Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Plastic Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2001, 03:12 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this is one of the complaints about our bikes, although when it all boils down if that is really all people can complain about then AC is one heck of quad. I have one vibration that really bugs me. Have any of you guys ever had a vibration that feels like it is just below the plastic cover over the gas tank? It only vibrates when I begin to accelerate and then it stops. It's not a big deal but just wondering.

Old 05-01-2001, 03:43 PM
Range Rover

I have a small vibration on the left hand side of the gas tank were the plastic pieces come together. If I put my hand on it it quits. Hasn,t been enough to make me do anything just yet.
I did notice though I could not hear it when my wife and I ride side by side. She has a Sportsman 335 and it has all kinds of whining and vibrations fron the spinning of that clutch. Not trying to start anything here. I bought it for her because of the ride and it still rides better than anything else. I really like my AC 500 with the 589 M/T's it was the workhorse I needed for my hunting trips yet it rides very good for the muscle it has. I am sure I will go on rattle patrol in the near future so always appreciate any good ideas.

Old 05-01-2001, 03:56 PM
Trailblazer

When I adjusted the valves on my 400 4x4 before reassembly I Put some electric tape on the frame where the gas tank rests. This helped for that vibration. Also, where the plastic side panels (tabs)latch to to the front is another trouble spot. A few layers of tape or some foam tape will help.

Old 05-01-2001, 04:11 PM
Trailblazer

Anybody notice a rubbing noise from the rear end of the 400 4x4's? It sounds like knobby tires on pavement, even when on dirt and turf. My brake handle was sticking, and I thought that was it, but didn't help. Probably not a big deal, my first 4x4 and shaft trans ATV, so not very familiar with them yet.

Old 05-01-2001, 05:50 PM
Trailblazer

Colden I had the have the same vibration in my 400. I am taking it to my dealer just in case wed. night. If you read below "sound coming from quad" there is a thread about it. I also noticed some grease around the main drive shaft. I don't know if that is supposed to be there either. I am not a mechanic so I figured I would let the dealer look at while it is under warranty.

tbstone

Old 05-01-2001, 06:21 PM
Trailblazer

The reason for my posts is to determine if I need to visit the dealer, or if something is minor, therefor don't need to worry about it. I know what is over my head as far as maint. goes, and it is not much further than changing oil.

With that said, I guess I should of read that prior to adding my post here, because it sounds like the exact same thing. I am getting close to my post break-in check-up by the dealer, so I will have him look at it. Let me know how yours turns out, maybe it is something I will need to get in ASAP or maybe something not to even worry about.

Thanks for the info., fellow HILLARY constituent.

Old 05-01-2001, 06:42 PM
Range Rover

i just put some "zip" screws that you use for heating/ac duct work in those tabs. it shut up.

Old 05-07-2001, 11:34 AM
Trailblazer

tbstone,

How did you make out with the noise problem?

Thanks, David

Old 05-07-2001, 01:57 PM
Trailblazer

Colden, I didn't get a chance to take it till saturday. Dealer said the noise from the quad is normal. All of ther "all time" 4 wheel drives do it. He also found a oil leak on my rear differential. It appears there is a seal back there and it is pushing all my diif fluid out. luckily i have been checking that and filling as needed. he is going to replace the seals on wednesday for me. other than that everythings ok.

Later
tbstone