Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

99 400

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 10:17 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 400

My dad has this 99 arctic cat 400 4x4 and last time I used it it was sitting there idling and my dad said "you might as well turn it off, it's beer time." After we finished hulling some fire wood up to the cottage. It wasn't a big load maybe 5 trips 200 feet in distance. So needless to say its not like it was being over worked. Anyway back on track. I shut it off and there all done. Couple hours latter go back to move it and the starter just clicked. Then nothing. So I tried pull starting it. It was really stiff. Not from compression, but stiff the whole 360 degrees of rotation. i couldn't start it cause something was jamming the ring gear on the flywheel. We took it home and pulled the case side off. Well the starter idler gear broke the case where the idler sits. We took all the chunks out and there was no small peaces because I took it out and refitted the broken pieces to make sure I had them all. Then we through it back together and decided it would be a pull start from now on. Well it's still really hard to pull over. Could this be a spun crank bearing or is there something else it could be. It still shifts, locks into every gear. So I assume its not a transmission problem. My theory is the crank bearing went and when I tried to start it it was too much effort to crank over and the idler ripped the case apart. Would it be cheaper to take it apart and fix it or just find a donor with a good motor. Any help would be great.