Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Arctic Cat 500 TRV Auto

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010 | 11:31 AM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default Arctic Cat 500 TRV Auto

I have posted b4. I now have a new choke, Choke did have a blatant failure, I think it was forced in on installation, but I wouldnt want to call Arctic Cat on this one......new plug, air filter clean, carb spanking clean, tore apart, picked with fine needle, there was a bit of debris in bottom of bowl due to quad taking a small vacation, machine only has 150 miles on it. New fuel in tank, verified spark, verified fuel flies out ten feet from fuel pump....I tried to run with air box installed, no luck, anyhow, the boss' quad (WIFE) still idles, but when given gas to accelerate, it just goes bluugghhhh. I am stumped. Get this, if I stick my fist down the air box where the air tube is at on the rear of the carb, hmmm, I can run the throttle up and down. I wish she could just keep her fist there.....I would be dead. Kidding aside, what the heck gives. Kickin me butt on this one. All parts verified by arctic cat service manual which shows two install differences for vacuum parts, and jet needle with plastic part. I need help here. It seems that if I put my fist in there, this thing will run great, but installed and everything together, it idles fine, choke shuts off fine, and it keeps idling, but when I give her gas....well, no date, sorry....Keep in mind that this customer has touched the merchandise, but I appear to know what I am doing.....Yeah, right. Quad washes fine and looks fine. When you are done chuckling, I do need help here.
Mike

Old 06-01-2010 | 09:37 PM
Pro Rider

You have an air leak!

Old 06-02-2010 | 01:42 PM
"If you haven't any charity in your heart, you have the worst kind of heart trouble." ~Bob Hope
Default Air leak

Before you tear the carb apart again, make sure the rubber boot (that attaches the carb to the cylinder head) clamps are tight.

Old 06-11-2010 | 10:29 AM
Pro Rider

Got to keep the wife happy!...If she is not happy neither is anyone else!

Sounds like you have Fuel, air and spark as it will start and idle fine. To run at higher RPM's you need those 3 in their proper ratios. This means too much air not enough fuel OR the opposite too much fuel not enough air. Since when you have your wife stuff her fist in the air box the engine gives full range throttle just fine then you are probably getting too much air.

This can be caused b y an air leak as was already mentioned OR the air fuel mixture screw being out of adjustment. I think it is 1 1/4 turns out but I will check the service manual foe sure.

Sometimes an air leak between the airbox and carb or on the intake side of the carb can be found by spraying water on the rubber boots with a spray bottle while the engine is idling. If the water gets sucked in a hole the engine will chnaen RPM's. I have had a stubborn one before and I used WD40 instead and found the leak. You just have to not spray it directly onto tne exhaust as it is flamable.

Also, for when you get it running again. Go to the auto parts or marine parts store and get yourself some Seafoam and add a little to each tank of fuel. It is a fuel system cleaner/stabilizer and may prevent or prolong the next time you have to clean your carb.

Hope this helps.

Swampy