Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

250 Auto Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 09:53 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveofHutto
Got any images? I am betting this is a common problem with the "autos". How many miles on your 250?
Mine is less than 200 miles
Is it a 250 Problem only? I ride with a 2001 500 AC with 4000 miles and he only changed the belt once he tells me.

Old 06-22-2010, 10:08 AM
Pro Rider
Cool

Originally Posted by DaveofHutto
Got any images? I am betting this is a common problem with the "autos". How many miles on your 250?
Mine is less than 200 miles
I'm seriously hope it's NOT! I've got a '09 w/230miles that we found it a little tempermental going into gear. Our solution.....yank/rock backwards on the machine. Drops into gear EVERY time. That and we changed the transmission oil to AMSOIL synthetic. Made a HUGE difference!
There was a significant amt. of gear debris in the oil we changed - no chunks - and I am planning to change it again at 400mile mark just to make sure we DON'T have problems.

I already taked to my dealer.........that's why I got 3yrs warranty we I bought it.

Old 06-22-2010, 12:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

do you know how much gear oil they take? This question doens't apply to this but since we are talkingabout gears does anyoe know what goes in the rear diff?

Old 06-22-2010, 05:52 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by 00bluegtp
do you know how much gear oil they take? This question doens't apply to this but since we are talkingabout gears does anyoe know what goes in the rear diff?
Same as the transmission.

From my 250 MANUAL:

REAR DIFF : 5oz of any hypoid compatible gear oil.
TRANSMISSION : 16oz/500ml of 80w90 gear oil

I use AMSOIL 75w90 Severe Gear Synthetic in BOTH.

ENGINE: 1.7qts AC ACX 5w50 synthetic

Old 06-22-2010, 09:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

do you have any tips on how to do this? I dont even have a shop manual and i am trying to get this thing to come together lol. How do you get the gears in there all at once?

Old 08-09-2010, 11:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

ttt.. I got this thing all back together and all i have is high range.. wtf??? No reverse or Low range... I am about to take this thing to the scrap yard.. Its a pain in the *** getting it togethor and now i find out it doesnt work.. wtf...

Old 08-10-2010, 10:15 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Patience Grass Hopper

do you have any tips on how to do this? I dont even have a shop manual and i am trying to get this thing to come together lol. How do you get the gears in there all at once?
I sent you an e-mail, I would copy and paste it here but alas my OS isn't that advanced.
The whole thing is patience, you end up taking it apart and putting it together several times and then again. You bench test it every time to see if it works. It is like a big 3D jig saw puzzle, it all fits together about the same time. If you can, copy and paste my e-mail to here.

You do a lot of this

You may feel a bit of this

But what I see you have it together and it some what working, this is good and with out a manual. Very impressive, means your on the right track.

Old 08-11-2010, 07:48 AM
Weekend Warrior

thank you for the info.. I am going to try it again... One question though... All the times i have assembled it i put the gear sets in the atv side first. Did you put it together on the cover side and then slide that in? that sounds alot easier.

Old 08-13-2010, 09:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

thank you for the info.. I am going to try it again... One question though... All the times i have assembled it i put the gear sets in the atv side first. Did you put it together on the cover side and then slide that in? that sounds alot easier.

You must assemble the gear set into the free half. The fixed half won't allow you to install the half moon ring with the socket cap screws . also the main drive shaft (it is what the drawing call the input shaft) is held in with a socket cap screw. This holds everything together as you bench test it. Once every thing is in place and seems to work , then install the cassette into the fixed half.

Old 04-12-2012, 06:13 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 250 Auto Transmission

Your post was very helpful. I am having a problem with the shifter binding up when I tighten the case bolts. If the bolts are hand tight, the shifter will click into the gears. If their tight it won't shift. Just wondering if you ran into this issue at all? I went through both shafts to make sure that all of the washers are wher they are supposed to be and everything looked good.

Quick Reply: 250 Auto Transmission