Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

2000 500 4x4 automatic

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 12:46 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 500 4x4 automatic

I replaced the battery thinking it was too week to turn my machine over. it would crank and crank, but not fast enough to start. I have been checking connections voltage at connections can not find anything wrong. I have been able to pull start it all winter with one or two pulls. tonight I went ice fishing and it was sitting there a few hours wouldnt start. I tried to pull start it and it will not pull anywhere fast enough to start.wtf? I think there is maybe to much compression. The manual says there is a compression relief on the 250 and 300 but not my 500 of course. any help would be appreciated. Does anyone know what kind of money i would be looking at? not that I have any.Haha

Old 03-13-2009, 03:45 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 500 4x4 automatic

First thing that comes to my mind is "Is it getting fuel?" check the plug after cranking it and see if it smells like fuel.

While the plug is out use the starter ond/or pull rope to turn it over and make sure it is not "binding up" that would mean you have bigger internal engine issues.

If it tuns over easy with the plug out and the plug has fuel on it, then make sure the air filter is clean and it can get enough air.

After that I might try replacing the spark plug.

Becasue if it is getting fuel and has spark it should at least pop or sputter a little but. Even if it is not getting them in the proper ratio to run correctly.

My 500 TRV has the same engine and it can be a real pain to pull start. I slowly pull the rpull rope until I feel it come up on a compression stroke. Then let the rope back in, grab the rope with 2 hands and pull ashard as I can. This is actually my wife's machine but she can not pull start it.

If that all checks out I would make sure I have good clean electrical connections and check my oil level. I have seen the float stick on an ATV in the carb and fill the cylinder with fuel. Some trickles by and into the oil. After it turn over a few times the combustion chamber dries out but now you have too much oil and it is diluted with furl too much. So too much pressure builds up under the piston that oil/fuelmixture is pushed out the crankcase vent tube and into the air filter. So check the air filter.

All I have mentioned above you can do yourself and is free. Except, a new plug wich should set you back $3-$4.

You have probably already done this, just to be sure double check your on/off run switch is in the correct position and that your headlights work when the key is turned to the proper place.

I am leaning towards a fuel issue from what you have said but could be electrical OR something else.

SJ