Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Piston and rings trv 550

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2018, 11:08 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Piston and rings trv 550

Hey I have a 2014 Arctic cat 550 trv xt. I only have 7500km on it and the dealer telling me that my piston worn out along with rimgs and valve seals. Also said i need to hone my cylinder as well. This normal for that many km? Also how hard is it to replace all those parts with out taking the motor out of the frame. Mostly wondering how you compress the rings to get them back into the cylinder, can you compress them enough by hand?

Thanks for your time and help..
PS why doesn't my phoned auto correct work with this site lol

Old 05-29-2018, 09:29 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

They make a tool for compressing the rings you would be fighting all day to do it by hand. Your engine get dusted or something? I have over 10 on my 2014 500. But im pretty particular on what i use for oil and filter oil and always go overboard on oil changes. What was the issue when it went to the dealer? Got any pics of the piston and cyl?

Old 05-29-2018, 02:53 PM
Pro Rider

If you don't have one, try downloading a service manual from Country Cat. Seems like very low km unless it ingested water or lots of dirt/mud. Honestly wonder if it might only need a valve job? If valves are not seating well, how can you check cylinder compression? Will be interesting to see condition of cylinder once head comes off.

Old 05-31-2018, 01:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

Went and got my bike back today, the problem was when they serviced my bike last they broke a clip off that holds my airbox together. I never thought to check the bike over and went out driving, nothing that I haven't been in 100 times before. When I get some I smell oil and see white smoke coming out the exhaust pipe. I went to check the air box and found the clip broken which I believe was how the water got in. I called the dealer up and made an appointment to have them look at it. They told me they had to pull the cylinder off the bike to see what was going on, I told them go ahead. I get a message from them saying it just normal wear and I had to go good for the parts, I was not happy at the low KM. I picked the bike up today because they wanted 1300 to fix it, figured I can do it myself. Read the papers they gave me which said there was some water in the oil, called them up and said hey it's water damage, not normal wear. They said the water in the oil didn't cause the top end damage, not sure what to think about that. They then told me that the bumper to bumper warranty I paid a lot for doesn't cover clips and so it's all on me. Done with them, I mean the airbox sits in front of the seat where you would think a gas tank would go totally covered by plastic. So how did something get in there and rip it off? I call BS

Old 06-04-2018, 09:32 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

if they broke the clip it was their responsibility to replace it at their cost not your insurance. If water was ingested then their is a good chance it was dirty water so all the dirt would have went through the cyl causing the damage. a engine with that low of km its not normal wear and tear. The additional insurance i bought when i got mine i was told it would cover engine failure don't see why yours would be different as thats a major selling point. To me it sounds like your dealer is trying to cover up their screw up by not replacing that clip. Once they sent the report to the insurance company the insurance company would make them pay for all repairs. If it were me i would contact the insurance company direct. If that does not work tell them you are going to post it across social media. Usually they will fold at that point as then could not take the hit if it went viral