Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

07 AC 400 manual 4wd Eletronic choke triggers at idle

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2017, 05:06 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 AC 400 manual 4wd Eletronic choke triggers at idle

No idea why, have a new fuel pump in there, and the line to the carb is full, this happened even before the new pump. Will hear a fwoop kind of sound, with a faint click, maybe from the fuel pump having to fill the line fresh rapidly, and the entire line to the carb is emptied out for a split second, and it nearly dies from flooding. Happens intermittently at even a healthy idle speed, and extremely low throttle levels. Have ended up replacing all fluid/vent lines with new tubes, put a new fuel pump, made sure all lines are clamped well, yet it still happens. Sometimes it doesn't quite manage to flood it, others it does. Can add video if needed.

Old 01-21-2017, 05:13 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

What about the carb condition itself? If a needle and seat are worn fuel can just bypass even if the float level is correct and either run out the over flow line or straight into the crank case or both.

Old 01-22-2017, 02:59 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
What about the carb condition itself? If a needle and seat are worn fuel can just bypass even if the float level is correct and either run out the over flow line or straight into the crank case or both.
am not entirely certain, the screws to get the throttle cable off of the carb stripped out on the first attempt I had at removing them. I managed to get one out with vice grips, the the other one is unfortunately trapped unless I did something drastic.

Old 01-22-2017, 08:18 AM
Pro Rider

Perhaps, a steady hand, slow speed cordless drill, and you can drill out the broken screws, then tap new threads for new ones.

Old 01-23-2017, 09:08 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by hydrex
Perhaps, a steady hand, slow speed cordless drill, and you can drill out the broken screws, then tap new threads for new ones.
Hah, with my luck, when I put the battery in the drill, thing will self destruct. Tomorrow, when I get me some free time, I am going to get some bigger, more bitey vice grips out from the danger noodle shack out back. Gotta dig out my old bayonet first and get her sharpened up, and get me a big pokey stick so I can scare the buggers out before I slice and dice. Or leap back and let the noodle bug off. Depends on who in the area is looking for fresh rattlesnake. I have seen ads in the local paper a couple times. Never know Anyway, if those don't work, I will get the rubber thumb-detector out, give it a few whacks, and try again. If that STILL doesn't work, then jeezelus, these things might just need a self-destructing drill to the head after all. It has only happened to the past two drills I used, and this one is coming to that age too. Getting skittish every time I touch the thing.

Old 01-24-2017, 08:13 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Don't know if it will help but I have a small pair of slip joint pliers that was perfect for removing bowl screw and bolts that were stripped in hard to get to places..

Attached Thumbnails 07 AC 400 manual 4wd Eletronic choke triggers at idle-s-l1600.jpg  
Old 01-29-2017, 07:01 PM
Trailblazer

Finally got a chance to get the hacksaw, cut a deep groove in the to screw on the surface, make it a flathead, and get mega screwy out of the super tools bin. Mega screwy ripped the screw free with ease. Soaked the one that is down inside the thing in magic oil for a week. Then got the tightest fitting Phillips head (this one wasn't stripped all to hell yet), got it vertically aligned with the thing, and got it in my vice to apply LOADS of pressure to keep it from slipping out. Then I got the monkey wrench and made that screw hate it's life. They are both out, and still usable. They had beefy lock washers, that was what was having them in so tight. They gouged out the part of the throttle housing that they were rubbing against, and had the one I got mega screwy out for, on the underside of the head (keep in mind these are stainless steel screws), it had scraped away almost half a rotations worth of the bottom of the head. Well, carb is now out, mega screwy is not as rusty (and has electrical tape holding the now two piece wooden handle together), and I took a sledgehammer to a fallen tree to vent my frustration I have had with these two buggers. The tree is now in many, many small pieces. Also, just to note, it has been down for over a year, I didn't not beat apart a freshly fallen tree with a sledge. That would be absurd . Carb appears to be nearly pristine, floats balance out with the level of the edge of the bowl when held level upside down. Almost no crud or trash in the thing to speak of. Will get air compressor and blow out the little intricate passages that don't lead to the primer. Wouldn't want to mess up the thing in there. Using mid to low PSI of course.

Old 01-29-2017, 07:59 PM
Pro Rider

You should post a video, especially of attacking rattle snakes with a bayonet, haha. I'm pretty lucky, no rattle snakes in Maine, only tree hugging greenies that want everyone to stop eating meat and stop breathing, because of the CO2. Come to think, snakes sound ok.

Old 01-29-2017, 09:24 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by hydrex
You should post a video, especially of attacking rattle snakes with a bayonet, haha. I'm pretty lucky, no rattle snakes in Maine, only tree hugging greenies that want everyone to stop eating meat and stop breathing, because of the CO2. Come to think, snakes sound ok.
Well, I would need someone stupid enough to come in there with me... or a third arm. Neither of which are likely. Plus, temperature just went from high 80s to low 50s. Winter in the south -.- It will be back in the 90s in one or two weeks though. Usually the snakes will flee when approached, unless it is a female with a clutch of eggs. In that case, things get interest. Usually in the case of jumping up in the air onto the nearest thing, and falling back, going back in with a 3x3x3 wood box cube that I made (feet by the way), getting on that thing, snake hook and bayonet in one hand, and throwing things at it like crazy with the other. And no, I am not right next to the angry girl either. If it persists in anger, I then put the bayonet on the end of the snake hook, and stab through the skull. Stops em quick. It is also really dark in there, and even with flash on, cameras just show black (I had to try and get some photos of water damage for insurance, and was about 4 feet away from the spot, using a pretty good camera).

Old 01-30-2017, 06:16 PM
Trailblazer

Well, finished doing tweaking, she idles like *** when cold or slightly warm, and I still have a little throttle adjusting to do so that I do not go over max throttle, but she will take a hot supper on demand (0-45mph with minimum number of gear shifts) when warmed up, and once she is hot she idled well enough. About as good as it was brand new. Not great, but good enough. Also noticed while I was tweaking the air screw back up (take a guess, start it, air box off and rubber boot off, shut off, tilt carb to the right, adjust, tilt carb upright, reattach vacuum line for fuel pump, try again) that at mid to high throttle, some exhaust starts coming back through the carb. Not large amounts, but a decent enough flow of it to have me slightly questioning it. Also, found out what the fwoop noise really is, and it isnt the electronic choke triggering. It is a small backfire. Noticed that when idling cold or slightly warm, when it would do that, puffs of exhaust would come back through the carb. Once it takes the normal route and exits the muffler though, exhaust is clear, no visibility until the occasional idle to sudden mid to high rev backfires, when I do that. When going from idle to high revs, this thing has always done that, and deceleration backfires too, for that matter. But with how bloody annoying this thing is to tweak, how difficult it is to get it out (After getting the throttle linkage and spring and stuff off the carb, I figured out a way to just disconnect the throttle cable. Would've made things so much simpler if I had noticed it earlier), and how rarely I actually go from idle to 3/4 or even full throttle, I am not going to bother with it. I got better things to do, unless this ends up being all the signs that my engine is about to implode. In that case, unlikely though I see it being, the. I will actually give a damn to work on this. Peace.