Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

spring spacers

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2001, 11:31 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed 1/2 spring spacers all the way around on my 2001 500 auto and on my buddies 99 500 manual this weekend.Is anyone who installed these spacers experiencing any problems with the increased angle on the front driveshafts causing wear on the front cv joints? I gained 1" at the pegs and lifted the body 1" front and rear.It made quite a difference in the body roll on both machines and decreased the steering effort required on the 99 considerably.
It was very easy to fabricate and install these bushings on both machines taking approximately 1 hour.
Also I have a buddy who is looking at a 93 Kawasaki 400 4 wheel drive.I am not sure of the model but apparently it is in really good shape.Is there anything in particular that he should look at in this machine or do they have any reliability issues that he should know about?

Old 05-27-2001, 11:59 PM
Range Rover

How did you do this and what did you use for the bushings? My son finely got his new 27" bi/tri-claws on his 2000 auto and I am considering doing this to his wheeler.
scotto
1999 Arctic Cat 500 "Warpony"
2000 Atctic Cat 500 auto "littleBad"

Old 05-28-2001, 12:11 AM
Weekend Warrior

I installed ½ spring spacers only read springs
on my 2000 500 auto I am 4170 mles no probleme
this modification.

Old 05-28-2001, 01:58 AM
Pro Rider

The 1993 400 is the Bayou 400. It's a liquid cooled ATV with a single range tranny and pretty impressive grunt for a 400. I think it has just as much torque as the Foreman 400, and not far from the 450. It also has semi-IRS like cats, just not as much travel and not as flexible IMO, but it does have a soft ride. I think this is one of Kawasaki's best bikes.

Scotto,
To install the spring spacers you must first remove the shocks. Then you have to remove the retaining clip from the top of the springs. You have to compress the spring before doing this tho. I used a pintle hitch trailer to compress the spring enough to remove the retainer. After you remove the retainer just remove the spring, grey conduit,and washer below it. Then place a spacer (size depends on your needs) or even stack washers on top of each other to get the desired stiffness you want. Then do everything like you did before, just reverse it.

Old 05-28-2001, 07:20 AM
Weekend Warrior

In regards to the fabrication of these spacers ,I took some 1/2" thick UHMW polyethylene,available at any plastic supply house.Next I used a 1 1/4" holesaw and cut some slugs,I then drilled a 1/2" hole in the center of each.I then cut a tapered slot into the center hole approximately 3/8" wide where it meets the 1/2" drilled hole.It should just snap over the rod on the shock.
Installation was very easy and didn't require taking the shocks off.We threaded 5 fairly heavy zip ties up through the springs,then I got two of my buddies to sit on the rack to compress the springs and tightened the zip ties.Be careful when you let the weight off of the rack as you will be testing the strength of the zip ties that you used.I then picked up that end of the machine from the rack using an engine lifting device,this gave me plenty of clearance to install the spacers and a very controlled method of descent when I lowered the machine back down and fitted the spacer into the groove on the top of the spring between the mounting boss and the removeable spring plate(aluminum).Very Very easy! Do the same on all four wheels and you will be surprised at what you get for very little effort.

Old 05-28-2001, 11:50 AM
Range Rover

Thanks guys, sounds fairly EZ. I'll give this a try this week. Boner, hows the repairs on your cat coming?? I think, err, I hope, I got every thing fixed and ready on ours. My son, and I are heading to Utah this coming weekend for 10 days of riding..
scotto

Old 05-29-2001, 03:42 AM
Pro Rider

Scotto:
Hey man, how's it going? Glad to hear your boy finally got his 'Claws, he's going to love them! (Alex is it???) As for the spacers, I used a shaft collar, just cut it down to 1/2" in front, 3/8" in rear. A few of the other guys have used standard heavy guage pvc pipe, with roughly 1/4" wall thickness, which works great too. I believe you need a 1 1/4" i.d. hole to fit over the spring bushing-to fit our machines. I think Waco4Whlr has a '01 model, had to use a 1 3/8" to make it fit. Anyway, I've got right around 1,000 miles on my spacers with no problems what so ever-still towing/pulling/hauling anything I can get my hands on! Keep in mind, most of my miles are all hard working miles, not leisure rides, probably more abuse the way I work them, just a thought though-you should be fine. And, like Boner and Boggit said, it's pretty easy to install them, though it will ride a little more rough than stock.

Anyway, just wanted to say HI, best of luck on the trip to Utah, hope you guys have a blast!

Mike

Old 05-29-2001, 10:39 AM
Range Rover

Hey Guys:
Scotto, I think the spring spacer setup is a great idea. Inexpensive, easy to do and really does help the cat. I did have to use a collar that was 1 3/8" inside diameter. It might have been a 1/32 of an inch less than that, maybe. The 1 1/4" i.d. would not fit over my springs. No way would it go. I would take one of the springs off and get that retaining washer off and measure it. It is not going to be really tight, but you won't have much more clearance than that. Cowboy can give some real good directions, helped me. Good luck you won't be disappointed.