Buying new vs used? - ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Buying new vs used?

Old 06-10-2015, 10:27 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Buying new vs used?

Hello, everyone! I have gotten myself in a bit of a pickle and need some advice. I just recently purchased (like 3 weeks ago) a brand new left-over 2014 Honda Rubicon. The wife and I already had a 1997 Honda Foreman 400 that we used for farm chores, etc. It's old and clunky but ran like a Swiss watch. It hadn't been ridden off the farm for about five years until we got the new Rubicon. As luck would have it, we realized really quickly once we started riding it that the front differential is pretty much shot on it - and for that matter, pretty much everything else. I have the front diff out and apart right now waiting on bearings. We have since realized that it's just too old and too worn out to take off the farm anymore and when it gets put back together it'll be relegated to farm use only - again.

All that said, we have decided to buy another ATV to add to the fleet so my wife can ride. We would really like to ride some of the ATV parks that are out there and want something that is reliable. We have both been riding since before we were teenagers (wow, that's a long time ago - I'm 40, she's 42). We owned a side by side at one point (Yamaha Rhino) but were never really all that happy with it. Too big for some of the trails here (Southeast KY) and just really tippy and top heavy. Harder to haul (won't fit in a pickup truck bed), etc. Simply put, we just like quads.

We agonized over what to buy when we bought the Rubicon. I have owned Yamaha's, Kawasaki's and Suzuki's primarily and my wife is a diehard Honda fan. I have to say, that old Foreman has been one heck of a tank so she has reason to be a big fan of Honda's. It just soldiers on even with all it's bumps and bruises. So, we kinda narrowed things down to either a Honda Rancher or a Polaris Sportsman 570 base (I liked the Polaris but I've never owned one). We spent days bouncing back and forth between them when we stumbled on the Rubicon for just a little bit more money and decided it was too good of a deal to pass up. So, we bought it. Fast forward to now.

Since we just bought the new Rubicon, we decided we really didn't want to purchase another brand new ATV. A good used one would be fine. Does not have to be anything fancy as it's a "second" atv. We set aside $3,000 in cash and started poring over craigslist ads to see what was out there.

All I can say is WOW! The vast majority of what I am seeing that is anywhere near our price range is either heavily abused junk that is under five years old or low mileage good shape quads that are well over 10 years old. Neither of which really sounds appealing to me but am I wrong? Isn't sitting around for 10 or 12 years gathering dust just as much of a death sentence as being abused (dried seals that begin to leak when put back into use, green ethanol gas crud slowly closing off parts of the carb, etc.) ?

For example, I ran across a 2004 Suzuki Eiger 400 4x4 for $3500. It has 380 miles on it and looks brand spanking new. NADA average retail is $1820. So, I know they're asking too much BUT even if I could get this guy down to, say, $3,000, is it worth it? There are literally dozens more like this. Similar prices, similar mileage.

We stumbled across a sale that the Polaris dealer near Chattanooga, TN is advertising. $4,999 out the door for a 2015 base Polaris Sportsman 570. My wife keeps referencing that when we talk about spending 3K on an ATV that's over 10 years old. "For a couple thousand more, we can get a brand new atv with a bigger engine AND a warranty". She's right, but is it worth it? Are the Sportsman 570 base models good machines? For that matter, just down the road is Southern Honda. They have some Honda ATVs around the same price point.

Like I said, everything used that is near our 3K price range is either over 10 years old or beat to death. What do you folks make of this? Am I being too picky? Am I crazy for thinking that the Suzuki Eiger I mentioned above is overpriced? Is it too old or has sat too long to be a reliable machine for what we want to do?

Thanks so much for any advice you can give!

Here's another example I found on CL: 2003 Arctic Cat 400 4x4. 383 Miles (is that even possible in 12+years). Price is $3,599. Looks good in pics, but not perfect. Is this a good buy? My wife will say: "For, $1,400 more you can get a brand new Polaris with bigger engine and warranty"

Yet another update: 2005 HONDA 650 RINCON This is a 2005 Rincon with TWENTY THOUSAND MILES and they still want $3700. OMG!!!

Old 06-10-2015, 11:40 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default used is the way to go

i have a 2006 polaris sportsman 800 with 400 miles and only 40 hours on it with a 6" gorilla lift and heavy duty springs that i paid 14,000 for in 2007... i dont have the space for it or get the time to use it like i would like to so im thinking about selling it. im thinking about asking around $6,000.00 for it... it also has 31" ITP tires and custom wheels...with a radio and 2500lb warn winch that has never been used...

Old 06-10-2015, 03:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have a 1986 Honda TRX125cc and it runs like a boss. From what I can tell the previous owner beat the crap out of it, so don't judge by year. If you can, go test drive it. If the owner will not let you, do not buy it. I wouldn't shy away from an old atv just because of age, not sure how many miles an atv can take on average...20,000 sounds like a lot.

Old 06-10-2015, 06:35 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!

I have bought 3 Honda sport quads in the past 5 years or so. The newest being a 96. None have needed much more than reaching wear items such as brake pads and bearings. It can be a gamble, and how comfortable you are at diagnosing and fixing issues should play into it. I like buying used stuff, and I like buying new when the budget allows.

