Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

05 AC 500 manual no start help plz

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2017, 07:49 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 AC 500 manual no start help plz

I bought the bike dirt cheap knowing it doesn't start this is my first ac 500 and I'm not sure how to start diagnosing it

The guy said it has compression and spark
And he doesn't wanna mess with it anymore

So I'm guessing its fuel problem what should I start looking st 1st ?

Thanks for any info you can give me

Old 08-24-2017, 12:21 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

compression, spark, fuel, battery....
and get yourself a service manual from the countycat web site... their all under the technical section...

Old 08-24-2017, 04:48 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by Alex G.
compression, spark, fuel, battery....
and get yourself a service manual from the countycat web site... their all under the technical section...
I have a manual and OK will check everything would a low or bad battery cause it not to start ? It spins over but won't fire

Old 08-25-2017, 07:18 PM
Pro Rider

Check gas flow to carburetor.. If it's getting gas, then it's probably due for a good cleaning. Blow out all the jets with compressed air. If your Cat has a switch for reserve, might put it on "reserve". The older Cats would have 2 gallons or so left in the tank and then start running out. I've had that happen a couple times, look in the tank, it looks about half full, after pulling my hair out, try putting it on reserve, bingo. If you pull hose off carb and and get no gas, blow back thru it. If it starts running out, you may need to flush the tank. I've found a lot of crud inside gas tanks. If it turns over, battery is ok. Do you have a pull start? If it doesn't you can add one later. Oh, check spark plug if you haven't.

Old 08-25-2017, 08:00 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by hydrex
Check gas flow to carburetor.. If it's getting gas, then it's probably due for a good cleaning. Blow out all the jets with compressed air. If your Cat has a switch for reserve, might put it on "reserve". The older Cats would have 2 gallons or so left in the tank and then start running out. I've had that happen a couple times, look in the tank, it looks about half full, after pulling my hair out, try putting it on reserve, bingo. If you pull hose off carb and and get no gas, blow back thru it. If it starts running out, you may need to flush the tank. I've found a lot of crud inside gas tanks. If it turns over, battery is ok. Do you have a pull start? If it doesn't you can add one later. Oh, check spark plug if you haven't.
Hey thanks for the info so ithe ATV got delivered today and this is what's happening

Battery is charged but the relay is clicking if I jump the solenoid the starter is making a horrible grinding noise then jams up

The carb is getting gas

When I pull the pull start nothing happens at all gas leaks out the over flow on the carb no coughing back fire nothing at all I can just only hear compression moving through the air box I'll check spark tomorrow and put some gas in the cylinder then I'll post back

I got this bike on trade I traded my 93 king quad 300 and got the arctic cat and 500$ knowing this bike doesn't run

Hope we can figure it out this thing looks like a beast

Old 10-06-2017, 10:55 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Carb cleaning info

Gas coming out the overflow most likely means your float is stuck. Clean the carb but becareful of the diaphragm it will be swollen and won't want to go back in. I used a tuck and tighten method for mine. Pull it apart and clean then set the diaphragm back down in the setting. Line half the gasket in the seem and but the lid on lightly. Set one screw finger tight and use a flat head to tuck the rest of the gasket in the seem going from the left to the right. As you make it past a screw setting add another screw till the while thing is tucked back in. Just be careful you don't rip it. I didn't run across any other difficulties while rebuilding mine so it should be easy for ya. Hope this helps. Btw mines an 04 a.c. 500 4x4 manual.