Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

what differential oil to use 06 700 EFI Front

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 10:59 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what differential oil to use 06 700 EFI Front

I had to replace the u-joints in the front drive shaft and drained the front differential to do it. Now that I am putting it back together, what oil should I use in the front differential? any help would be greatly appreciated.

Crazyotto

Old 06-16-2010, 12:10 AM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

should be a hypoid 80w90 gear oil. A synthetic is your choice. I personally would not waste the money on a synthetic gear oil but some feel its worth the money.

Old 06-16-2010, 03:16 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by mudslinginfool
should be a hypoid 80w90 gear oil. A synthetic is your choice. I personally would not waste the money on a synthetic gear oil but some feel its worth the money.
It is!

Looks like I'm one of those one's who SWEARS by synthetic oil!! Mainly due to extreme weather temperatures we get here in ND, but also because of what it does from my experience w/reduced gear wear and increased diff seal life.

My gear lube of choice is AMSOIL SEVERE GEAR 75w90 in the diffs of all my machines, and the transmission in our new '09 250 Utility 4x2.

The TRV is all AMSOIL. - 0w40 in the engine too
The 550 & 250 are AC's ACX Synthetic in the engines.

Am I a Synthetic Oil expert - NO - ...but I did sleep in a Holiday Inn Express last night....

Old 06-16-2010, 05:51 PM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

well im not against synthetic by any means cupsz71. But on some things i just dont see why to spend the extra money. For 1: the diff oil gets replaced every 1,000 miles on my atv. The oil doesn't even get dirty in that amount of time. Nor does the rear end get hot enough to break down the oil molecules so to speak. My truck,with ALOT more weight to haul around (diesel) especially with a trailer gets replaced every 75-100,000 (211,000 on it now)miles with regular oil. My engine oil is also regular "mopar oil" ( i get free oil changes for life) and gets replaced every 6,000 miles. Never had a problem with anything that uses oil as long as you service it as needed or in advance. Old farm tractor,trucks,ect...that have been maintained are still running today. there wasn't synthetic in the 50s and 60s but lots of tractors are still running today without problems. Plus,they say once you put 75,000 miles on a vehicle and have not used synthetic from the beginning,dont start now. It will leak. Sorry,didnt mean to ramble on.

Old 06-17-2010, 08:02 AM
Pro Rider
Cool

Originally Posted by mudslinginfool
well im not against synthetic by any means cupsz71. But on some things i just dont see why to spend the extra money. For 1: the diff oil gets replaced every 1,000 miles on my atv. The oil doesn't even get dirty in that amount of time. Nor does the rear end get hot enough to break down the oil molecules so to speak. My truck,with ALOT more weight to haul around (diesel) especially with a trailer gets replaced every 75-100,000 (211,000 on it now)miles with regular oil. My engine oil is also regular "mopar oil" ( i get free oil changes for life) and gets replaced every 6,000 miles. Never had a problem with anything that uses oil as long as you service it as needed or in advance. Old farm tractor,trucks,ect...that have been maintained are still running today. there wasn't synthetic in the 50s and 60s but lots of tractors are still running today without problems. Plus,they say once you put 75,000 miles on a vehicle and have not used synthetic from the beginning,dont start now. It will leak. Sorry,didnt mean to ramble on.
NP!

I fully understand your reasoning & I didn't assume you were "bashing" synth. It's a choice based on what you want to spend/how often/one's experience(s)

Old 06-17-2010, 09:36 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

I so convinced about synthetic oil that now I buy synthetic chain case oil fror the tranny,gear oil and they even make synthetic grease but I never tried that yet,it sound little over board. LOL

Old 06-17-2010, 08:54 PM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

Glad you didn't take it to heart. lol. Oh i forgot to mention that my engine oil in my bike is the arctic cat synthetic...but thats b/c its a kit. haha. have a good weekend and happy fathers day guys.

Old 06-19-2010, 03:54 PM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

yes. any hypoid 80w90 gear oil.

Old 06-29-2010, 07:06 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Diff oil

Got a 2010 550 epi ps. Was reading the manual and it states that only Hypoid oil should be usedin the diffs.....because any other oil will damage the differentials.Are the older ones different?..dont think there was much changes made to the newer ones..they dont want syntetic in the diffs...but specify synthetic motor oil.

Old 07-06-2010, 04:40 PM
Got Milk!
Blaming Guns For Crime Is Like Blaming a Spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being Fat!

Put a bottle of regular oil and a bottle of synthetic oil in the freezer. Take them out the next day and see how the pour. in ATV's I like Amsoil Marine 75w-90. As it can take on a lot of water and still Work.

Quick Reply: what differential oil to use 06 700 EFI Front