Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Timberwolf 250 ignition switch/wiring help

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 02:02 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Timberwolf 250 ignition switch/wiring help

Got my 'new-to-me' 1992 Timberwolf running - after sitting outside for five years, it didn't take much to get it running well, all things considered! Here's my problem (or at least, today's problem!): I'm trying to bypass the ingnition switch - it didn't come with a key (no, it's DEFINITELY not stolen), the ignition was in the On position when I got it. I'd been using my jumper pack to work on it, now that it's running, I put a battery in it. Leaving the switch in the On position would have drained the battery, so I tried turning the switch off with a screwdriver, hoping that it had been jimmied, and I could turn it back on with the screwdriver. Yep, you can guess how that turned out! So I unplugged the switch from the wiring harness, sure seems very basic, just four wires. 92 and 93s have a plug with three wires - red, brown and black, and a separate connector - black with a white stripe. 1994 and up, all four wires are incorporated into one four wire plug, same colors. I found a pdf service manual with a wiring diagram, but it's a little vague. Seems like they want me to jump the red and brown wires, but I got nothin'. I tried other combinations, still no go. It got dark, so I didn't get to check the fuse, could have blown it trying the other combos. So - long story short: how can I wire this connector temporarily until I can order a new switch? And what are these wires? I was guessing that the red and brown were some sort of positives, the black was a neg, and the separate black w/ white stripe was a ground. Second - any of you all have a 1992-93 switch you'd part with? The 94 and up, there's dozens of 'em on Ebay, 6 bucks and up. 92 and 93 - oh yeah - only two of them, starting at 80 dollars. I'll probably just buy a cheap one and make my own four wire connecters, but I like to save factory plugs when I can. And last - what fuse would that be? I'll check to see if I blew a fuse, but in the meantime, hope I can hook this up so I can go on to my next problem - brakes! Hey, thanks in advance for your help, you guys really know your stuff!

Old 06-04-2015, 02:23 AM
Weekend Warrior

Two pics of the male plug on the ignition switch. Again, 1994 and up models have all 4 wires incorporated into a square plug, 1993 and down are like this one - three terminals and a separate black with white stripe. This one was already givin' me grief, the one terminal kept pulling out of the connector.

Old 06-04-2015, 03:26 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

Most quads have a kill switch for the spark as the ignition system is separate from the battery system. So one wire goes to earth one to the CDI, one to the battery and one to the things that need a live battery feed, lights horn etc. I expect joining black to black/white and red to brown will get you going, but the black to black/white may work the other way round, ie, leave disconnected for running and connect to stop engine.

Old 06-09-2015, 02:28 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for your help, Merryman! Got it all squared away - took the easy route and bought a new switch!