Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Why Arctic Cat........Thumbs

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2001, 02:07 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey I'm like everyone else that is new to this stuff(I guess). I am trying to figure out what I want and who makes the best of em. I want to use it for huntin and utility work. Yeah I may ride some trails also. I really don't want to get into water or mud up to the handle bars unless I screwed up and it just happens.

I would like(or at least think I would) a machine that can be taken in and out of 4x4. Why Arctic Cat? Yeah, I looked at one. And to tell ya the truth they are real nice. I also looked at the Kodiak. I know you guys are pregidice but what was the reasoning behind your decision to get a Cat? I want a machine that is as bullet proof as possible. Should I get the auto or the 5 speed?
I like the Honda also but not the full time 4x4. Polaris may be a question of reliability. Yeah I think it's down to the Kodiak or the Cat. Why the Cat over the Kodiak?

Thanks

Thumbs

Old 04-04-2001, 02:39 PM
Pro Rider

I think the cats are built better period. Look at the rear axle on the kodiak and cat. No question who is better. The cat has a better skid plate, semi independent rear, and a sealed axle tube so stuff doesn't wrap around the axle or bang it up/bend if you hit something with the axle. I would rather dent a tube than bend an axle. Hi/lo transmission is awesome. I though I wouldn't need it but I find myself using it more and more for stuff like loading the quads in my truck or trailer with steep angles. I've also found that hi/lo tranny allows me to pull more stuff and not worrry about hurting the motor. The motor is fantastic. Torque all over the place in the 500 and the 400 comes on strong too. I do alot of work on cars and trucks in my spare time so I do alot of looking at ease of maintance. I can change the oil in less than 10 minutes including the filter. No fittings to contort to find them and grease. The 2wd/4wd drive thing is no big deal to me since the cats steer fairly well in 2 or 4wd. I can't tell the difference. The trannies are solid too. The continuous belt on the autos helps with feel and takeoff. I have a manual and it works great. The shifter took a day to get used too but it helps when I have to stand up to ride in some areas. My mom can ride and use the manual so it too is easy. i say that because my mom has to use both hands to move and click a mouse. I think you will enjoy either quad. I just think the cat has some features better suited to riding the rough stuff(hunting) and working. Enjoy your ride!

Dakota R/T
http://lonestar.texas.net/~eeyore/atvhomepage.html

Old 04-04-2001, 02:43 PM
Range Rover

If work is your priority over spirited trail rides, the AC wins. If sprited trail rides is your priority over work, the kodiak probably wins.

As far as auto or 5 speed, your quote "I really don't want to get into water or mud up to the handle bars unless I screwed up and it just happens." would make you a good candidate for the auto, but it's all personal preference.

Your search criteria and your intended usage sounds a lot like mine when I was looking to buy. Good luck.

Old 04-04-2001, 02:51 PM
Pro Rider

My friends wife has an 2001 Kodiak she got scared going down a hill, she ask me if I would Drive it down for her, I got scared that thing felt so tippy I thought at any time I was going to roll over they are short and tippy, I had just gone down it on my 500 cat. On my cat it did not seam that bad, later that day she did end up rolling it, she was alright, she is now kinda scared to go down any thing, she had been ridding a sportsman for years before she got this.

Old 04-04-2001, 02:57 PM
Trailblazer

Thumbs I am in the same situation, trying to decide between a Cat and a Kodiac. Are you looking for a 400 or 500? I am leaning towards the Cat 400. It seems you get a good 4-wheeler for quite a bit less $. Is the cat a true 4 wheel drive quad? Another question I have has anybody heard any reliabilty issues with the cats?
Could some of you people post know prices paid for new 400 and 500 4X4 cats.

Thanx
tbstone
Future Quad owner

Old 04-04-2001, 03:04 PM
Trailblazer

I too was looking for the same thing in an ATV. I looked at most of the other brands out there and decided that the Cat had the best ride and the best price compared to the rest. I am very happy with the 500, I have taken it hunting, trail riding, and use it to tow trailers of dirt and rock around my house. It excels in all of those tasks and begs for more.

As for the auto/manual decision, I was originally looking at the manual but decided to go with the auto because it was only $200 more. I am very glad I did! It is so easy to ride, just get on and go. No worries about upshifting or downshifting based on the grade you are riding on.

Good luck with your decision, I do not think you will be dissapointed with the Cat!

