Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

mileage

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2001, 03:02 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

YukonRon:
I'm thinking that's probably what is going on with the huge variances in mileage here. Also, the pre-2000 'Cats had a 4.25 gallon tank, I believe, then in 2000 they gave the Auto 'Cat a larger 4.75 gallon tank. Now, in '01, all 'Cats are equipped with the same 4.75 gallon tank. I've had as much as 45 miles on my main tank, with the 27" 'Claws, while not working, just trail riding. I believe the AC owners manual says that the main tank is 1.5 gallons or something like that, leaving 3.25 in reserve. I've never run my 'Cat completely out of gas, but did have a little over 90 miles on a tank with the 'Claws. My dad's stock 'Cat will do slightly better, getting closer to 100, or a little over, but not much. I run a lot of hills and steep inclines though while out on the trail, which sucks up a little more than normal flat land riding.

As for the larger fuel tank, I don't believe they make one now, but you can get those fuel cell things, which hold something like an extra gallon or two of gas. They are flat, a couple inches thick, and fit your racks nicely from what I've heard, then you can load all your gear on top of them.

Anyway, hope that helps, Best of Luck!

Mike

Old 02-27-2001, 07:52 PM
Pro Rider

First off ATV speedometers are notoriously inaccurate, at least that has been my experiance. When you go to larger tires they become even less accurate. Also as speed increases the tire diameter increases just like a dragsters. It's because the tires are low pressure and soft and grow with higher RPM's. Now, with that said. I have checked my mileage on several occasions using a GPS. I have never gotten more than 65 miles with out going onto reserve. And never more than 83 miles until flat out empty. I have since replaced the main jet with a smaller one because I was running rich, I'll find out next weekend if the mileage goes up or not. I do a lot of riding on mountain fire roads and old logging roads and most in excess of 5000 feet elevation and desert riding in excess of 3000 feet elevation. I don't know if it matters, but what the heck...

Old 02-27-2001, 07:57 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Totally depends on what kind of riding you are doing. If you do a lot of real slow woods riding, your quad could travel like 25 miles in 3 hours, and guzzle the hell out of the gas. If you just ride dirt roads all tank, you will get a lot more miles out of it. Mine varies a lot depending on what I'm doing.

Old 02-28-2001, 12:11 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hey guys couple of question for you? What kind of unleaded is recommended for the AC's, does milage dramatically change with types,and will using different types void any warranties? As always drive carefully..... Cookieman.

Old 02-28-2001, 12:51 AM
Pro Rider

I think we covered this before in this forum. The manual says 87 octane. I've always used it except one time when I almost ran out and had to use the spare 3 gallons of 93 octane for my truck. I didn't really notice a difference. In really cold or hot weather there may be some difference but it was just a nice 60 degrees or so. I'd stick with the 87 octane unless you can find some form of measurable difference on your quad. good luck to ya.

Old 02-28-2001, 03:07 AM
Range Rover

Minehunter
Riding at thoughs altitudes robs allot of HP. SO I would naturaly assume, that you would get worse mileage then I would here in WI.
matty

Old 02-28-2001, 03:03 PM
Pro Rider

Cowboy:
You said the main tank is 1.5 gallons, leaving 3.25 in reserve. Sounds backwards. I assume its the other way around and that was just a typo, right?

Old 02-28-2001, 03:48 PM
Pro Rider

YukonRon,
You probably do a lot of the same kind of riding I do up here in Alaska. There are 2 Grizzlys and an SP500 that hunt together with myself now for 2 years in a row. We usually hall the same amount of gear into the camp and we always ride together while we hunt on the machine traveling atleast 200 miles on our trip. We all take in the same amount of gas 20 gallons. Every year so far I always come out with more gas than the rest of the guys. On the average 2 to 3 gallons more. Hope that helps. I also run the manual and they have autos.

Old 02-28-2001, 04:30 PM
Pro Rider

lrichard:
That sounds reasonable considering the type of riding. We ride the same way on our hunts sometimes, tub trailers filled to overflowing with wall tents and all kinds of gear, slogging through mud and moutains and all kinds of rough terrain. Getting there is half the fun! I'm usually the one using way more gas, but I expect that using a 2-stroke machine as a mule. On good cruising trails I can go 60 miles on my 4 gal tank, half that on a tough hunting trip. I'm sure hoping to change that when I upgrade.

Old 03-01-2001, 01:58 AM
Pro Rider

Well part of it has to be the transmission. NOt sure if you guys noticed, but the manuals get better gas mileage than the auto's. It's the same way on car's too.

Quick Reply: mileage