Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Pulling power.

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2001, 12:04 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this is not a big deal, but i rather have a atv the has low-end power then being able to go 60-65 mph. When i used my 400 4x4 last summer up at are cabin doing some work getting ready fro deer hunting. I was pulling logs and this guy who has a cabin down the road came. He was riding in Honda Rancher. He said it had all the power in the world so i said ok go pull that pine tree that we just cut down. He backed up to it and just sat there spinng his tires. It was great. He said it was because the ground was wet. Well after that the AC 400 4x4 dug 4 holes and then started to pull it out of the woods. He was pissed that his Rancher was not as powerful as he thought it was. So again he said it was because the wet ground. He said lets go out to the dry dirt road and hook up to each other and see who wins. Well the AC pulled him away with no problem. Both atv's where stock. Sorry back to the ? i had for you guys. Will the AC 500 shift in low range out pull the Honda 450ES. Im just wondering and also both atvs are stock. Im just wondering so next time someone challeges me we can put money on it.
Thanks

Old 02-02-2001, 12:46 PM
Pro Rider

I wouldn't put money on the 450ES. The 2001 model 500 Cat will probably pull the 450ES.
My brother has a Suzuki 500 auto and hooked it up with a 450es, before they could tell which one would out pull the other the 450ES blew the rear differential after a couple of jerks. That is the honest truth.

Old 02-02-2001, 12:57 PM
Range Rover

I would like to believe it would. From what I seen of my neighbors 450s, its not that great. The cat seems to be lowered geared, and the front diff of the cat seems to work allot better then the 450s of my nieghbors. IM not sure about the wieght of each machine, but it should be fairly close. But you have to remember the cat has the most trq out of any utility quad there is (except for the new kawi, thats not out yet) And trq is the rating of how much work you can do, so trq is the important figure when it comes to pulling. Hp is just the rate of wich you can do the work. Look at deisle trucks. They HP numbers are usually down compared to gas engines (except for the isuzo one in the GM HD series) but if your a serious puller you will take the diesel for sure. My parents had an 1984 ford 3/4ton that they added a turbo too. And that would pull the 35' fith wheel camper much easier then their new dodge with the v10. Not saying the v10 has a hard time pulling it. But you could tell the deisel had alott more trq. Sure the deisel only topped out at 85 (it had govner), but could it smoke the tires with best of them. AS you can see I really miss the old deisel. well enough of my babbling, and back onto the subject. My personal opinion from riding both I think you should be able to pull a 450 honda backwards.
matty

Old 02-03-2001, 12:16 AM
Range Rover

I'm going out for the day on Sat. with 2 other friends. One has a 2000 SP500 and the other a 1999 450ES. I will challenge him to a pull but I'm pretty sure he will back down. All I can do is ask. I will wait for him to brag about his maching as I know he will... then I will quietly challenge him. We'll see what happens. I will post sunday and let you know what happend. We're also taking a digital camera so I should have some pictures also.

shmoky

Old 02-04-2001, 03:13 AM
Pro Rider

Well stock for stock on asphalt I know some one who pulled a 450s with an AC300 in superlow range. This was with out the diff locked. In low range it could not pull the 450 tho.

I've also hooked up with a 450es with 27x10x12" vamps and he could not pull me even tho I had stock tires. The only thing that has moved me was when I went in a push off(bumper to bumper) with a 450 that had 27x12x12 Rear mud bugs. Both of our bikes raised the front wheels off the ground and only the rears were touching. IT was all over after that cause it was in like 3" of slopy mud and I had stock tires. I was hitting 2nd gear just spining going backwards.

He sold his Before I got my claws so I can't try anything with him anymore, but I'll find someone/thing to go with. Either stock for stock or moded-- I don't care.

Old 02-04-2001, 03:27 AM
Trailblazer

GO GETTEM BOYS

Old 02-04-2001, 06:01 PM
Range Rover

Sorry guys:
The Honda and the Polaris both turned pansy on me and chickend out for the day of quading. (apparently partied to hard the nite before) So I found a different friend with a 1990 350 Honda fourtrax. Didn't matter to me. We just went riding and had a Fantastic time playing in the bush making new trails and checking out Elk and Moose licks. Even found some mud to get stuck in. Than later went up higher in the hills and found some snow to play in. Overall a very enjoyable riding day.

I will have to challenge the others on another day.

shmoky