Old 06-11-2015, 09:46 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

I ride a 2001 and a 2007 ATV and would take them anywhere without a worry. I buy used all the time with every thing and saved lots of money. Never bough a bad one yet.

As soon as anything leaves the dealer's lot it's loses value and is considered use.

I go by condition more then year. I,ll take a 2005 with 1000 miles before a 2011 with 2000 miles.

Old 06-11-2015, 10:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

OK, here's another case in point. Found a 2011 Honda Rancher on Craigslist. Pics looked great. Just over 1100 miles and about 180 hours. Priced $3500. PERFECT. Went home at lunch and hooked the trailer to the truck. Left work a bit early today, stopped at the bank to get the cash and drove over an hour.

Lady was super nice. She opens the garage door and there sits this worn out piece of junk. I asked, "is this it?". Yep. The plastic was heavily faded and scratched (I don't mind the scratches, really, but that heavily faded in 4 years???). She later told me that it had sat outside year round the first couple of years they owned it. Plastic fenders were torn in two spots. Seat was torn. Rear rack had ZERO paint on the back. Must have used it to pull something a LOT with a chain. The kicker, the entire right side of the housing where the key switch should be was gone and the wires were sticking out. She had to literally twist them together to get the display to come on and to get it to start. It did start. She said they had left it outside overnight a couple weeks ago and someone had tried to steal it and cut out the key switch. She said they hadn't had time to get it fixed.

Admittedly, it was reasonably clean underneath but how likely is it that any maintenance had ever been done to it considering how poorly it had been treated.

I didn't bother to even haggle over the price. She was a really nice lady and as politely as I could I just left. What the heck do people do to these machines? She said the paid $8K new for that machine. Why in the world would you treat it that way??!!??

This is what is driving me insane with buying a used quad - they look great in the ad but they are complete junk in person. Why would anybody spend that kind of money and then trash the machine????

I am spending a fortune traveling around dragging an empty trailer looking at junk. The wasted gas money would go a long way toward paying for that new machine.

Old 06-12-2015, 09:12 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

She said the paid $8K new for that machine.
$8000 for a 420 Rancher? You must be talking Canadian money? My friend bought a NEW from the dealer 500 Foreman ES for $8000 Canadian.

When buying online with a road trip involved this is what we do. We contact the owner and tell them we expect it to be in the condition they state and if its not just let us know so we do not waste a trip,no heart feelings.
Ask if the pics of the ATV are resent . You can ask them to sent new "High Resolution" pics from different angles by e-mail.
No way you should not of spotted all those flaws if her pics were any good.

Here is how pics should look http://wwwa.autotrader.ca/a/Can-Am/R...orup=62_15_361 no way to hide faded plastic and cracks. (Click on image to enlarge) At $10,000 I would not buy it .LOL

Old 06-12-2015, 03:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

2011 Honda Rancher 420 4x4

Here's the ad. Only now that I know what to look for can I spot anything that looks "off". Yes, I can see that the plastic around where the key switch is gone but barely. What I do NOT see are the wires that they had pulled out so it could be started. You can see what looks like a small spot in the seat, but that didn't concern me all that much. It was much bigger in person. What I don't see is faded/scratched plastic, no pics of the rear where all the rust is (my fault for not asking but judging by the condition of the other three sides, I didn't deem it a problem), no close ups of the torn plastic over the left rear wheel or the missing plastic rivet there and the torn black plastic. Again, I'll take the blame for it. That's exactly why I wasn't angry with the seller and left on good terms without complaining.

More than the fact that the Rancher was in much worse shape than pictured, for me, is the fact that anyone would do that to a machine that they paid good money for. While I doubted her statement about paying $8K for it (and no, this isn't Canada), after looking at what some dealerships are charging, I can see how someone who didn't shop well would get duped into paying that.

Is it my fault for not asking the correct questions or enough questions? Absolutely. I'll own it. Should the owner have said something, at a minimum, about the wires? I think so.

Everyone talks about how new ATVs lose tons of value the minute they roll off the lot, but if people are getting the prices they are asking for these quads then depreciation has stopped altogether. LOL!

Here's a doozy:
2013 honda 500 rubicon

Keep in mind, I literally just paid $6950 for a 2014 Rubicon OUT THE DOOR one month ago today.

Old 06-12-2015, 06:49 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!

Patience is the name of the game unfortunately. That Rubicon may never sell at that price.

Old 06-13-2015, 09:36 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Scooter86 View Post
Patience is the name of the game unfortunately. That Rubicon may never sell at that price.
That guys price is out of line. I like this for $3900. My friend has a 2002 500 AC from new and it never gave him troubles.
2005 Arctic Cat 500 4x4 ATV Excellant Condition You can tell it had a easy life.

For $6900 I would look at this with only 250 miles, winch ,back carrier and nice rims. 2012 750 twin.
I even look at how the person lives. This guy takes care of his yard and house and looks like he can,t get out for a ATV ride very often. He lose a lot of money for two tanks of gas of riding.

http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/snw/5055371674.html