Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

2008 trv 500 display

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 09:41 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 trv 500 display

hi, i have a fuel guage that was acting up where it was floating up and then down and would show empty when it was full. I replaced it awhile back with a new factory one 90$ and it almost did the same thing except it doesnt move up and down it shows like 1/2 tank or less. i took the display off and checked the terminals for corresion but nothing. any suggestions thx robert

Old 01-23-2010, 09:29 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AC fuel gauges suck. All models, all years. Learning to use the trip meter and carrying extra fuel for long rides is your best bet.

Old 01-26-2010, 04:33 AM
Range Rover

no kidding i usually carry my gps too to help make sure the miles. what happens if the obo breaks too lol

Old 01-26-2010, 04:50 PM
Pro Rider

I had my sender/fuel pump assembly replaced under warranty on my '08 650H1 TRV.

My gauge read wacky from day 1. I added TECHRON additive, and that was supposed to help dissolve the sulfur buildup (the root cause) to no avail. I then pulled the unit out of the tank and lightly sanded the electrode leads with emory cloth and slight bent the contact points to make stronger contact - worked for 2 tankfulls.

I got fed up, and had my dealer install the "new & improved ver." last summer. NP sofar after 400+ miles.

Old 01-26-2010, 09:10 PM
Pro Rider

So if am are still under warrenty and my guage is acting weird, can I demand the "new and improved" part under warrenty? Do you know the part number I should demad to get?

Old 01-26-2010, 10:18 PM
Pro Rider
Red face

Originally Posted by xcitmt
So if am are still under warrenty and my guage is acting weird, can I demand the "new and improved" part under warrenty? Do you know the part number I should demad to get?
I had 2 issues for warranty the day I took the TRV in. THe fuel sender and a intermittent 4LOC on the front diff.
My dealer fixed both free of charge and I never saw any paperwork. Which in retrospect probably wasn't a bright idea on my part, but I was riding on the "HIGH" of just purchasing a new 550H1 EFI for the wifey a wk before and was unaware that my wifey had also arranged 4 new red AC rims to be installed on my TRV.....
I do know he ordered the sending unit ahead of time, and informed me when I set up the service appt. that AC had informed dealer service dept. that they had re-designed the unit because of all the warranty claims.....and he's replaced more than a few.
I have no reason to doubt him, as the sender works fine and is accurate. As to just what the "new & improved ver." is.....I can only guess. Same goes for a part #

Sorry...that's all I got.

THe sender new is over $100 and isn't hard to replace. If your still under warranty or ext. warranty it's a $50 deductable and have your dealer do it.

good luck

Old 01-27-2010, 04:24 PM
Range Rover

I was thinking of what may be a problem with the fuel guage. first i disconnected the battery waited a minute or so and then hooked up the battery and the gauge was showing still half full. when i just filled it up. so then i unplug the fuel guage itself, disconnected battery and reconnected everything and still the same reading. i didnt notice thought the even though i disconnected the battery and reconnected the clock still was reading the correct time yikes how did that happen? anyways, then i took the guage out but still in the tank, had the quad in the on position nothing in fact the guage went down alittle. so while it was still out i moved it around alittle and noticed that it moved up to the 3/4 position. so i moved it some more and got a full tank reading. so i left it like that turned it off. waited afew turned it back on and it was still reading full. so i put everything back together and still showing full tank. im thinking maybe when i installed it, although i matched the way the old one looked like maybe it was rubbing up against something inside the tank. so, i guess i have to wait and see what happens but it looks like it is working. still trying to figure out the clock thing though lol robert

Old 01-27-2010, 05:47 PM
Pro Rider

I think part of the problem is that the ATV moves or bounces so easily which can cause the fuel to slosh around and give false/incorrect readings while moving. My machines do not have the electronic gauge but have the old float gauge. I still have an issue with is bobbing around while I am moving. So I too use the trip odometer or my gps to see how far I have gone and depending on what I am doing I know how far I can go on a tank and I don't push it.

The electronic sensors can get gummed up and send bad signals. Even some cars are not very accurate. So I have gone to calling it what my hunting partner does TFLG (Theoretical Fuel Level Gauge). It sounds better when he says it because he will look at you over the rim of his glasses while saying it to see your facial expression when it finally registers that you don't have a clue what the heck he just said.

Swampy

Old 01-30-2010, 12:42 AM
Range Rover

lol