Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

AC 500 snow removal

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2001, 07:05 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any advice on ten speed vs auto for snow removal. Have selected AC 500 over other makers but am stuck on which transmission to get. Live in mountains of New Mexico and AC will be used primarly for removal of snow from 1000 Ft of driveway. User is senior citizen and wife wants to rec ride once in a while.

Old 02-06-2001, 07:25 PM
Pro Rider

It is no mistake with either one.

Old 02-06-2001, 08:14 PM
Pro Rider

For simplicity get the auto. But you won't go wrong with either!

Old 02-06-2001, 09:15 PM
Range Rover

hey heytek,i was stuck in somewhat the same delema. i get tons-o-snow and wife needed the simplicity of an auto. after buying the automatic i was surprised at the responsiveness. caught me off guard. have never regretted it and probably won't go back to auto-clutch again. can't go wrong with either but life is easier with the auto. also, the engine breaking is probably the best out there.i have not slipped the belt as of yet. suzuki did a good job on this one....ps. make sure you get the winch as the incentive(for obvious reasons)and get the 60" plow. i bought the arctic cat plow, it's lighter because it's made from a heavy duty plastic over steel frame.

Old 02-07-2001, 12:28 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks Guys, Was leaning toward the auto but the responses convinced me. Was also thinking about the 50" plow but will think a bit more on the subject and yes I am getting the winch.

Thanks again

Old 02-07-2001, 02:55 AM
Pro Rider

Heytek:
The auto is definately an impressive "worker". As the user is a senior citizen and the wife wants to ride leisurely, I think you're wise on the decision of the Auto 'Cat. They are so much easier to operate, it's amazing. If you plan on doing a bunch of sidewalks, go ahead with the 50" plow. However, if you intend to do mostly your 1000' driveway, or other large areas, I'd probably lean more towards the 60". The 'Cat won't have any trouble at all with that size plow, and you'll clear that drive a lot faster with the wider blade.

Best of luck,

Mike

Old 02-07-2001, 01:29 PM
Range Rover

I have the Auto with the 50" Moose plow. The Auto is great for the parking lot I plow. Lots of different speeds going through it, and no shifting. A long driveway probably wouldn't matter as much, either would work well.

As far as what size plow goes I have the 50" for two reasons. One is for sidewalks. The other is that I transport the quad/plow in the back of the pickup. I drive the quad in, then put the plow behind it, putting the push tube under the quad and facing the plow towards the tailgate. A 60" plow will not fit across the bed of my truck (Chevy fullsize) by about 1/4" or so. So the 50" works better in my application. Thought I would relate that if that situation would apply to you in the future.

Old 02-07-2001, 01:56 PM
Range Rover

Heytek
I too, was in a debate over what size plow to get. I finally chose the 50" moose plow. The only reason I went with the moose was my uncle works at a local polaris shop as a mechanic, and he gave it to me for cost. It hasnt giving me any troubles as of yet. If I where looking at getting a plow now, I would look at the cycle country's, I believe they have a remote blade turner. Wich I think would come in handy. it would be allot better then having to get off the machine and turn the blade. Well back to the point why I chose the smaller blade. I just have a lot of tight trails that I have to plow out. And it fits in back of our pickup a 60" wont. The 60" though would come nice if you have a big drive way and not allot of tight places to plow. Well best of luck with your cat.
matty

Old 02-07-2001, 02:25 PM
Pro Rider

I haul my AC 500 Auto & 60" Moose in my Dodge Ram Long Bed. I have to angle the blade on the pushtube to get the blade thru the back of the bed but it all fits nicely. I wish I could load it all in without disconnecting the blade from the Cat, but we can't have it all now can we? I'll probably get a trailer for next year.

Lance

Old 02-07-2001, 05:10 PM
Range Rover

Catlance,

I guess I should have explained a little farther. The 60" won't fit in unless you leave the tailgate down and angle it.

I have this paranoia of having my quad roll out the end of truck unless the tailgate's up. I had the pleasure of watching the quad roll back and whack the tailgate in the rear-view mirror once while I was on the road (at least it didn't come through the back window ). I now double check the brake, leave it in gear, and tie it down good.

Liked your snow pics, I might have to post some if we ever get any more snow.

Quick Reply: AC 500 snow removal