Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Help please CV boot replacement 04 500

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2010 | 07:07 PM
|
Range Rover
Default Help please CV boot replacement 04 500

Hey folks,
I have an AC 500 TBX 2004 model that has a tore inner front boot.
I have broken it down but cant figure out how to pull the axle or hub.
The manual says their is a c-clip but I cant see it for the life of me. It also says to use an slide hammer so I went and rented one with 3 hooks but of course it wont stay attached firmly to the axle. Should I be using an axle puller instead?

I could use a good step by step on this procedure, my manual isn't to great.

Any help on this project greatly appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails Help please CV boot replacement 04 500-2photo.jpg   Help please CV boot replacement 04 500-1photo.jpg   Help please CV boot replacement 04 500-photo.jpg  
Old 12-05-2010 | 09:25 PM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

the C-clip is inside the differential so you wont see it till you pull the shaft out. You may be able to pull the shaft out by hand. just grab a hold if it with 2 hands,push in,and yank on it really hard.(you wont break anything) It can be a pain,but you can do it. Or try the puller you got. Once its off, on the inside of the cv joint(it will have grease all in it,the one with the ripped cv boot) there is clip inside of it near the open end. Clean the grease out so you can see it. the clip is not perfectly round. it actually looks octagon. You will need a flat head screw driver to pry it out. It is not connected all the way around,there is an open end on it. Once that clip is out you will be able to remove the end(hub, i guess it is). then you should be able to slide the torn boot off,and replace it with the new one then put the hub back on(with the octagon clip) put the grease in then put the bands to hold the cv boot on. Put the shaft back in the differential. You can push it in sometimes with just your hands. I used a block of wood and a hammer to make sure it went in all the way. Just pull on it a little,if it comes out then it wasn't in all the way,LOL. I went through this whole process in my head so im hoping i didnt leave any details out. ill be doing mine next weekend also as i ripped it today. You may also try Youtube.com. Sometimes it has boot replacements on there. just type in what you want in the search box. good luck

Old 12-05-2010 | 11:53 PM
Pro Rider

I have never used the slide hammer to remove the axle. From your pictures, sit on the floor, place one foot (for leverage) on the frame of rear differential, grad the axle shaft with both hands and push it IN towards the differential. This allows the CV joint to move all the way in on its housing. Then quickly pull out as hard as you can, Repeat it a couple of times and it should come pop out. You are sort of using the CV and axle as a slide hammer to get the cir-clip to pop loose. Your differential fluid will come out when you remove this as well.

If you check out the website for The CV-Man he has some instructions and very good quality HD-boots. Youtube has some videos. Mudslinginfool has the steps.

I am probably going to replace all my CV boots in the next few weeks. Mine are original and I think they have not aged well. I tore 4 of mu boots and in looking at the others I saw hairline cracks. I got curious and gave one a good pull and sure enough, RIP open it came. All the rest appear the same. Guess age does that to everything (including us!)

Also, if your TBX has stock axles then the CV boot that fits it will also fit the AC400, 400 and TRV.

Good luck
Swampy

Old 12-06-2010 | 05:52 PM
Pro Rider

There is a c-clip inside the large end that you have open, clean some of the grease out around the leading edge, probe with a small screw driver and you will feel a slot in it. then you get under it and pry it around the cv ***** and all will slide out of the housing, Artic cats are a little different from some of the rest, on the outer end ther is also a c-clip or snap ring again clean it up and you should see

Old 12-09-2010 | 07:13 AM
|
Range Rover

Thanks guys, I will try this when I get a little time and post back the results. If I use solvent to clean do you think I will be OK instead of replacing the bearing. It never went dry and had alot of grease still in it.

Also can I just buy diff fluid at the local auto parts store? What goes in the front end? 90w?

Old 12-09-2010 | 08:01 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Here is a video on how to do it. YouTube - Changing ATV CV boot on 2003 Arctic Cat 400 Automatic

here is a video on how to take the CV apart to clean it.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1B16Mx66z4 its a Polaris but all CV joints are the same.

Old 12-09-2010 | 07:16 PM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

80w90 hypoid gear oil goes in the diff and yes any auto or even walmart will have it

Old 12-11-2010 | 04:03 PM
|
Range Rover

Got it apart thanks to you guys. Waiting on cv boots now.
Question: My diff fluid is brown, kinda like coffee with creamer in it. Is that water in the fluid?
If so did it get in there thru the tore CV boot? And should I just flush the diff with a bunch of fluid to clean it up?

Old 12-11-2010 | 07:03 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Change the fluid. Just drain old and add new. Make sure the diff's air vent hose is connected on water tight, no other way water should of got in there.

Old 12-11-2010 | 08:06 PM
|
Range Rover

OK...self created problem.
I dont remember how to re-assemble the cv joint and bearings.
I saw on CV Boot man to pay attention to how the joint is assembled before removing...doh!
Wish I would have read that first. Does anyone know how to reassemble this thing?

It says that the parts go in a certain way. I have searched the web and u-tube and cant find anything related to AC. I did find Polaris but it looks a little different.

Quick Reply: Help please CV boot replacement 04 500