Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

NEED HELP

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2001, 07:13 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need help, with my 500. The other night my dad took it out it started to sputter on him so he quickly came back and told me. I tried it out, it ran great but then it started to sputter on me. So I Thought it was low on gas but it wasnt. So any ways now it will only run for a few seconds with the choke wide open. I cleened the screens on the petcock, drained the gas,cleenedthe aircleener, switched plugs, and cleened the carb out. But is still wont run except for a few seconds with the choke wide open. Im lost. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
matty

Old 04-06-2001, 08:23 PM
Trailblazer

It sure sounds like a fuel problem. Check to see if you have spark when it won't run. If you do,un hook fuel line from carb, make sure that fuel comes out of tank. If it runs strong and clean, back to carb. Be carefull with gas, fire danger when gas is loose is high. Check float needle valve and seat.

Old 04-06-2001, 09:46 PM
Pro Rider

Have you been in or around any water lately? Mine was acting the same way after I drown it, is it possible you got some bad gas? I drained everything out from the carb, lines, and tank, then put in new gas and a half bottle of HEAT, that cleared it right up. -also had changed the plug just to be on the safe side, no problems since.

Best of luck, hope it works out OK,

Mike

Old 04-06-2001, 10:05 PM
Pro Rider

Take your bottem end of your carb apart end clean out the area of the fuel float. Seems like it got stuck open to me.

Old 04-06-2001, 10:17 PM
Range Rover

I would be willing to bet your needle valve return spring is ether broken or stuck. Been there, done that...
scotto
"Warpony" 99 Arctic Cat 500 manual
"Little Bad" 00 Arctic Cat 500 Auto

Old 04-06-2001, 11:54 PM
Range Rover

I would just like to say thanks everybody for your help. I thought I looked at everything on the carb carefully the first time i tore it apart to cleen. But I guess when I checked the floats the first time I missed the little spring. SO when I took it it apart then next time I looked at at it more carefully thanks to Scott, sure enough it was disconnected from the needle. So Now its running like new agian. Thanks agian to everyone.
matty