Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Is there a way tomake the thumb throttle lighter

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 09:13 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there a way tomake the thumb throttle lighter

My wife has a AC 366 and the thumb throttle is stiff for her and it gets her thumb worn out on longer rides, I did notice that hers is harder to push in than on my Honda Rancher I was just wondering if there is any way to lighten it up.

Old 09-18-2009, 09:26 AM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tom of Barbaria
My wife has a AC 366 and the thumb throttle is stiff for her and it gets her thumb worn out on longer rides, I did notice that hers is harder to push in than on my Honda Rancher I was just wondering if there is any way to lighten it up.
Nope just tell her to make her thumb stronger........

OK seriously though all kidding aside, it is something that many ATV riders complain about, especially those that are somewhat new to riding. The truth is that just like any other muscle in the body, eventually your thumb gets so strong you can go all day with no problems at all. After riding for many years, mine now only hurts the first couple rides of the season and then not at all again. And I ride a sport machine so the gas is always on/off through the gears.

However, there are some measures you can take to aid the pain........

Make sure your throttle linkage is lubed up good. Sometimes inside the throttle box things can get a bit bound up and people forget to lube it.

Also they make thumb throttle extenders, which make them longer and easier to push. They can even be modified so that you can reach them with your palm for those long slow rides.

Also another trick I've learned is to leave the throttle box a little loose on the bars. Then for long slow rides you can push the box down at an angle where the thumb throttle is exactly where your thumb naturally rests in a grip. So it can be "on" while your hands are in normal grip position, and "off" when you take your thumb off.

If hers is just too tight, something is probably wrong with it. If the lube does not work maybe the linkage is kinked or something, or rubbing somewhere.

Old 09-20-2009, 08:50 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a adapter that you can get at Cabala's that will make it a wrist movement instead of a thumb movement. Haven't tried it yet myself, I wonder if anyone else has modified the ATV to work like a dirt bike?