Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

400 4x4 Automatic TRV vs 500 4x4 Automatic TRV

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2005, 03:08 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 400 4x4 Automatic TRV vs 500 4x4 Automatic TRV

Admitting up front I am a big Yamaha fan but will give credit where credit is due. Walking through Bass Pro Shop I saw these two quads and thought they were a fantastic design idea. I am looking for a machine to take camping so that my wife and I can ride through the wilderness and take in some scenes. Two quads are out of the question for she has no desire to “drive” her own as disclosed when I flirted with the idea of purchasing 2 small (250’s or 350’s) so we could ride together. She did however prompt me to do more research while riding with me on the Raptor this past Sunday stating, “That we needed one of those “two seaters” that we saw in the mall.”

Enough of that here is my question from the group that should know Artic Cat the best. What are the pros and cons between these two? I would prefer a smaller quad unless there is a significant reason for a larger quad. What should I expect the out the door price to be on the two?

Reliability? Ease of use? Ergonomics? Etc.. Give me the details!!

Thanks

Old 07-18-2005, 03:34 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

These TRVs are just like all the rest of Arctic Cat line. The 400 is their biggest seller and is basicly bullet proof. The autos have next to no problems. The 500's are the same deal with a bit more power. However if you ever need more go, other than top speed (if you wife is like mine, 2nd at best or maybe 3rd gear is it and not maxed out either) the 400 will meet you needs. My wife and I did some two up riding on a 250 even, and now she rides that 250 all by herself and loves it. So get the TRV and you may have to buy her, her own someday. Good luck.

Old 07-18-2005, 03:53 PM
Got Milk!
Blaming Guns For Crime Is Like Blaming a Spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being Fat!

Hey BigBlack, I think power is the only issue here, as both the 400 and 500 AC's have been very reliable. The TRV would be perfect for you guys while camping, those MRP attachments are great. I wish I had them on mine. Now coming from a guy who has a Raptor, it might take you a while to get used to the "speed" of an Arctic Cat. You might be happier with the 500 then. Oh, the 400 is going to be very weak until you get about 300 miles on it, then it is like a totally different machine. So keep that in mind when you test drive them. Both are very easy to use, you might want to invest in some new tires ASAP as that makes a huge difference (so everyone says, I am still on the stockers...) Ergonomics are great, so is the fit and finish. I have no idea on the prices, but Bass Pro is known for selling Cats cheaper then the other dealers. Gander Mountin too if you have one of them in your area. Good luck![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 07-18-2005, 09:34 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Catterman is wrong. If you are gonna ride with two people onboard you can't expect to go everywhere or over everything as a single rider rig will and damn well not as fast either, or someone or both of you will end up hurt. Besides I never met a woman when riding as a passenger who didn't want to go slow enough to see the scenery and even stop regularly and take pictures. So fast isn't what you should be getting a TRV for (I think you don't expect to either, even if you own a craptor, oops sorry [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]) and that pretty much negates the need for the big engine (why else bring out the 400 version if the 500 hadn't proved to be more engine than really necessary). Neither the wife or I are little people and the 250 went wherever we wanted to go, even with a deer on the front rack, including to 7000 ft without a change from the sea level jetting.

Old 07-19-2005, 09:30 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Bear4570
..., even if you own a craptor, oops sorry [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]...
Guess I came here with respect and praises for your company's eye catching quad and I am now leaving with an insult to what I ride, oops sorry [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img].

No I do not want anything fast. When I ride two up on the Raptor I barely ever get out of 2nd gear and am easy coming up to speed. My wife does not like to go fast and would rather cruise around on the golf cart. I was looking for something that would creep around the wilderness in North Georgia, provide as much comfort for both riders as possible and be dependable.

Thanks Catterman for your thoughts (you too bear for the topic related input) I will test ride both before I decide but if the $ difference is not much I may lean toward the 500.

Bear I could insult your ride but I respect yours and the others here preference of quad.

Old 07-19-2005, 12:36 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: BigBlack
Originally posted by: Bear4570
..., even if you own a craptor, oops sorry [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]...
Guess I came here with respect and praises for your company's eye catching quad and I am now leaving with an insult to what I ride, oops sorry [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img].

