Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Log Furniture Pics Are Up

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2001, 10:03 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For those that were interested, I finally managed to post a few pictures of some of the beds and table I have built so far. They're at the link below, under "Log Furniture" I think is what I called it. The pictures didn't turn out that great, but let me know what you think anyway. All logs and such were gathered in long lengths with the use of my 'Cat. Some of those are the snow pics.

Thanks,

Mike

Old 03-29-2001, 11:09 PM
Pro Rider

Nice, good to see that the Cat is helping pay for itself.

Old 03-29-2001, 11:44 PM
Trailblazer

Cowboy,
You do good work.
If my wife see's them I'll be in trouble.She has been wanting a bed like that for quite a while. I'm supposed to make her one out of Red Fir poles.
Good Job.

Old 03-29-2001, 11:54 PM
Range Rover

hey cowboy

mighty fine looking pieces. whay species are you using? mostly i like to use hickory and maple.

Old 03-30-2001, 11:44 AM
Range Rover

Cowboy the log furniture looks very stable, natural, and rustic. I can tell this wasn't your first go at this. Are you selling different pieces you make or is it for your own use? The accent pieces, curved, colored, burl, and so forth really give it a great look. There are a number of people in Northern Minnesota that make furniture as their sole means of making a living. They package the logs unassembled and band them together with instructions for assembly. A popular design up here for beds has a head board and little to no footboard so the side carries around to the footboard, with short corner posts. Therefore it allows for a good looking bedframe but there is a little more room in a smaller cabin bed room.
Saw a three legged corner set of shelves at a craft show in Ely Minnesota. The three legs were logs and the shelves had hunting and fishing items on them. Like old shell boxes, duck and elk calls, fishing lures ect. It fit in a corner and it was the highlight of the room. You would be able to taylor it to you outdoor interests. Also had a guy split a 2-3" log and make a picture frame over a metal edged corkboard I got from a store. It ended up about 12"+17" to fit a long narrow spot on a wall. I put pictures from recent fishing and hunting trips up on it with friends I have gone on these trips with. This has become the first stop in the cabin, well maybe second after they get a refreshment, for our fishing and hunting buddies to view the year and talk about next years endevors. Wood has a warmth to it that I really like, natual look in a natural setting. Thought you might want a couple of project ideas if you haven't already thought of them.

Old 03-30-2001, 12:51 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks to everybody for the opinions there, I was kind of hoping to see what you thought of them. Thanks for the kind words too!

BadHabits:
I use mostly lodgepole pine. I have roughly 1,200 acres up in the mountains just south of the Canadian border, with tons of lodgepole up there. So, I just run up there with the 'Cat and the trailer, start hauling stuff back down for stripping. On the twin bed though, I did mix in some tamarack on two of the corner posts, and two of the siderails. They were alternating though, and blended in really well-you'd never know the difference unless I told you. I'm supposed to be building a bed for another gal out of tamarack only-she likes the more "red" look of the timber. I'm still looking though for some "good" pieces to use. Tamarach doesn't get much of the weird shapes and odd character like the lodgepole does. It's also a lot harder wood than lodgepole, and makes it more difficult to work with. Will hopefully look nice when I'm done though, I hope!

Buckfever:
Actually, my own Full was the first bed I ever built. I have wanted a log bed for a long time now, and while working on cleaning up our property last summer, I decided hell, I'd just try to do it myself. So, I sat down and thought about how I'd do it, what I wanted it to look like, then started finding good material. Borrowed a draw knife from my grandpa, started carving everything down, just kind of "experimenting" as I went. With letting the glue set and the finishing coats of clearcoat drying, that is what I ended up with about 7 days later. Some friends of my parents saw it sitting in my garage and wanted to know where I bought it. I said I built it, and had three offers that day to buy it. As it was my first, I said no, but I'd build them one, so that's how I started. Built the coffee table next, to go along with my bed up at my place, then built the twin and the queen for my land lady. Just brought down two more trailer loads of timber that I've been stripping for a few days now as time permits. Thanks for the other thoughts though, you've just given me a few more ideas for my own place. I really like the look of log material, and eventually want to build-or have built-a log home to live in. You're right about the various patterns, textures, colors and other knots, knurls, whatever else there is, it really gives a neat look and a great "feel" if you know what I mean.

Anyway, thanks again for the thoughts, I really appreciate it!

Mike