Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Bad spark plug or what?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 09:52 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad spark plug or what?

Okay...bad news. i replaced the plug ran it for 12 minutes and it died. restarted it went back to the shop stopped and it died. I started checking for ant loose connections/plugs. started it and drove it a few times in a circle and smelt something burning. i stopped and looked down to my left near the starter and there was smoke coming from where the wires go into the engine. they go to the stator i am told. these things are smoldering. i immediatly turn the thing off! I have smelt this before but had passed it off. I hit the starter again and it starts...no smoking wires. I drive it back to the shop and turn it off. Now what? thats just scary. do not know much about what the stater {not starter} does, but i'm learning. has anyone ever attempted to put one in? looks like it could be a job. And the price for a new one is somewhere around 450.00. taking it to the shop. Any suggestions...has anyone put one in before? How difficult is it? help.help.help. and thanks to all you dudes that responded to my SOS>

Old 03-10-2009, 01:00 AM
Pro Rider

That sounds like your wires rubbed through where they come from the stator and shorted out. I think there should be a rubber grommet there to protect the wires that I have seen move on friends machines when they pressure wash it. There was a post on here a while back where a guy had a similar issue (melting the stator wires) and put some tape on the wires to separate them and put silicone on them and it took care of his problem. Might be worth a try before spending $450.

SJ

Old 03-10-2009, 09:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

I well try that! thanks for the tip.