Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

4x4 Shootout

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2001, 06:32 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you hit the nail on the head yourself....the Artic Cat won't win any drag races. I don't know why that is so damn important to those magazine and their tests. I've never wanted to set a record on towing trailers around the yard. It seems like to me if you are truly set up for dragging stuff, you are naturally gonna be slower due to lower gearing. I could be wrong, though.

Old 02-15-2001, 08:13 PM
Pro Rider

I wonder if these magazines pay attention to these forums? I think they should. Maybe they would sell more magazines if they did.

Old 02-15-2001, 10:25 PM
Pro Rider

Why can you not have it both ways?Let the high range bring the 500 up to 60MPH and for pull time or plow time just use the low range.

Old 02-16-2001, 01:02 AM
Pro Rider

I think in a lot of these situations the test riders aren't even familiar enough with these machines to be able to accurately assess them. I know it took me more than just a couple of hours to adjust to a 4x4 as opposed to a 2x4 like I was used to using. After riding my Quadzilla all day it still takes me awhile to get my four-by legs under me when I jump on the Prairie. I'm not saying they don't know how to ride, I'm just saying that different quads have different characteristics and Arctic Cat is definitely in that category. I do try to get as much info from these tests as I can but draw most of my conclusions from seeing these machines in action myself.

Old 02-16-2001, 11:10 AM
Range Rover

Foreman4x4:
I would have to agree with you to a degree. We have an AC 300 2x4 and a 5004x4. Now with many miles of trail riding these together, side by side same trails, hills, and many different situations, I am amazed of the performance and abilities of the 300. And it is only a 2x4. With the low range of the 300, it really can climb and pull. The real difference is deep mud or sand. That is where the 500 4x4 leaves the 300 behind. Now a 300 4X4 may be a different story. I think in most “trail type” of riding, a 300 4x4 will go about any where a larger class machine will.
I personally do not see the real need for larger engines and heavier/larger machines. But, that’s just me. I enjoy trail riding and to be honest, the 300- 500-class utility ATV we now have is quite enough. I very seldom have a need to go over 30mph trail riding .I have the necessary torque to climb and go through or over about anything I encounter.
Now I no others have different riding preferences and different interest. Those who like the mud and use large tires or those who like sand “MAY “ have a need for this extra power. In wide-open spaces like sand dunes or remote mud pits, or private lands maybe the extra power has its place. However, we all know this new breed of machine and power will end up on public lands. We also know there are always the few who will abuse It.
. I would not like to be out trail riding and encounter an ATV coming around a corner or over a hill at 70mph with his new 700cc+ super machine. We all like more power and speed, however there is a time and place for it. What worries me is how this will affect our sport and the industry. Will this turn out to be like the 3 wheelers did several years ago? Will the government step in and ban 4 wheelers due the increased injuries, speed, noise, and complaints from non-riders?
As ATV enthusiasts, we all need to be responsible…more than ever with all this new power

Old 02-16-2001, 12:28 PM
Pro Rider

It,s the same for our 4 day fishing 4 trips we have to carry every thing in on the racks of our quads from the trucks and camp 25 miles away down a wild old bush trail.I have the only large heavy 500 in the group but every quad is loaded front and back until no more will fit on the things and we still can't bring all the goodies we would like to.Once heading down the trail it is easy to see the lighter quads are much more unstable under the heavy load and want to tip over on the bad sections.We now bought a large utility trailer that can hold the load 3 bikes had to carry in.So now I load up the same as before but also pull this trailer in with less trouble than the smaller quads have with the racks only loaded up.That is where large and heavy 4x4 comes in real handy, because the next largest 4wd in our group, a 400Kodiak has the power in low range but it just is not able to stay stable and pull like the larger physicial size 500 can.

Old 02-16-2001, 12:55 PM
Pro Rider

Tim1
I agree with what you said, until somebody has been in those situations they don't believe there is that much difference, but there is. I have owned a 250 4x4 and a 300, before my 500. I will never go back down to a smaller size again. I for one can not afford to buy a 4x4 machine with cash money so I have to purchase my machine with monthly payments. There is not a whole lot of difference in monthly payments for what you are getting between the 300's, 400's and the 500's. The best thing I ever did concerning machine size was spending a little more per month and getting what I really needed and wanted.

Old 02-16-2001, 07:39 PM
Range Rover

Count me in as a happy AC camper. I can put my Auto 500 in 4X4, low range, and out climb ANY thing out there. Try me!!!!
With the right Muddin tires, I'll challenge ANY other machine out there. As for top end---If I wanted top end, I'd have gotten a two-stroke something or other.

Old 02-16-2001, 09:27 PM
Pro Rider

I find the opposite.My bike climbs alot better in high range, especially this one large sand pit we have around here you have to keep the wheel speed up or you have no chance at making it to the top.

Old 02-16-2001, 10:04 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Then if the 450 did good, why would a 500 AC not? Its pretty clear cut that a 500AC will bury a 450 honda. They really aren't in the same league unless you start looking at fit and finish. The only thing I like better about the 450 is the screwed in plastic panels and the handlebar mounted light.

Quick Reply: 4x4 Shootout