Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Lift kit impressions

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2001, 01:46 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Retreaver:
You say the spacers made your machine handle loose on hardpack above 20 mph, then you said its more stable. Sounds like a contradiction.Or did you mean its loose as in easier steering, but more stable as in less body roll in the corners?
Please clarify.
How's the PVC holding up for wear?

Old 02-27-2001, 03:17 PM
Pro Rider

YukonRon:
I think what he means is the steering feels more loose, or easier to steer at the higher speeds. I've found this to be true as well. Though, it's hard to tell exactly how much easier it actually makes the steering, as the 27" 'Claws are WAY easier to steer than the stock 489's. And yes, the spacers do make the machine feel a lot more stable, eliminating the slight front corner dive in a hard turn at speed. I find I can take steeper side hills on my 'Cat with the spacers, and feel more comfortable than I can with my Dad's stock machine on the same hill. The springs help keep the down hill side shocks/springs from compressing as much, which means they're supporting the weight a little better, keeping it closer to a "level" position, if there is such a thing on a sidehill. That probably doesn't make any sense, but I'm not sure quite how to explain it.

The good thing is, they're so easy to put in/take out that if you didn't like them, it would take you all of about 30 minutes to change them out from all four corners. I just drove my 'Cat up my trailer ramp with one tire, letting the other drop free, then pulled the shock/spring assembly off the machine. The springs are able to be compressed enough by hand to put in, or take out the new spacer, though with the spacer in, it does take a little extra "umph". Up in the mountains, I used my winch to pull the 'Cat up a tree so that the wheels were off the ground, then changed them out that way. Looks funny as hell, but it works.

Hope that helps, best of luck!

Mike

Old 02-27-2001, 06:41 PM
Trailblazer

YukonRon,
Sorry about the cofusion, I ment loose as in it steers easier at speeds greater than 20mph.The stability was ment for steep terrean and sidehilling, also lessened that "dreaded body roll " that all the magazine shoot-outs seem to dislike, that us Cat owners don't even hardly notice. Again sorry about that.

Old 02-28-2001, 04:41 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks. This sounds like a cheap and worthwhile mod. I think I'll stay away from the lift kits though - the metal shavings in the CV joints doesn't sound good.

Old 03-01-2001, 02:08 AM
Pro Rider

Another thing to look at is that the tires want to bite less in turns cause of the stiffer suspension. Instead of leaning and putting more weight on that tire, it keeps the weight more evened out, makeing the outside tire have less bit. That makes it lean less and side better.

Old 03-01-2001, 02:08 AM
Pro Rider

I wanted to make sure, cause one of the readers contacted me asking me why a lift kit would cause brake calipers to break off.

Old 03-01-2001, 02:10 AM
Pro Rider

I'll check up on that, but I just don't see how High Lifter could sell so many lift kits and this not be a more noted problem. Bigcatdriver has a lift kit just like HL's and he has had a cv boot torn yet he never said anything about this.

Old 03-01-2001, 12:08 PM
Pro Rider

Boner,
This was the very first lift kit they came out with. I hear they came out with a better one, I don't know if thats true or not.

Old 03-01-2001, 12:23 PM
Pro Rider

I have both lift kits. The better one is still in R&D. I have it at home right now infact. All I gotta do is mount the front on my cat to MAKE sure it will fit on the older models. I know it will, but I want to have some proof before I tell Greg I KNOW it will fit.

Old 03-01-2001, 12:23 PM
Pro Rider

I have both lift kits. The better one is still in R&D. I have it at home right now infact. All I gotta do is mount the front on my cat to MAKE sure it will fit on the older models. I know it will, but I want to have some proof before I tell Greg I KNOW it will fit.

Quick Reply: Lift kit impressions