Old 04-04-2001, 03:05 PM
Pro Rider

Both are good quads. My dad paid $4900 for his 400 and I paid $5850 for my 500 manual back in December. It looks like they are selling even cheaper now. The 4 wheell drive work beautifuly. Cowboy and some other guys have a great post/topic about how and what makes it work so well. My folks love thier 400.

dakota r/t
http://lonestar.texas.net/~eeyore/atvhomepage.html

Old 04-04-2001, 03:51 PM
Pro Rider

I haven't bought mine yet but I am getting the AC 400 4x4. It's the best bang for the buck. Our local dealers are selling the 400 for $4,500, the 500 man for $5,500, and the auto for $5,700. Those are about the best prices here. I have seen a post where a dealer in MN is selling the 500 man for $5,100.
As far as the Kodiak it is a nice machine but its width is only 42" compared to 45" on the cats. Like others mentioned it is way tipsy. But, it turns on a dime. I was trail riding with a group once we came to this section where the road was washed out. The guy on a kodiak in front of me stuck his front end in the washed out section. because it was off camber his left rear wheel came about 2 feet off the ground and he started to roll. I bailed off my quad ran up and jumped on his rear rack to pull the rear end back down. he made it through but had a close call. none of the other machines had a problem crossing. I have also been told that the exhaust system is to close and that there is not very good protection from the heat through the plastic. The riders legs tend to get hot riding.

Old 04-04-2001, 04:08 PM
Pro Rider

"I want a machine that is as bullet proof as possible"

That alone suggests the 'Cat. Others have eluded to the fact that the 'Cat is better suited to the hunting/working aspects of atving, while the Kodiak would be better for the spirited trail rides. Keeping both these issues in mind, my old boss bought two '01 Kodiaks a while back. He wanted a machine for hunting and hauling elk out down in Utah on some property they have. Not only did the Kodiak NOT do the job of pulling the elk out of which they had harvested, the guide had to go in on his machine and pull them out. They also tipped one of the Kodiaks over backward while going up a hill at a low speed. All it did was fall over backwards, land upside down. The result was a completely replaced rear end-broke both rear fenders, tail light, bent rack, etc. Not exactly "bullet proof" in my book.

My dad rolled his 'Cat several times both end over end and side-ways down a very steep hill before it finally was stopped by a large tree. After winching it back upright onto the wheels, then to the top of the steep hill, I straitened the handlebars out-they had been bent down to the gas tank, then fired it up. Only damage done was the plastic speedo cover popped off. It's been running just like new ever since, with over 600 miles since then-no broken parts, no bent racks.

Kodiaks may be good machines for what they were designed for-spirited trail riding, but when it comes to work you'll be hard pressed to beat the 'Cat. The torque numbers alone will suggest that, at a rated 31 ft/lbs., higher than any other utility quad out there, including the 600 cc Grizz.

Another great reason is the rear axle, as others have suggested. Ride both machines, you'll know what we mean. That swing axle on the 'Cat is awesome, and the housing itself is a brute. Simply put, the 'Cat is built to work, no horsing around about that. If you do in fact intend to use the machine for mostly work and hunting, my vote strongly goes to the 'Cat. If however you will be doing light work, some hunting/scouting and more trail riding than anything, I'd go with the Kodiak. As for mud and hill climbing, the power of the 500, coupled with the rear diff., the front end on the newer machines and the stock tires, the 'Cat easily accels in all aspects.

Sorry if I sound biased, but I am. Work is my thing and each time I go out either by myself, or with other machines, I become more and more impressed with the abilities of my 'Cat. I have always loved my 'Cat, but for a while was curious if I would have been better off with a different machine. After seeing nearly everything in action, the answer is no-I won't trade my 'Cat for anything. For brute tough work, dependabilty, smooth ride, ease of maintenance, and overall low end grunt torque from as near a bullet proof machine as possible... Go with the 'Cat, you won't be sorry.

Long winded views from a very impressed owner,

Mike

Old 04-07-2001, 09:28 PM
Trailblazer

I had talked my self into a AC 400 4x4 but this info here reinforces my decision to get a AC. Couple questions. Has anyone heard what changes they will make for '02? I can wait on one until the fall but if the changes are slight, buying one now may be cheaper than the new models. I was going to get a 400. I live on a hill and wanted engine braking. Does the 500 auto have engine braking? Other than the convenience of auto over manual, is there any other advantages to the 500? Thanks.

Quick Reply: Why Arctic Cat........Thumbs