Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

AC 500?????

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2001, 01:53 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was looking at a(an) AC 500 the other day and i am thinkin about buying it but i was wondering if they are reliable/dependable quads..any info would be appreciated....
thanx

Old 03-05-2001, 03:32 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

For the two words you used (reliable, dependable), the Arctic Cat fits the bill easily. After owning 2 yamahas (85-200, 86-225) 1 honda (89-300), and one AC (99-500), I can attest to saying that the Arctic Cat is probably as reliable as it gets. Honda is the only exception, and I make that just because I have watched hondas for the last 17 years continue to run strong despite what care has been taken of them. All these bikes being ones in my area and not word of mouth.

When I bought mine, I looked at everything, and reliability was at the top of my list. When I saw the AC, it gave me the impression of a Honda type quad with a lot more options going for it. Basically, a bigger engine (nothing bigger than a 433 at the time from big red), disc brakes (a must after having them), and the rear swingaxle (which makes this AC the most stable quad I have ever ridden).

The AC's won't win any races with top contenders, and they aren't the ticket for fast woods riding either. They will pull your guts out of your ears though, and they ride extremely well. The Arctic Cats are utility oriented, though not sluglike such as a Foreman 400. Prices are generally lower than competing models of the same engine size.

Another thing, if you wanted a Honda, I know its a long drive from Junction City, but the Honda dealer in Bartlesville, OK advertised quads for close to $1000 (no joke) under retail until the end of the month. You might look into that. I swear, it was unreal. A friend of mine called to verify this after I told him he was nuckin futs and he came back with this. All brand new- Rubicon- $5999, 450- $4999, 350 4x4- $4400. If I didnt already have a quad, I would be riding red by now.

Old 03-07-2001, 10:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanx for answering my questions...I'm still gonna look around a bit but the AC is at the top of my list....thnx again..

Old 03-07-2001, 10:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

I found an AC 454 thats cheaper than the 500...anyone know how the 454's are?

Old 03-08-2001, 12:47 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Yeah, same bike. I can tell you a million things about them both, but I would basically say this to cover all the bases. The 1998 454 is just like the 500. The 97 Bearcat 454 had a lot of things that needed improvement and got them the next year. I wouldn't consider it unless the price was extremely low. If the price difference is good between a 98 454 and a 500, then I wouldn't balk at it. My cousin has one, and we run pretty much neck and neck until we wind out and the taller tires on mine lets me pull away by the slightest of margins. I would buy a 98 454 over a 2001 400 any day of the week. The power is damn sure there with a 454. It only gives up 39cc's.

His throttle is different though. I have a different low end feel and his has more of a punch when you hit it in the higher gears. This isn't a difference in power really, more of a difference in throttle feel.

Comparing it to a 2001 model, here is what you give up with the 454. 2wd selection, more padded seat, reserve switch in a good location, start in gear, and wheel studs rather than bolt on wheels. That and engine size. If you can find a deal on one, then I would look into it. One more thing, the carbs were normally not set right from the factory on 454's. The cure is to turn the mixture screw one way or the other, and put a CR6E NGK plug in it. My cousin did this and never had another problem.