Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

2005 artic cat 400i

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 07:21 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2005 artic cat 400i

Hi i am new to artic cat. never owned one before. Ok so i just bought a 2005 400i with only 1100km on it. The 4x4 does not work. Sadly i just got it home and went to put it in the shed, that has a ramp that i have to put the bikes in 4x4 to get up. When i hit the switch i heard a noise like zzzzz then tried to back the bike up the ramp but only the back tires would spin. So i looked and i see the front drive shaft turning. The bike is mint. Did i buy a problem bike.

Old 03-16-2010, 10:03 PM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

my neighbor has the same bike and at about 400 miles his did the same thing. it was a piece in the 4 wheel drive actuator. cant remember how much it was but if i had to guess,$125.00 us dollars maybe for a whole new actuator. The "zzzzz" sound you hear is normal as its the sound of the actuator engaging the 4 wheel drive,but its broke so it wont work obviously. My neighbors basically had a piece get stripped out on the inside. After he replaced it hes never had another issue. i dont think you got a problem bike. it should be a great bike for you. good luck.

Old 03-16-2010, 10:19 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post 2005 arctic cat 400i

Originally Posted by Timmerman
Hi i am new to artic cat. never owned one before. Ok so i just bought a 2005 400i with only 1100km on it. The 4x4 does not work. Sadly i just got it home and went to put it in the shed, that has a ramp that i have to put the bikes in 4x4 to get up. When i hit the switch i heard a noise like zzzzz then tried to back the bike up the ramp but only the back tires would spin. So i looked and i see the front drive shaft turning. The bike is mint. Did i buy a problem bike.
Timmerman there was a thread on the forums awhile back about the problem you're describing , i don't remember how long ago but it turned out to be a plastic cork screw shaped gear that's attached to the end of the shift cable ; i don't remember who posted the fix for the gear as the forums software has been changed at least 2 time's since then .

You might get lucky if you do a search for the thread provided if the thread hasn't gotten deleted , if i recall the cork screw shaped gear where the shift cable is connected to the front diff had to be replaced ; if someone doesn't jump in with the info you might find it on arctichat.com !

I wish i could remember the fix or the forum member who started the original thread ?
In the meantime i'll try to find it for you , with luck i might find the thread if it hasn't been lost or deleted since the forums were going through changes in the server's and software ; good luck in any case .

williebee........

Old 03-16-2010, 10:33 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default i know how you feel

i bought an 07 400 ifs 4x4 501 miles drove it 601 it was smoking like a tire kiln,rebuilt itnow the starter clutch is shot at 625 miles, i think it needs a match and a gas leak lol

Old 03-17-2010, 12:16 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post 2005 arctic cat 400i

Originally Posted by Timmerman
Timmerman there's a post on page 2 with info on the actuators , forum member:r.wyll posted this info where you can get N.I.B. actuators on ebay for $91.00 with free shipping .
post date: 02 - 20 - 2010 01:42 AM .

williebee......

Old 03-17-2010, 04:38 AM
Range Rover

Thanks for the replies is it hard to replace the actuator .

Old 03-17-2010, 12:21 PM
Pro Rider

Easy to replace, Unplug a wire, remove two 10mm bolts and remove the actuator. Install the new one. You may need to remove some splash shrouds to get at it easier. They usually have one or two cap screws and some zip ties holding them to the frame.

My neighbor fixed his by manually putting it into 4x4 and leaving it. He uses 4x4 full time anyway due to the tracks he has on his ATV.

Swampy

Old 03-17-2010, 05:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

I had the same problem with my 2006 400FIS. The front boot clip on the drive shaft had failed so the boot slipped back just a little. The front shaft splines slipped out of the input to the front diff (the boot hid this condition) I could see the shaft turn but the fron wheels would not turn. worth a look.

Old 03-17-2010, 06:08 PM
Range Rover
Talking

Originally Posted by Mike D
I had the same problem with my 2006 400FIS. The front boot clip on the drive shaft had failed so the boot slipped back just a little. The front shaft splines slipped out of the input to the front diff (the boot hid this condition) I could see the shaft turn but the fron wheels would not turn. worth a look.
Mike you were wright on the money. Bike has 4x4 now. I fist took the acturator apart but it looks great so i put it all back together. I was just about ready to take it to the shop, then i read your post. So just a hose clamp on there now hopfully it will hold. That acturator has electronics in it, now there is a gasket but if water gets in there I am screwed. Any problems like water entering the acturator? I like to cross a river bed that is just under my seat.

Old 03-17-2010, 07:50 PM
Trailblazer
Default actuator

Just as a precautionary measure, I would take the actuator off again and put silicone all the way around it so you can be assured that no water can get into it; especially since you opened the case on it.

Quick Reply: 2005 artic cat 400i