Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Tires

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2001, 02:20 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

27x12x12 Vamps= 34 lbs and 3 ozs
27x12x12 Tri-Claws= 34 lbs and 9 ozs
28x10x12 Vamps= 41-43 lbs

This is what I have reseached. The 27" sizes come from the monster 27" shoot out. The 28" sizes come from HL and freind who own these tires.

There is no need to thank me for the recomendation. You have provided a GREAT weath of info, thats the mosty valueable thing in the world if you ask me. Well, so I must say thank YOU.

Old 02-14-2001, 02:36 AM
Pro Rider

Ahhh, cool. Thanks for clearing that up, it was the 28's I was thinking of. You are right about the value of information, it's priceless. That's one thing I'm really glad to have over here in the AC forum, a bunch of great guys with great, usefull information. There is no need to sift through the b.s. here, that you'll find in other forums, it's mostly all good, usefull information that any one of us could use on any given day. That's what this place is all about. Man, I'm getting really itchy to get out riding though. Haven't been able to since the drowning incident a while back. I just sold two more log beds and have used all my logs I had cut and dried, so I'll be heading up to the property in the next couple weeks to bust through the snow again to find more logs for stripping, drying and then building more beds, tables and couches out of. Can't hardly wait to get the 'Cat out for a spin again!

Mike

Old 02-14-2001, 02:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

I am a bit confused on 27" tires
I have a AC 500 2000' model
I have been told that the 27" tri claws will height wise no problem without a lift kit. However now I am being told that the 27" 589's ,which from what i know measure shorter than the triclaws, that they will rub. Can someone clear this up for me.
Thanks

Old 02-15-2001, 12:42 AM
Pro Rider

Flex:
Would they possibly be talking about the 27" 589's rubbing on the front??? I think they would be around 11" wide or so, and if placed on the front, may rub on the shocks, but that's just a guess. The 589's are indeed shorter than the Tri-Claws, which fit fine. Mine are 12" wide, and have those little round spike things sticking out on each sidewall. At full articulation you might get a very slight rub on the heat shield for the muffler, but barely enough to knock the dirt off. I'm sorry I can't help you with this one, I just don't see how the 27" 589 could rub anywhere on the rear of the machine-was it on ITP wheels? I've heard they will rub on the break lines or something of that nature on the right hand side. Maybe Boner or Andy has an idea with this one???

Good luck with the search,

Mike

Old 02-15-2001, 01:38 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Probably talking about the muffler rub with 12" on back. Yeah that will happen when you really squat the rear suspension to that side, but it doesn't happen often. It didn't bother me, and I'm one of the pickiest SOB's in the world. With the more offset ITP wheels, it doesn't really do it as much. Like I said, you have to be coming up out of an uneven hole with all the weight on the left rear for it to do it. Claws are taller than 589's too. Don't let anyone tell you different, unless they have 20lbs in the 589's and like 2lbs of air in the Claws.

As far as fender rub with Bi's on front and Tri's on back, you are really going to have to jump it and land hard for it to happen. I may have done it once. Maybe.

Old 02-15-2001, 02:35 AM
Pro Rider

Here is my take on the tires fitting problem. Andy, Cowboy, and I all have these 27"+ tires and are claiming they don't rub. But the problem is they will and we don't know it yet.(stay with me cause I know Andy just fell out of his chair- joke)

While Andy, Cowboy, and I are all testing out how these tires refuse to rub when we flex our suspensions to the max we forgot to load our racks pass the limits or jump them. I have not jumped my cat with the claws and no lift kit, but I am almost positive they will rub on the rears now that I think of it. I think the lift kit Cowboy did will be the BEST mod for this. It stiffens up the spring rate so when hauling a passenger/heavy load or jumping the springs are less likely to bottom out.

So basically, you can bottom out 1 shock at a time, but if you bottom out 2 fronts or 2 rears at a time they will probaly rub with no lift kit.

The good news is that you REALY have to ride aggressive(like someone-- not gonna name him tho) to bottom the suspension out, or you have to have one hell of a load on your racks (try about 550 lbs on the rear rack alone-- not including rider and front rack weight).

Old 02-15-2001, 07:42 AM
Trailblazer

I am running 589's 27 inch 9 wide front and 11 wide back.The rubbing will happen on both the muffler and the upper-fenders on the rear IF you ride double(350 lbs) in good rough terrain(low range 2nd gear).The front will only fender rub when jumping(single rider)or hitting a rut a little to hard.Over all I am very pleased with the fit and a real smooth ride.
I an running on stock rims with about 4psi on both
ends.
KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

OUT