Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

2007 650 TRV Parts Problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 04:28 AM
No Ruts, No Glory
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So if we REALLY want to be safe for newbies and proriders alike, should we also just eliminate manual transmissions and/or clutches altogether so that no one misses a shift somehow?

Experience lets us deal with emergency/difficult situations and not do the wrong thing in response. I have never grabbed the wrong brake lever, but that may be due to the fact that I have ridden motorcycles since I was 8 (40 years ago) and had years of experience operating brake/clutch/foot levers before I even started riding 3-wheelers in the 1980's and ATVs in 1992.

The issue I raised was how single lever brakes lessens the degree of control over the machine I am riding...I don't know how that issue would be confusing...and maybe it's just me, but my having more control over the machine I'm riding really makes it seem safer to ride, ESPECIALLY when it comes to stopping effectively.

Ever ridden a streetbike (or dirtbike) and had to lay it down at speed? I have, and you don't grab the front brake to make the back end slide out (you would flip over, or the front would wash out and you would dump it if you locked up the front brake)

Watch a motocross (ATV or dirtbike) sometime, and you'll see how tight corners are negotiated at speed by the pro riders....they come into the corner fast, and slide the rear around either by first locking the rear wheel and sliding it around, or by hitting the front brake and hitting the gas to make the rear wheel(s) spin and slide the bike around the corner...they would definitely not want a "one lever does all" brake system

An experienced rider can also make a quad power slide through a turn or even a 180 from a stop by turning the bars, applying the front brakes and then applying power...the rear tires will spin and turn you around (granted, it works best in sand or gravel and not on hard surfaces) This is handy when you have limited turn-around space. This can't be done with a "one lever does it all" system

As an afterthought, the Suzuki quadrunner was ahead of the pack with all of the available ways to control the transmission...in low range, 4wd diff lock you could climb over almost anything. From my own personal experience riding that exact machine, I know that while 4wd was engaged the rear wheels would have locked up regardless of whether the front or rear brake lever was used.