Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

04 AC 250 having issues. HELP PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 04:38 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 AC 250 having issues. HELP PLEASE

Hello all, I’m new to the forum. I am having some problems with my 04 Arctic Cat 250 utility. I picked it up used and don’t know how it was treated before I got. When I got it had been sitting for about 10 months. I cleaned the carb real good. Cleaned fuel tank, new filter, and petcock. New battery. Got it running and the rectifier was found to be bad. Replaced with a used one. Worked fine. It was running for about 3 weeks and started to loose power and backfired a couple of times. Cleaned carb again. Seemed to run ok. Started acting like it didn’t like the cool mornings. I’m in south Texas so its not cold down here.
Went to start one morning and it acted like It was flooded. Since then its been fouling plugs and smoking white grey smoke, strong smell of fuel in exhaust. Checked compression it was 165 lbs. within range of specs. So much fuel it was dripping out of exhaust flange under engine. I cleaned carb again soaked in cleaner, all jets are clean with no obstructions. I replaced the float valve, air fuel needle, spring, washer and oring and the starter valve. Changed oil and filter. Have spark. Starts after some time but will not idle have to feather throttle and will die if let off gas. Will back fire and die. Pull plugs covered in heavy black soot.
Checked magneto and trigger checked out ok, checked coil seems weak according to specs, but good fire. I don’t know how to check CDI, service manual says cant be checked replace with known good one.
I’ve spent probably 24 hours working on this ting. Getting frustrated. Figured I would post and maybe get an answer. Sorry so long just wanted to give details.
ANY HELP would be appreciated. Thanks in advance
Jimmy

Old 12-11-2009, 11:00 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default My Carb problem

I have had my 250 auto for a year, I got hung in a cedar tree and it boogered up the choke cable. Caused fouled plugs. I took the carb off and lubed the enricher (choke) with some white lithium. This helped. Cable needs replacement. Your choke cable may be hanging.

Old 12-13-2009, 03:43 PM
Trailblazer

Kinda sounds like the float is sticking or maybe the needle seat is bad. Either way it is letting too much fuel in. Could also be as mentioned above, choke.

Old 12-15-2009, 09:08 AM
Trailblazer

I replaced the float valve, air fuel needle, spring, washer and oring and the starter valve.
Sorry, I missed that. Did you check your settings against a Service Manual?

Sounds like the float may not be adjusted to spec. or the needle and seat are not sealing.

Old 12-19-2009, 06:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

Just an update, I went threw the whole thing again and didn't see anything wrong. Took the carb off and took it to Moto Shack here in San Antonio, to see if my adjustments were correct. Explaind what it was doing and as they were looking at the carb one guy (didnt get his name) popped right off and said its missing the needle jet that is held in with the main jet holder. We looked at the diagram and sure enough the Needle Jet was gone. Went back to the house to start the search. Got real lucky after about 2 1/2 hours and found it where I wash my parts off after they come out of the dip. Cleaned up the jet put carb back together and its running like a champ again. Man I feel like a real yoyo not noticing that. It's been down for over a month. Thanks for the help.

Have a safe one and a Happy Holidays.

Jimmy

Old 12-19-2009, 11:26 PM
Pro Rider

Well, at least they didn't say you had a screw loose!

Old 12-20-2009, 11:35 AM
Trailblazer

I love it when I put something together and have spare parts.

Old 12-22-2009, 09:11 AM
Weekend Warrior

Lol, Ya I know should of paid closer attention when washing the carb. off. If I had I would of seen the jet laying in the mud. I can't believe it was partialy visable sticking out of the mud after a month laying there. For now on when wash my parts off it will be done over a old towle, to make sure nothing is overlooked.
Tough way to learn a lesson, having to stress over the issues with the AC.

Jimmy

Old 12-23-2009, 12:21 PM
Trailblazer

I took my carb off, cleaned it, put it back together and set it back to service manual specs. I started the machine and it would not run without the choke partially on.

After stressing for some time, I went back through the specs and found I had went 1 3/4 turns instead of 2 3/4 turns on the pilot screw. Of course I had removed and cleaned the carb again thinking I had overlooked something.