Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

07 400 manual, pulse fuel pump isn't working

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 02:13 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 400 manual, pulse fuel pump isn't working

Recently had to drain the whole system due to some really bad gas, and after doing this, have everything hooked back up, and the entry to the pulse pump is receiving fuel, but it is not outputting any. Confirmed it has a good vacuum input from the black hose by pinching it while cycling the starter, can feel it sucking, but no output through the clearish hose. The pump is clicking, which is good, but nothing is happening. I am at a loss with this thing, it has been a ***** to work on since the beginning...

Old 08-18-2016, 04:37 PM
Trailblazer

Never mind, upon further inspection (and another 2 busted fingernails, this cursed thing), found a VERY small crack in the fuel intake line going to the pump. No wonder everything sounded right, the pump is fine, it just wasn't getting fuel. Also tested the output of the pump, it did build up air pressure when holding my finger over it, it is fine. New tubes are on the way . This thing has still beaten me up more than those over-engineered brakes on a 2001 Suzuki Quadrunner 250 2x4 ever did. Darn Japanese engineering, why you gotta bolt everything down 2x more than needed...

Old 08-18-2016, 07:09 PM
Pro Rider

While your at it, check the air cleaner "boot" that connects to the carb. When they get old, tend to develop cracks, causing it to run lean, suck in water, mud and dirt. Both of my older AC's had badly cracked air boots. Don't know about Japanese engineering, Arctic Cat used a Suzuki design motor, built in Minnesota. haha

Old 08-19-2016, 11:35 AM
Trailblazer

Well, our Quadrunner 250 from 01 blew a headgasket from too much oil, and the clutch is slipping. Considering I have put 1600 miles on it, and nothing else has failed, I am impressed. But everything is bolted down TWICE, they SOAK the bolts in threadlock, and may as well weld them into place... It is a nightmare... Anyway, I got a new hose in for the AC, the Air cleaner boot is in better condition than ANYTHING else on that dang thing. Pulse pump (and engine) still have an issue though. Was running it last night at idle, and at idle, every few seconds, the entire fuel line would get emptied at once, and kind of pop violently, and make a noise, as well as almost kill the engine, and there suddenly seems to be a slightly smoke like smell, as well as a almost invisible smoke/mist coming from somewhere around the carb or engine. I noticed a crack at the connection for the vacuum hose, am going to replace that today and see how it differs. Have to buy new clamps because I couldn't find any of that thin walled crap anywhere, and as much as I like those crimp clamps, the new tube is thick walled, and I have to use screw clamps. Also, I curse this thing, because in just this series with the carb, I have nearly torn off all of my fingernails, gotten the skin pulled way back on all fingers, busted 4 knuckles, gotten 36 separate cuts, not counting previous mentions, and lastly, smacked my head, elbows, and knocked out my knees more times than I could ever hope (or care) to count. It dislikes me. It also runs well for everybody in the family BUT me. And I am the under 200 lbs one. When not at idle though, the aforementioned fuel sucking thing doesn't happen though. Also, the front trans-axle, differential, whatever the HECK you want to call it, has leaked (to the point of completely being empty), we are currently just trying to get this thing out of our hair until we completely tear down our Suzuki, and bleed the bleed-resisting brakes on our 99 Xpress 300. Alas, no. We have to go in and take THIS trans-Axle/Differential/Power splitting thing apart too now. We already had to replace both CV join Boots and re-grease the rear one 3 times, and replace seals as well. It is a hectic time. Both of our older ATVs (and our 1948 Buick Special) combined of all previous issues have been less problematic than this ONE ATV. And that Polaris has at least 3600 Miles on it now, and still does over 65 mph (about 10-15 MPH more than either of the others will go on a good day). It is kind of our workhorse since this GD AC never works. Also, please pardon this wall of text, I just had my 3 cups of coffee and just now got to take my ADHD meds.

Old 08-19-2016, 07:29 PM
Pro Rider

Hmmm, could be the coffee, haha. I have 7,000 + miles on my 01 AC 500 and 4,000+ miles on the 2002 AC 400. The 400 tops out at 57 mph once I got the Dynojet stage 1 kit, the 500 has 30" tires and does just over 60 mph. Both still have original axles, boots and I really like the Suzuki motors. Funny thing, had a 1,200 mile Sportsman 400 that almost bankrupted me. Arctic Cat 400 would eat it's lunch. Used to like to overheat and catch plastics on fire. OK, think I'm gonna have another cup of French Roast, extra strong...

Old 08-20-2016, 12:37 PM
Trailblazer

Yeah, only thing about the Xpress 300 is at full throttle it lays a smokescreen :P
Have not had time to go and replace the vacuum hose, been busy, but this convo has been a nice distraction from paperwork. Which I normally never have to do, so yeah, it has been confusing :P

Old 08-20-2016, 06:47 PM
Trailblazer

Well, finally got to go out, ended up replacing the long vent tube to the steering column that was just about ripped the whole way down, and replaced the vacuum hose. Decided it is probably the electric choke going nuts due to the bad gas the thing has in it. Added some Sea foam a couple days ago, guess I didn't add enough. Anyway, started the next phase of repairs, and removed the bottom skid plate, got the front end lifted up and set on jacks, tomorrow am going to start on cracking open the front trans-axle and seeing what the heck is leaking oil everywhere.

Old 08-20-2016, 08:53 PM
Pro Rider

I'm lucky, mine have manual chokes. When I got em, drained the diff lubes. Musta been the original factory fills. Looked more like road tar than lube. Engine oil in my AC400 didn't look much better. Hope the previous owners take care of their other vehicles better. Sadly, a lot of ATV drivers, seem to have the drive em till they won't go any more mentality. Could be the previous owner of yours was of that school. Look on the bright side, soon you'll have knuckles of steel, haha.

Old 08-21-2016, 12:27 AM
Trailblazer

Well, the only one that was obtained used was the Xpress 300, and this thing has never given us any real trouble, even though we got it from a junkyard for 300$, nothing was really even wrong with it, and a quick full drain of all the gas and oil, and re greasing all 900000 grease requiring bearings on it (really, there are in actuality around 7-8 of them, and 4 of them are only accessible by crawling under it and stick your hand into nasty spots to try and get to it, but that is only without the skid plate on. There is the steering Column, the base f the front wheel mountings (both sides), the steering bars connecting to both front wheels, on both ends, the axles that flex with the suspension on the front, both sides, both mountings for the rear single peice axle, the drive chain output form the tranny, and the actual bearing for the one piece rear axle. It is crazy.