Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Arctic Cat 400LE won't start without help

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 08:17 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Arctic Cat 400LE won't start without help

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]
I have a 2006 Arctic Cat 400LE with a starting problem. I am a Land Surveyor and use my Cat for work. Because of this it sits for a

while between the larger jobs that I use it on. This spring it became hard to start. My first action was to change the plug. It started

but needed a pump or three of the primer. Once started it ran well. (Like it always had for the last 2+ years). However, within a few

weeks it became increasingly hard to start and finally impossible. It seamed like there was a vacuum leak. I took it to a local

motorcycle/atv service shop (since my Cat dealer went out-of-business.) He shot air into the gas tank and it started. His diagnosis was

that the fuel pump had a leak in its diaphram and needed to be replaced. The pump is backordered. I have been using the ATV and blowing

air into the tank and priming the carb to start it. After it warms it runs perfectly.
Does anyone agree with the "fuel pump" diagnosis or is there another cause for this problem?
p.S. When I brought it to the shop there was a cracked crank case breather hose that was replaced. Also, when I first brought it back

from the shop gas began leaking from the bottom of the carb. There was a hose that wasn't hooked up and I plugged it into the bottom of

the carb. The overfow was probably caused by a stuck float but that doesn't appear to be a problem now.

Old 10-01-2008, 01:04 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you have gunk in the carb / fuel line. Do you have a fuel filter? If yes replace it. If no, add it. Get some SeaFoam additive and put it in the gas and run it. I'll bet it clears your problem up.

When you store the atv turn the gas off with the petcock and run the quad till it runs out of gas. This will keep the carb clean and gunk free.

Old 10-01-2008, 02:56 PM
Pro Rider

If you had a bad fuel pump the machine would cut out at high rpms while riding it. Due to it not getting enough fuel.

I agree with Hefty here in that the carb or vent tube could have some kind of obstruction. The carb is fairly easy to remove and clean.
1) remove the air box and filter.
2) remove the side panels
3) Remove the choke and throttle linkages
4) Remove the carb

Then remove the float bowl and with a can of carb cleaner spray cleaner through every hole and jet. Then blow air from a compressor through each hole/jet. Be careful not to get stuff in your eyes here. Then put it all back together in reverse.

You may want to check that the choke is functioning properly and not sticking.

Hope this helps
SJ

Old 10-01-2008, 07:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the advice guys. I spoke with the parts man at the shop today & he said that the mechanic cleaned the carb when he had the machine in.

I tend to agree with the carb though. Something may have lodged in a jet or the float. Also, the choke might be the culprit too, since it runs fine after it warms up.

I am still blowing into the gas tank and priming it to get it started. I do agree with the shop insomuchas the fuel does seem to be leaking/draining/leaving the carb after it sits. (Now if its sits for only a day).

I'll clean the carb & choke this weekend if I get the time and post what happens.

Old 09-03-2009, 12:11 AM
Weekend Warrior

I'm having a similar problem. Did claning the carb work?

Old 09-05-2009, 11:22 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Arctic Cat 400LE won't start without help

Originally Posted by surveypro
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]
I have a 2006 Arctic Cat 400LE with a starting problem. I am a Land Surveyor and use my Cat for work. Because of this it sits for a

while between the larger jobs that I use it on. This spring it became hard to start. My first action was to change the plug. It started

but needed a pump or three of the primer. Once started it ran well. (Like it always had for the last 2+ years). However, within a few

weeks it became increasingly hard to start and finally impossible. It seamed like there was a vacuum leak. I took it to a local

motorcycle/atv service shop (since my Cat dealer went out-of-business.) He shot air into the gas tank and it started. His diagnosis was

that the fuel pump had a leak in its diaphram and needed to be replaced. The pump is backordered. I have been using the ATV and blowing

air into the tank and priming the carb to start it. After it warms it runs perfectly.
Does anyone agree with the "fuel pump" diagnosis or is there another cause for this problem?
p.S. When I brought it to the shop there was a cracked crank case breather hose that was replaced. Also, when I first brought it back

from the shop gas began leaking from the bottom of the carb. There was a hose that wasn't hooked up and I plugged it into the bottom of

the carb. The overfow was probably caused by a stuck float but that doesn't appear to be a problem now.
Welcome to the forums surveypro2660562

