Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Lift kit impressions

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2001, 04:10 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know a bunch of you have added lifts on. What do you think about them so far? What kind of clearance gains have you gotten (front skid and middle of frame)? How much has it affected the ride? Can you notice much difference in stability in any situations?

Old 02-25-2001, 09:00 PM
Pro Rider

Good question, Andy. I'm also very interested in the answers to these questions. In addition, I'd like to hear some honest opinions about how these lifts (and big tires)affect the lifespan of your driveline. Anyone had CV joint failures or anything due to the increased angles and extra workloads?

Old 02-26-2001, 03:35 PM
Pro Rider

Man, where are all the lifted guys at??? Guess I'll start, though I presume you're looking more towards the real "lift kits". Maybe this will help the newer guys, or workers??? Anyway, I made my "lift" out of shaft collars, which fit underneath the thin, flat baseplate which holds your spring around your shocks. My original intention was for the added "spacer" to stiffen my shock/spring assembly enough that it would handle heavy loads better. Not only did it do just that, but it also increased my ground clearance by 1 1/2" in the front. I first tried 3/8" up front, with nothing in the rear, and gained the 1 1/2". The ride was not affected hardly at all, in fact under the weight I carry up front at all times (roughly 100+ pounds), I didn't even notice they were there. So, I pulled the 3/8" out and stuck them in the rear, then installed 1/2" up front, hoping for even more ground clearance gains. I didn't get any increase in lift going from 3/8" to 1/2" at all, but it did stiffen the ride a bit. Keep in mind, I do carry weight at all times, so my "rideability" will vary greatly from someone without weight up front. The ride is still very smooth with this setup, though you can tell a little difference between my 'Cat and my Dad's stock 'Cat-his is a little smoother.

Another added "bonus" to the spring spacer style lift, was that they greatly increase the stability of the machine. Soon after installing the spacers, I found I could take corners at higher speeds, without that "body roll", where the outside front corner may dive away from the turn. It doesn't do that at all anymore. In the hills it has been a great help for steep terrain. I find I am now more "comfortable" on the steeper side hills, than compared to my Dad's stock 'Cat.

As for wear and tear, I have probably roughly 500-600 miles on them now (can't remember exactly when I put them in) with no problems what so ever. I find they don't subject the cv joints to near as much of an angle as the real "lift kits" do, so I believe they are not as rough on the machines. This setup is not for everybody though. I have a feeling that with 1/2" spacers up front, and no weight, they will probably rattle your teeth out due to the much more stiff ride. The 3/8" was not near as bad, it was a tiny bit more rough than stock, but still not really enough to be of concern. I think the trade off of ground clearance gains, combined with added stability greatly out weigh the slight increase in ride stiffness.

I am interested to see how Boner's new design is coming for the High Lifter lift kit, especially for the Arctic Cat's. From the sounds of things, it will be a great kit, and something you (Andy) might consider if you're really interested in a new lift.

Anyway, there's my take on my own "lift", hope that at least gives a little insight to a different approach. Best of luck,

Mike

Old 02-26-2001, 03:44 PM
Pro Rider

Andy
My friend and I have both put H.L. lift kits about 2 1/2 years ago. My friend broke both of his break calipers after tapping the breaks to make both wheels spin after getting stuck in a really bad mud hole. After tearing his machine down to change break calipers he checked his front cv's and bearings and noticed lots of metal shaving that was caused by the extreme angle that they where put in by the lift kit. Needless to say we both took our front lifts off. I am sort of afraid to check mine now. Hopefully I took it off in time. This little eppisode ended up costing him right at $800.00 just in parts. We gained about 1 1/2 inches of clearance, but not worth the damage it made to me.
I have heard that they have come out with a different kind of lift now though.
I think I will stick with taller tires only for now untill I hear of something better.
We both put spacers in the front which helped a lot with body role and stability on hills. I am also thinking about putting spacers in the rear too.

Old 02-26-2001, 04:16 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks guys - good to know.
Cowboy, I like your spacer idea. I've heard of someone else that did the same, though I think it wasn't a Cat, but used heavy rubber from an old truck mud flap for the spacers. Seems to me this might have more "give" to it and provide a bit of a progressive compression on the hard hits. I might even give it a try on my old Polaris.

Old 02-26-2001, 06:28 PM
Pro Rider

It was me who did the spacers with the old mud flap it works great and doesn't cost, if you can find a flap, just a little time, I got 12in up front same as stock in back, only tire hight will affect that. big bad 500.

Old 02-27-2001, 01:53 AM
Trailblazer

Well I did the same as Cowboy, except that I used plastic pvc pipe that just fit over the shock housing.It was cheap and all had at the time.I added 3/8" all the way around.I did notice a difference in the way mine handled.It seemed to make the steering kinda loose on hard pack at 20mph or above, also made the ride more stable. Don't have any measurements.Thinking about going with 1/2" in the rear. I carry most mty weight on the rear rack for now.
Cowboy I'm still planning on going to Boise, ID. on March 9th-11th. Anyone interrested contact me or Minehunter for more details.

Old 02-27-2001, 01:54 AM
Pro Rider

Are you trying to say that the lift kit caused both of his front calipers to bust???

Where did you find the shavings at?? Where the shavings from the knuckle? Inside the CV boot? Inside the knuckle??

Old 02-27-2001, 12:16 PM
Pro Rider

Boner,
My post said his calipers broke after tapping the brakes, (not because of the lift kit), thats what I said, read it again.
As far as the shavings I will ask him where he found them and let you know. He only had 500 miles on the machine when he found the shaving. The lift kit had been on the machine for 250 miles.

Old 02-27-2001, 12:31 PM
Pro Rider

Boner,
I just spoke with my friend and he said the shavings was in the front differential from the retainer ring that holds the cv joint. The retainer ring was wore at the bottom, maybe like too much of an angle. Also the pin bearings where all tore up in the cv joints with lots of shavings also. The little rings that hold the pin bearings in the cap where broken, and some of the pins where broken too.

Quick Reply: Lift kit impressions