Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

2005 AC 500 4x4 shifting problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 10:03 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 AC 500 4x4 shifting problems

hi everyone need some help bad
ive been doing tons of research and caant find anything
i have a 2005 AC500 manual shift
so what happens is when im at a stop if i shift it will shift but not engage and it starts clicking until i stomp on it a couple times then it catches into gear this happens in any gear

when i shift from nutral to 1st i jumps
and every time i shift into any gear it sounds horrible
the clicking also happens sometimes even when im in gear driving its still clicking

now this stuff only happens sometimes not every ride but mostly

ive adjusted the clutch with the adjuster screws dident help
ive turned my idle down like to the point the engine wants to stall still dident help..

also i have a rattle im thinking is in the right side bottom end ill take a video tommorw but its really bad when idle is slow and sounds better when idle is high not sure if its the top end or bottom but im really thinking bottom right ..would that also have to do with my shifting problem ? somthing loose on the clutch side

Old 09-08-2017, 11:57 AM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Don't think anyone will be able to tell you exactly what it is, sounds like your going to have to tear it down and see just what is going on. Sounds like something is bent or broken inside, time to get your self a factory service manual and start looking.

Old 09-08-2017, 05:00 PM
Pro Rider

Download A parts manual and a service manual from <mymowerparts.com> Country Cat may have something like that for downloads too. I suspect the previous owner beat it to death. I just sold one with 9,000 miles, it ran and shifted like new. Could be as small as a bent shift fork, but you'll have to take it apart, or hire a mechanic. It's just a Suzuki, nothing exotic. GL

Old 09-08-2017, 05:07 PM
Trailblazer

I have a manual and I've already been in the left side cover all gears and shifting fork looked good could something be wrong in the crank csse

Old 09-08-2017, 07:50 PM
Weekend Warrior

heres a link of the video i made of the sound

Old 09-08-2017, 09:27 PM
Pro Rider

Artic cat machines are as good as any out there, most depends on how the previous owner(s) took care of it, same on most all major brands!! Anyone can get a lemon on occasion, but most of the time it is how the machine is ridden and taken care of.

Old 09-08-2017, 10:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

yes i know its a great machine im assuming ur talking about the video name .. i was mad when i made the video llol.. any ideas abouut the sound

Old 09-09-2017, 08:56 AM
Pro Rider

Before you tear it down, send an oil sample to Blackstone Labs. Might narrow down the area of the problem, by highlighting any particular wear metal.

Old 09-09-2017, 10:21 AM
Weekend Warrior

how much is that gonna cost ?

i did the screwdriver stethascope trick and put it on the cylinder and couldent hear anything then i put it on te clutch cover above the oil sight glass what in there can be worn out and make noise >?

Old 09-09-2017, 10:30 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by scram50
how much is that gonna cost ?

i did the screwdriver stethascope trick and put it on the cylinder and couldent hear anything then i put it on te clutch cover above the oil sight glass what in there can be worn out and make noise >?

No way to tell over the computer, you will need to tear it open and see what the problem is. We could all make wild guesses here, but that is all they would be is just a guess. I would get into it before something else gets damaged!! The longer you wait the more it will cost....