The first thing i would do is replace the cheap fuel hose on your quad with Goodyear automotive fuel hose from Auto Zone , O'Reillys or where ever you buy your automotive part's and use the replacement screw type clamp's ; my '06 Arctic Cat 400 FIS Auto 4x4 was hard starting from day one and the automatic/electric/enrichener choke on these new quads are a joke when compared to my first 2 quad's manaul choke ( 86' Honda TRX350FM Foreman 4x4 , 93' Suzuki LT4WD 300 KQ ) they never failed to start no matter how cold even when they sat up for a month between ride's as long as i kept a battery tender to keep them charged ; as for your hunch about a vacume leak it could the cheap fuel hose that every manufacturer use now could very well be a big part of your problem !

About 6 month's after i bought my Cat 400 while i was hooking up the battery terminal's ( when charging battery terminal's should be disconnected to protect electronic componate's ) and started the quad i noticed fuel was seaping around the fuel pump body , after closer inspection it looked like the leak was coming from where the fuel hose hooked to the pump body , after i bought a lenth of Goodyear rubber fuel hose and the replacement screw type hose clamp's i was showing my brother-inlaw how the hose was leaking with the engine running brother-inlaw james put his finger on the hose above the pump body he said the gas was leaking down the hose ; when i moved to the other side of the quad i could see fuel spraying from a pin size hole in the hose where the hose was routed around the intake tube to the carb !

I replaced every section of the cheap fuel hose and clamp's it helped the starting in cold wheather , but i still have to wait about 30 second's after turning on the ignition switch for the fuel pump to build up pressure before hitting the start button ; this is the correct starting proceedjure for these auto/electric/enrichener type choke engine's.

When you first turn on the ignition switch you will notice a clicking sound and the LED display flickering then the display lights up , after this cycle is complete i then pump the choke lever about 3 time's before pushing the start button ; and if it doesn't start after 3 to 4 revolution's i will pump the lever 2 to 3 times while turning the engine over i've found this work's best for my 06' AC 400 .

Even after you do all the thing's that i did to my 400 if you still have trouble it could very well be a dirty carb if the tech who checked out your quad didn't do a complete teardown and cleaning of the carb , another thing it could be is that your valve's may need adjusted ; my 06' 400 made a small pop from the exhaust when i would shut the engine off after a good ride i haven't checked my valve's yet but i know it either need's the valve adjustment or rejetting the carb because both of these condition's will cause the exhaust pop on shutdown !

I know the carb jetting is running a little lean from the color of the spark plug , it's a greyish/white and it should be a brownish/tan color when the air/fuel mixture is correct ; on another note the 2006 and up all the AC 400 FIS , 500 , 650H1 , 650 V2 ( the 650V2 discontinued after 06' model ) and 700 H1 don't have a fuel/petcock shutoff valve .

I think the 2010 model's are the same (but don't hold me to this fact ) , HeftyLefty and swampyjunior know alot more than i do about quad's ; i was a Small Engine Tech for over 20 yrs. but my schooling was in lawn and garden i started working on my family , freind's and my own quad's after getting soaked 2 times by Dealership's !

Hope this help's you figure out the problem with your 06' 400 FIS 4x4 , even though you didn't notr if you 400 was Auto or Manual shift ; the engine would be the same good luck with your ride see you on the trail's .

p.s. i highly reccomend the use of the Sea Foam it's a great product .

williebee..........

Old 09-08-2009, 09:50 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default dirty jets

replace the slow jet and the main jet