Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

2006 arctic cat 400 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 04:32 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 arctic cat 400 4x4

I bought an arctic cat 400 4x4. I put in a carb kit. Idles fine and will take throttle when cold. After 5 minutes of riding. It will idle but dies when you give it throttle. The guy said he replaced the flywheel and cdi. The coil looks to be old. Help!

Old 05-13-2016, 12:59 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Angryarcticcat
I bought an arctic cat 400 4x4. I put in a carb kit. Idles fine and will take throttle when cold. After 5 minutes of riding. It will idle but dies when you give it throttle. The guy said he replaced the flywheel and cdi. The coil looks to be old. Help!
Before you start it, check the battery voltage.....after you start it, check it again. Charging voltage should not be more than 14.2 volts...or thereabouts.

Old 05-13-2016, 03:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Fasteratv
Before you start it, check the battery voltage.....after you start it, check it again. Charging voltage should not be more than 14.2 volts...or thereabouts.
What if it doesn't?

Old 05-14-2016, 09:38 AM
Pro Rider

What if it doesn't?
^^^^^^Looking for excessive charging.

Old 05-14-2016, 10:40 AM
Weekend Warrior

^^^^^^Looking for excessive charging.
I will have to get a voltmeter. But the carb still seems to run rich. Tried adjusting the pilot screw but doesn't make any change. Seems to not have enough vacuum to pull the slide up when the engine is warm. Could it be the fuel inricher is not set right. I cant find how it should be set.

Old 05-14-2016, 11:47 AM
Pro Rider

I will have to get a voltmeter. But the carb still seems to run rich. Tried adjusting the pilot screw but doesn't make any change. Seems to not have enough vacuum to pull the slide up when the engine is warm. Could it be the fuel inricher is not set right. I cant find how it should be set.
Revisit the carb....and ensure you built it correctly, correct jets, correct float height, and the needle jet, and jet needle and diaphragm and associated componants are installed correctly. Adjust the fuel enricher ( choke ) so you have a few mm's freeplay in the cable. But if you didn't change the adjustment, then it should be good unless it was out of adjustment when you purchased it.

Old 05-14-2016, 11:58 AM
Weekend Warrior

The 06 Arctic cat 400 4x4 has an electronic enricher. Hate it. I need to know if the plunger hole for the should be open or halfway closed off for the choke.

Old 05-14-2016, 01:25 PM
Pro Rider

The 06 Arctic cat 400 4x4 has an electronic enricher. Hate it. I need to know if the plunger hole for the should be open or halfway closed off for the choke.
I don't like those either...LOL As far as I know that particular set up is not adjustable but when the plunger pulls out, the choke is on....when the plunger is all the way in the hole...the choke is off. Clean the plunger, and ensure it fits smoothly in to hole.....use care, they are easy to break....LOL....they suck .
There are kits you can purchase to make the choke completely mechanical/cable operated. A google search should provide you "hits" on the subject.

Old 05-14-2016, 01:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

I don't like those either...LOL As far as I know that particular set up is not adjustable but when the plunger pulls out, the choke is on....when the plunger is all the way in the hole...the choke is off. Clean the plunger, and ensure it fits smoothly in to hole.....use care, they are easy to break....LOL....they suck .
There are kits you can purchase to make the choke completely mechanical/cable operated. A google search should provide you "hits" on the subject.
Thanks i will probably go that route

Old 05-19-2016, 11:39 AM
Weekend Warrior

Volts are at 12.8 before starting. 13.5 to 13.9 when running.

Quick Reply: 2006 arctic cat 400 4x4