Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

05 dvx 400 advise

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 05:32 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 dvx 400 advise

Hey guys I just got a 05 dvx never owned a sports quad iv Hurd good things about them I know they r the same as the kxf 400 and ltz 400 but was wondering if this year had an issues I can look out for

also I know it's a wet clutch so what kind of oil should I run?

Old 04-24-2018, 06:25 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

Welcome to the forums.

It is a wet clutch system, so you would want to stay away from oils that have friction modifiers. As far as brands, you're going to get a lot of answers on that. That's a good thing, but it's up to you what you're final decision will be. Things to consider; how much you want to pay, how available it is to you, dino or synthetic and what kind of performance you're expecting from the oil. And if what you choose doesn't make someone else happy, don't worry about it.

My first thought on oil has always been, you can use the cheapest or you can use the most expensive. If you don't change it on a regular basis, neither will do you much good.

Old 04-24-2018, 08:38 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by scootergptx
Welcome to the forums.

It is a wet clutch system, so you would want to stay away from oils that have friction modifiers. As far as brands, you're going to get a lot of answers on that. That's a good thing, but it's up to you what you're final decision will be. Things to consider; how much you want to pay, how available it is to you, dino or synthetic and what kind of performance you're expecting from the oil. And if what you choose doesn't make someone else happy, don't worry about it.

My first thought on oil has always been, you can use the cheapest or you can use the most expensive. If you don't change it on a regular basis, neither will do you much good.

guy said he ran 5w 30 I have 10w 30 from my 04 kx 250f would that work? I just trail ride I keep up with my matenens oil changes ect just didn' know if the 10w 30 would be ok my bike it a wet clutch also and guys down at the shop recommeded it...are they and flaws in the 05's I should watch for

Old 04-24-2018, 09:01 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

Is it regular car oil? If it is, it can cause problems for the clutch.

The 10w40 is the weight Suzuki recommends. The 30 will work for now. Depending on how hot it gets there in the summer, you may want to switch to the 40.

No real issues on that year. The 06 kfx I had needed an adjustment on the clutch cable. Only problem I had with it. Easy and cheap fix.

Old 04-24-2018, 05:17 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by scootergptx
Is it regular car oil? If it is, it can cause problems for the clutch.

The 10w40 is the weight Suzuki recommends. The 30 will work for now. Depending on how hot it gets there in the summer, you may want to switch to the 40.

No real issues on that year. The 06 kfx I had needed an adjustment on the clutch cable. Only problem I had with it. Easy and cheap fix.
Idk I asked if it was a wet clutch cause I saw it didn' have a cap for clutch fluid so I knew right there it was a wet clutch I asked him he said yes it is a wet clutch so a assume since he knew it' not car oil but you never know and that' why I'm changing it I do all that stuff when I get a new toy but this dvx is something new to me.....what is the bottle under the left.front it' like a red canister mounted near the fan? Is it coolent bottle? Or do u fill coolent threw the radiator