Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Lift kit impressions

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2001, 12:29 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Boner,
After we put the lift kits on we put our machines back on the ground and on both machines one of the front tires was at a 45% angle facing outward. Thats when we should of known to take them off.

Old 03-01-2001, 10:20 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I installed my lift last night. Clearance gains were right at 2" overall. I have 13" at the front (used to be 11") and 12" at the bottom of the skid in the middle (used to be 10") now. That was fine. It did screw the crap out of my alignment. I'm going to have to totally realign everything before I ride it any. I did ride around just a little today to test it out. Couldn't find a real noticeable difference in stability, though I'm sure I will someday find a place where it gets tippy a bit easier. The tires are so out of wack that you can't go over 10mph without it being real wobbly.

I should get that taken care of this weekend though, but I sure don't look forward to it.

Anyone have any tips on aligning the wheels? I did one side when I replaced a tie rod once, but I just eyeballed it. This is going to suck.

Old 03-02-2001, 03:17 AM
Pro Rider

What do you mean?? Like which one of these??

TOP VIEW FRONT VEIW
This:l--l or This:l--l This:/-\ or This:\-/
/--\ \--/

I think I know what you are talking about, but I want to make sure.

Old 03-02-2001, 03:20 AM
Pro Rider

Well all I know is that it suposed to be 1/4" toe in, but going to toeout might gain you some stability. The bad thing about the toe out is that it will probaly wonder more cause it will want to go one direction and grab every rut.

Old 03-02-2001, 03:23 AM
Trailblazer

Andy,
What type lift did you install? I looked in my manual it says toe in should be at 1/4". It's not to hard to align the front. If you need the steps e-mail and I will try to get back to you on it. I want to try finding longer shocks for both front and rear.Anyone no if there are any that will inter change? If I find something I will let everyone know. It would lift it and still allow for good suspension travel. Good riding......

Old 03-02-2001, 11:55 AM
Pro Rider

Boner,
Top View:
\-/

Old 03-02-2001, 07:44 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Regular old highlifter kit. All I have to do now is align the SOB. It is major toe in right now, but thats to be expected. I have no idea on the proper way to align it so I will just eyeball it. Probably do it tomorrow.

Old 03-02-2001, 07:59 PM
Pro Rider

Ok, if you read the directions they warn about this. This is an Arctic Cat problem. Its the way they mount the tie rods. With out the lift kit, go lift the front of your bike up alittle by hand. You will see that the front wheels point inward. This is called Bumpsteer. I think it only takes fliping the tie rod end over to solve this, and you will not have anymore bump steer.
So yes, the lift does cause the toe in, but thats cause AC F'ed up on the steering design.

Old 03-02-2001, 08:24 PM
Pro Rider

Andy,

Check this out. It might help.

Old 03-05-2001, 03:49 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the free advice.I just installed 3/8 inch all the way around.It seems to work great,I will know better after this weekened.

Quick Reply: Lift kit impressions