Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Arctic vs Polaris in the muck

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2001, 11:36 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am in the process of buying another atv. This time it will definitly be a 4x4. How does Arctic Cat compare to the Polaris Sportsman in the mud??

Old 03-06-2001, 12:05 AM
Pro Rider

JaMeS

Old 03-06-2001, 12:35 AM
Range Rover

If just mud is your thing, its hard to beat A SP with the real 4x4. But there hasnt been hole where I have been riding that I couldnt follow a polaris. And as far as yamahagye's comments go where do you get polaris has better tires. There actually the same On both the cat and the polaris. But I think the Ac500 has the advantage there being ten inch wide all the way around. And as for power I believe for mudding purposes The AC has the advantage with being a high torque engine, its easier for turning the big mud tires in mud then what it is for a lower torque higher HP engine, hence torque = work, HP = rate of work, So all theory the AC can have a higher load on its engine then the Sp can. So for all of you mudders that meens an AC can handle the 28" outlaws or vamps better then the SP.
matty

Old 03-06-2001, 12:51 AM
Pro Rider

I prefer the manual tranny in the 500 cat for mud and high water. Sportsman's make some good power and that along with water, high engine speeds, and a belt can spell disaster in the form of a fragged belt. I've seen and smelled one burned up belt. I believe the two also have the same tires except the Cats have 10" wide fronts which have come in handy for getting out of some ruts we ride in. They can be a little heavy on the steering though if they get gummed up. Ground clearence is a good plus for the Sportsman but the Cat's have a very smooth skid plate and nothing hanging down to catch on which is also a plus. Torque is what gets you moving and the 500 cats has plenty of that plus two tranny speeds in forward and reverse. ride em both and make a deal! I think you'll enjoy either one in the mud.

Old 03-06-2001, 09:37 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Easy answer. Polaris has the mud advantage. Two key things. More ground clearance and all 4 wheels pulling. That answers the question. The rest becomes preference issues. The tire thing is pretty opinionated. I would take the 489's over the trackers any day.

Old 03-07-2001, 01:28 AM
Pro Rider

JaMeS

Old 03-08-2001, 07:16 PM
Pro Rider

JaMeS

Old 03-09-2001, 12:29 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

No disbelief, just wondering how top end helps when you bog it down.

Old 03-09-2001, 12:40 AM
Range Rover

I second andy's statement. The polaris will bog done easier in the thick gumbo mud. That is where the cat will shine. The cat engine is able to take more of a load.
matty

Old 03-09-2001, 01:25 AM
Range Rover

mwillia
i think both machines are fine for the mud. the "true 4wd" issue is a none issue to me. even when my autocat just pulls in 3wd it's real easy to get them both hooked up. and that almost never happens. one thing that is going to happen, that is either quad will eventually get stuck. thats when you need a good winch.
the thing you need to ask yourself is what type of riding will you be doing most of the time. thats when the two machines take a sharp turn in different directions. for what i needed in an atv tha arctic cat fit the bill. its the most bang for the buck in my opinion and i don't think any stock quad can outwork it. and it won't beat the hell out of you getting you to your favorite mudhole.......

Quick Reply: Arctic vs Polaris in the muck