Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Arctic Cat 454

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2001, 01:50 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone have any comments as to realiability of the 97 bearcat.Maintenece,major problems,Also is there a jobber oil filter available. Thanx in advance Len

Old 02-24-2001, 05:04 AM
Trailblazer

Leonard,
I have a '98 Arctic Cat 454. I bought it new in Aug. Of 97'. The stamp on the frame say's '98. I have had very few problems.I think its every bit as good as the 500's. Mine has the silver wheels and not the gold. Boner and Andy are pretty up on the problems with the pre '98 models. Here is a list of stuff that I have had to replace.
--CV boots on both sides twice-Nothing stick stoppers wouldn't have prevented.
--Replaced upper and lower ball joints on the left side-Dealer told me that lots af water crossing was cause.
--Rear drive line bearing replaced.Also caused by water and **** getting around the rubber boot
--Bearing in the Left front wheel Twice and right one once-Due to water.
--replaced 2 speedo cables- 1st won broke and 2nd one got against the header pipe and melted- my fault
Thats all.
I spend a lot of time crossing creeks and the dealer seems to think that is the reason on most of the stuff. I would not give mine up for another unless it was a new 500 Manual. As for reliability mine has never left me on the trail or caused me to miss a ride yet.Good luck

Old 02-25-2001, 12:24 AM
Pro Rider

Leonard,

There were a few "imperfection" on the 1996-97 model 454's. They had a foot mounted parking brake(can you say "LOSSSSSSER!!!!"??), SMALL jetting problem causeing backfiring in most parts of the country(just swap in the 152.5 Main jet from a 1999 500 model and it will get better), Harder seat that the newer models(but the newer models KICK *** in the seat department, so the 97's is compareable to most other brands), gold wheels/grapics(OMG, can you color blind?), the same tires as a 450(or atleast they look just like them), slightly different head/cam design from the newer 500 models, and slightly harder steering than the newer models.

TheRetreaver,

THANK YOU SOO MUCH for that info. The parts guy at the local Arctic Cat place(place I can't stand at ALLLLLL) was trying to tell me that I needed to buy the entire lower a-arm. I told him to order it, place it standing up on a chair, and sit on it, because he was not gonna be selling it to me. When my left front bearing went out the hub and everything connected to it(like the disc brake) tilted like this: \. So the disc brake rubed a hole in my lower balljoint boot. I want to replace it now while it'd down, other wise it is very tight for as many mud miles I have on it.

BTW Still got those wheels?