No I do not want anything fast. When I ride two up on the Raptor I barely ever get out of 2nd gear and am easy coming up to speed. My wife does not like to go fast and would rather cruise around on the golf cart. I was looking for something that would creep around the wilderness in North Georgia, provide as much comfort for both riders as possible and be dependable.

Thanks Catterman for your thoughts (you too bear for the topic related input) I will test ride both before I decide but if the $ difference is not much I may lean toward the 500.

Bear I could insult your ride but I respect yours and the others here preference of quad.
Jeez, it was a joke. But if you are that thin skinned, I don't think you will do well in what the real world is turning into. I know several guys who ride Raptors and call them "Captors" as a joke.

Old 07-19-2005, 01:50 PM
Got Milk!
Blaming Guns For Crime Is Like Blaming a Spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being Fat!

Good luck BigBlack, one more thing to consider is how hot it gets when you are riding. The 400 is only air and oil cooled, while the 500 is liquid cooled. I myself have never had a heat problem with the 400, but I have a friend in Minnesota who says he can't ride on the 95 degree days because of the heat coming off the ATV. The engine never overheats, however it just puts out so much more on his legs. I have never experienced that (hottest we get up here is 75) but might be something to think about.

Also, I really do like the Raptor [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] The new EFI looks pretty awesome. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 07-19-2005, 03:02 PM
Pro Rider

You are right Catterman. I drive an air cooled v-twin motorcycle and wish many times I had a little h20 to dissipate the heat. The liquid cooled idea may be a good thing especially in South Georgia. I want one of the EFI’s really bad but do not want to fork out money for another sport, my next will be an ease around on ute and this sweet looking cat may be it.

Bear, see I do not know you and have never been involved in discussions with you so I do not know you sense of humor and happen to be very proud of my 100% uptime 0% downtime Raptor that I have owned since 2001. I would like to ask if you would walk up to a complete stranger in a bar and comment negatively about them without first knowing them. In the world I live in we first get to know one another and then poke fun at each other, I happen to be a jabber and cut-up but I do it with a group of “post ho’s” I know over in the “Anything Goes – Daily Spin thread.

Bear I visited you profile page and realize you are not some teenage punk trying to start stuff. Now I am comfortable knowing that you are a knowledgeable adult and your jabs will not cause such awareness from me in the future and will probably result in me and you funning it up together.

Ride on and keep the shinny side up, never know I may have to buy you a beverage of choice one day.

Old 07-19-2005, 07:45 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: BigBlack

Bear, see I do not know you and have never been involved in discussions with you so I do not know you sense of humor and happen to be very proud of my 100% uptime 0% downtime Raptor that I have owned since 2001. I would like to ask if you would walk up to a complete stranger in a bar and comment negatively about them without first knowing them. In the world I live in we first get to know one another and then poke fun at each other, I happen to be a jabber and cut-up but I do it with a group of “post ho’s” I know over in the “Anything Goes – Daily Spin thread.

Bear I visited you profile page and realize you are not some teenage punk trying to start stuff. Now I am comfortable knowing that you are a knowledgeable adult and your jabs will not cause such awareness from me in the future and will probably result in me and you funning it up together.

Ride on and keep the shinny side up, never know I may have to buy you a beverage of choice one day.
I apologize if I offended but was just trying to be light about it.

Old 07-19-2005, 09:14 PM
Pro Rider

Bear, you’re alright and kidding is alright by me, I am just sensitive to the smart holes who claim to kid but are truly serious always trying to start something. Since I was "trespassing" I may have been too sensitive and jump the gun and I apologize for that. I see you’re in Washington, some nice riding places up there isn’t there. Here in Georgia I have to travel around 3.5-4 hours to public ORV trails. Of course I have permission from surrounding farmers to ease around the edges of their property. I respect their property and do not “tear it” up. Heck my Raptor’s average speed is probably 30-something but, I have had it up to 73 once. I went riding with a pack of ute’s through a creek run that was very low. Mud, Raptor, and I did not have fun. I would have rather had a ute for that trip. Of course when we hit the open dirt roads and fields I was always up front. At the end of the day though I was the muddiest and took 4 hours to return my precious toy back to like new condition.

Quick Reply: 400 4x4 Automatic TRV vs 500 4x4 Automatic TRV