Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Default Bought used AC 500 need help getting it going

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 10:12 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mudslinginfool
i know its a pain in the butt but if you can spray starter fluid in the plug hole and put the plug back in then try it,just to see if it will fire up then you know it at least has good spark. Also look at the plug. Is it wet? if so then its getting gas,if not then its not getting gas. I wouldnt spray a whole lot,but about of 4 or 5 different times,max. Sometimes this will help create vacuum and pull the gas through the carb in case there is dirt in it still. Ive had to do this with other engines sometimes. once it gets going it will run on its own. not all the time though. Dont know what the clunk noise could be. i know this is a dumb question,but is the plug seated all the way down,if not it wont have compression.
I actually tried doing the spray the fluid in the cylinder trick but i think my problem was the amount of time it took to get the plug and wire back in the cylinder i think most of the fluid had already evaporated and i dont think i had put the new gas in the tank at the same time. Hopefully i get it into the shop this week so i can experience some arctic cat power soon!

Old 10-19-2010, 08:42 AM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

well it might not be a bad idea. maybe for just a couple hundred dollars they can get it going again,which would still give you an awesome deal on the atv.

Old 10-19-2010, 05:44 PM
Trailblazer

thats what im hoping for i think it sounds like a simple fuel problem so hopefully they can get it going quick...maybe a carb rebuild or something like that so it shouldnt break down on me any time soon

Old 10-26-2010, 01:05 PM
Trailblazer

So...some not so encouraging news on the A.C. Took it into the dealer and they think that the connecting rod is broken. They said that the piston is not moving up and down but at the same time the engine is still turning over, it sounds to me kind of like it sounds to them that all signs point to the connecting rod. Anyone else ever had a problem with their connecting rods on their arctic cat or suzuki 500? I wonder if this could be from poor maintainence from the previous owner but ive never really heard of a cast rod breaking before so we will have to see when i pull the head off to see what the damage really is. I knew i should have done a compression test on it but didnt want to spend the $20 freaking dollars for a tester....ugh. Any ideas where I should go from here? I got 1500 cost + $37 for labor + new battery $50+ oil change $25 + $20 worth of gas into it. Cut my losses or try and fix it? P.S. im a college student and already have one quad

Old 10-28-2010, 09:43 AM
Trailblazer

Any ideas guys??

Old 11-02-2010, 11:12 PM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

sorry,ive been busy. Well, that dont sound good at all. You could just cut youtr losses as you already stated,try to find a wrecked 500 and get the motor out of it,or see how much damage was really done to it and rebuild it. If its not tore up to the point of throwing it away, you maybe able to put a new jug in with piston,rings,rod,and check the valves,ect... its your call, If it were me,id look for a wrecked 500 and try to get the motor. if i couldnt find one then id just part the junked one out. think of what you could sell off of it: A-arms,ball joints,wheel hubs,tires/rims,air filters,instrument clusters,brakes,seat,shocks,exhaust,differentials, ect...the list goes on and on with what you could sell. At least youd get some money back. Craigslist is a good place to post parts.

Old 11-08-2010, 10:09 PM
Pro Rider

I think I remember you saying that you could not feel air coming out of the exhaust when you were cranking the engine over? What about if the spark plug was removed did anything come out that hole?

The reason ask is the AC engine has an automatic compression release valve that can rattle, click, clank, however you describe it. I am wondering if that was the sound you were hearing?

I ask because it has been my experience that if the connecting rod breaks or wrist pin for that matter, something usually ends up going right through the side of the can and is VERY noticeable.

Also, if you changed the oil did you find chunks of metal in the oil or on the pickup screen? That can be an indicator of a bigger issue as well.

Last one I rebuilt cost me about $1300 but that involved replacing the crank, cam, head, jug, rings and all the gaskets. Sometimes you can get a used engine for the same price if you look around.

If you decide to part it out it can take awhile but you can get your $ back out of it anyway.

Swampy

Old 11-10-2010, 02:23 PM
Trailblazer

okay thanks for the replies guys i really appriciate it. Last weekend i spent a little time on the old kitty cat, i took off all of the front plastics and stuff so i could go about getting the cylinder head off of the engine. When I had the atv in the dealer they said that i should check the starter clutch cuz they thought it may be bad and not turning over, so i took the starter side (left side of atv if sitting on it) housing or whatever is underneath the pull start off. What i found was dissappointing to say the least. Plenty of metal chunks and pieces floating around the engine, but i could see through a tiny hole that looks into the engine that it looks like the connecting rod is still in place and so im thinking that the piston probably imploded. I tried to separate the cylinder jug from the engine but had no luck, i mean the thing is like retartedly glued on the damn engine, and yes i did remove all of the bolts (i believe) that are needed to separate it. i have done a top end on a seadoo before with an exploded piston but i just dont know about this, im sure this would require splitting the cases and hand cleaning out all the metal inside of it, correct? lemme know what you think i may post it on craigslist and try and just get my money back out of it and let it become someones problem that knows more about them.

Old 11-14-2010, 10:22 AM
Trailblazer

I need a carb for a 2005 500, so if your going to part it out, how much you looking for the carb?

Old 11-15-2010, 10:31 AM
Trailblazer

i think im prolly either going to fix it or im going to just sell it whole. Thanks tho

Quick Reply: Default Bought used AC 500 need help getting it going