Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Need help for my friends Cat

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 05:55 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Need help for my friends Cat

Arctic Cat riders, I trying to do a favor for my friend and help him fix his Arctic Cat. He has a 2001 250 2X4 and it is running rough. Works great in warm weather. The cat will idle rough and no power in cold weather and back fire. We are going to rebuild the carb, but cannot find anyone who sells a rebuild kit for the 2001 2X4 250. He took out the idle fuel needle valve and lost count where it was set at (turns). Also the o-ring was shot. Any help with what the factory set on the valve is and also any suggestion where we can find a rebuild kit.

Old 02-07-2017, 09:21 PM
Pro Rider

I would check eBay first. The PMS screw, I would turn it in all the way, then back out 1 turn and see how it runs. Back it out if rpm go up until max, then turn in a bitThen if it has an idle adjusting **** (should be a black **** with a 3" flex extension) adjust the idle until it sounds right, too high, it will jump into gear, or automatic will start to crawl. If that won't get it to run right, I'd take it apart, clean it like heck , blow out all the jets 1 at a time , don't mix em up. Download a parts manual free from <mymowerparts.com> I doubt you need a rebuild kit, maybe the o-ring can be found at either auto parts store or ATV/ Motorcycle dealer. Search youtube for videos on cleaning Keihin or Mikuni carbs, pretty simple.

Old 02-16-2017, 04:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the help. A good cleaning and replacement of 0-rings did the job, but now there is another problem. The ATV act like it has a rev limiter kicking in on lower gears.

Old 02-16-2017, 08:55 PM
Pro Rider

Wow, that's a new one on me. Try a new plug and check the thumb throttle lever, my Arctic Cat gas models have a set screw so you can turn throttle down (governor).

Old 01-15-2020, 11:37 AM
Weekend Warrior

[QUOTE=kyblev;3351336]Arctic Cat riders, I trying to do a favor for my friend and help him fix his Arctic Cat. He has a 2001 250 2X4 and it is running rough. Works great in warm weather. The cat will idle rough and no power in cold weather and back fire. We are going to rebuild the carb, but cannot find anyone who sells a rebuild kit for the 2001 2X4 250. He took out the idle fuel needle valve and lost count where it was set at (turns). Also the o-ring was shot. Any help with what the factory set on the valve is and also any suggestion where we can find a rebuild kit.[/QUOTE

I have the same arctic cat and it say 2.75 turns on the label