Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

05 ac 500 manual shift need help badly

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2017, 09:00 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 ac 500 manual shift need help badly

hi all

gunna start by saying i got this on trade and was not informed of any mods

this is gunna be a little long but really need help ive been struggling with it alot

i found out for my self a dyno jet kit was installed

ok so atv starts right away idles great when im riding in ANY gear EXCEPT 1st
if i go to hammer the throttle the atv starts bogging it wont die it will just bogg till i let off the throttle and slowly climb up the rpms again for example...

im driving in 3rd shift to 4th and snap the throttle it bogs but if i shift to 3rd and slowely use throttle it runs fine

the other day i went to go climb a short hill not very steep or long in 3rd gear
and just when i got to the top almost it stalled i tried again in 2nd stalled again put it in 1st LOW and it climbed right up

today i went riding in some water (its snorkled and sealed verywell no water is getting in)

and i cannot go through tire high water in anygear other then 1st it will just bogg and almost die in 1st it powers throught the watter BUT i did a water wheelie in 1st and just as i reached the peak of the wheelie it bogged in the water and i couldnt throttle without a bog till i got out oof the water...

my carb is spotless ive cleaned it 10 times jets arenot plugged i can see light through every one diaghram is not pinched or poked

my PMS screw is 3 turns out as advised and my needle clip is 3rd slot from the top

battery is fully charged and not over charging i checked..

so im thinking 3 things

1 carb is running out of gas when snapping the throttle or going through mud or water or haveing any type of load ( dosent sound right to me though)

2 main jet to big stock says 138*with pump ..im running a 144

3 maby my clutch is not good any more ? i dont know...

at this point im lost if anyone at all has some info id apreceate it i should be able to have low end power in 2nd 3rd and 4th depending on what im doing but i have no low end power in any gear other then 1st ...

and my top end is suffering while trying to quickly accelerate

Old 09-25-2017, 08:40 AM
Pro Rider

If you have an inline filter replace it. Blow back thru the fuel line to the tank. Let it set for a while, then get a small hand pump and go to deepest part of tank and pump out some of the gas into a clear mayo jar. Just saying that I had the same issue with dirt in the tank. Also try with switch turned to Reserve if you have 1. Other thing, check that the float is set to 17 mm. Unrelated, but check condition of the boot between the carb and airbag for cracks. If you use the correct "wet clutch" oil , those wet clutches are pretty fool proof. If you aren't sure what is a good oil, I've always used Rotella T6 5w40 in my Cats. Sounds like you are running out of gas to me. GL

Old 09-26-2017, 09:19 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

i would say jet is to big... what color is your plug?

Old 09-26-2017, 08:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Zrock
i would say jet is to big... what color is your plug?
black soot

i decided to take my air box off and rip it around and it stopped bogging a little bit like i said theres a 144 dyno jet main jet in there wich is huge compaired to stock 138

Old 09-27-2017, 05:21 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

jet back to stock