Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Rented some ATVs, damaged one and got a crazy high repair cost... this look right?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 05:40 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rented some ATVs, damaged one and got a crazy high repair cost... this look right?

So we rented a bunch of atvs as well as one side by side arctic cat sport (https://www.arcticcat.com/dirt/side-...wildcat-sport/)

we were out in some sand dunes near st george, UT called sand hallow.
Anyways; the guy driving the side by side was riding around in the sand dunes and was coming down one of the dunes, turned really fast, and rolled the vehicle. The passenger's arm somehow got out of the rollcage area and fractured 3 bones and had to get surgery but he's alright.

The only visible damage was to the metal sheet roof which got bent.
When we returned the vehicles the owner immediately knew we rolled one because of the dent in the roof and said he needs to inspect it for damage to let us know how much it'll cost.

Today he told us the damage is going to be $6,380 because the back of the frame got bent. I can't imagine that the back of the frame would have gotten bent at all since we rolled it on its side and it was rolled on sand; no crashing or hitting anything hard.

None of us really know much about ATVing so i figure i'd post something here to see what you guys think. Does that sound like plausible damage and does the cost seem right?

here are some images from the rental company as well as their repair estimates:
Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Old 09-06-2017, 06:04 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

He's got rims,brake discs among a bunch of other stuff that may or may not be needed but unless he's willing to negotiate the costs sounds like a court matter and he's got the upper hand right off to bat. Unless you had insurance on the rental,any damage costs whether accurate or inflated you may be liable for. Bad deal all around and hiring an attorney may not save you any money,but may end costing you more when the dust settles.

Old 09-06-2017, 07:09 PM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You wrecked it, you bought it, unless insurance covers the cost of repair.

Old 09-06-2017, 07:44 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Buy it and fix it. A new frame costs $1,465.86 I know other folks have damaged frames and switched everything over. He should have offered insurance if it was for rental. That price might be fair to have a dealer swap everything over to a new frame. Friend of mine has a 1000 turbo RZR, fun, but it could kill you in a second. 1 ride was enough for me. At least with him driving. I checked pricing from Country Cat, btw. Offer to buy it for less, he might take it. A new Wildcat Sport isn't cheap.

Old 09-07-2017, 06:54 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

Any pre ride inspection done on it before you signed the paperwork? Any driving or safety instructions given? Those questions could be asked by an attorney. But like OPT said, attorney costs may be more.

Since you signed for it, you are pretty much stuck with it.

Get a detailed parts list. Each part and part number. Go online and see what the parts cost. Not sure what labor charges will be, but you'll get an idea if he's overcharging for parts.

Old 09-07-2017, 09:30 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Depending on the dealer insurance may not have been a option as insurance on a rental is huge for a dealer. Depending on the size of the dealer and how often they do rentals it may have not been a feesable option. I know personally my trailer has rental insurance on it and it doubles the price of my insurance. But in the same sentence OP could have went to a local insurance company and gotten day insurance. Before you rely on the dealers word for it get the machine and take it to a autobody shop and have them run the frame measurements and verify the frame is out. Its a good chance it is as sometimes it does not take much to bend something the forces just need to be applied to the proper place. Also you may want to find out what this Stop sales order artic cat just put out on all wildcats. Their is a huge recall coming through if they did that it may be a frame issue and the dealer is just trying to screw someone..

Just looked at the pics and can definitely see the damage. and that quote ...wow.. but frame and suspension parts are expencive

Old 09-07-2017, 09:51 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Having rented quads and side by sides in Utah, I thought there was an $18 per day insurance waiver that Utah requires as part of the rental cost. Maybe doesn't cover this but might be worth looking into.