Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

I HAVE SEEN THE NEW '02 ARCTIC CATS!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2001, 12:03 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where did you see the picture? I looked at the website and could not find it. Tell me where you saw the picture so I can sleep at night. J/K.

Old 06-01-2001, 04:09 PM
Range Rover

I saw the picture in the magazine. I don't know if it is on their website or not. They show a green and red cat from the front. The pics were shot through a chain link fence. The front definately looks different and the fenders look a little more squared off. It looks like the handle bars are higher and narrower to me as well. After that not much else looked different. Rims/tires are the same.

Old 06-02-2001, 02:53 PM
Pro Rider

Cummins:
Best of luck with the new purchase! As far as the new changes, mostly what you've just read in the above posts. So, to your question about shifting in and out of 4wd. Yes, you can shift on the fly, regardless of speed. I find it easier most of the time to shift while on the fly actually. The front diff. occassionally tends to "lock" up I guess you could say, preventing you from shifting out of 4wd, while at a "stand-still". When this occurs, you have to give it a burst of gas to get the machine moving, then it will slide back into 2wd very easily. Myself, I just go in and out all the time while moving, not stopping unless I need to drop to low gear, or jump back up to High range.

Switching from hi-lo range, or back again, you do have to come to a complete stop (for the auto machines), but as you are looking into the manual, this is irrelevant. Hope that helps, and whichever machine you end up with, be sure to get a good set of stick stoppers/cv boot protectors! If you do any riding in very rough terrain, with tons of sticks, sharp rocks, stuff like that-you'll definately want the extra protection of the stick stoppers. Even just running around the farm, you'll never know when you accidentally wind up with barbed-wire wrapped around your arms. A good set can cost anywhere from $30-$60, and is basically cheap insurance to replacing a cv joint should the boot tear. The other thing to possibly look for when making the new purchase is the winch/warranty deal. I strongly believe there is no replacement for the investment of a winch. Not only will it save your butt, should you get in a jam, but the other chores/uses you can do with a winch are endless. I consider it the necessary tool, rather than an "option". As for the warranty, most machines come with the standard 6 month warranty. AC is very reliable, I highly doubt you'll have a problem within the first two years anyway. Besides, if you read the "fine" print, the warranty isn't really worth that much anyway-you'll probably be far better off with the winch in the first place.

Anyway, hope that answers your question about the shifting, I just threw those other two items in, should you be interested. Again, Best of luck with the purchase, let us know if you have any other questions, we'd be more than happy to help!

Mike

Old 06-02-2001, 05:35 PM
Trailblazer

Well i was going to buy a 2001,but now I have got to have one of the 2002 model's,it's gonna cost more money,but so be it. *LOL* Are the new cat's going to have any more top end speed? I heard some one say more power in the motors. So i hope this holds true,I'm not a speed freak aat all but a little more top end would be nice at times. Keep up the good work guys and stay cool.......Later, Paul Stanley[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 06-03-2001, 02:25 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Cowboy- Yeah man, I haven't been around much lately. My ride is fixed, but I haven't ridden much at all. Personal life is getting in the way right now, but in a few days, depending on how things go, I may end up having a lot of riding time on my hands(that ain't what I'm wanting to hear though). A new design sounds good, but I hope that they keep some kind of big bumper in the front. There's a good chance I could end up wanting a new ride sometime late this year or next year, but I don't know what it would be. A bigger IRS Cat would be sweet if they increase the speed, but I'd like to see what the new yamaha will be like also. We'll get to see before much longer I guess.

Old 06-03-2001, 04:53 AM
Pro Rider

Andy;
Good to see ya back, hope everything is working out for the better in the long run for you-glad to hear you got the 'Cat fixed at least, that's a plus! Been pretty busy myself lately. Spent a little time up working at the ranch, riding a bit which was fun. Been moving both my sister and I back from school-we're both graduated and done for good now! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Guess it's now time to get out and start working for a living, maybe make some money if that's possible anymore these days.

Anyway, best of luck to you, hope everything works out OK.

Mike

Old 06-03-2001, 05:28 PM
Range Rover

HI! Cowboy, Thanks for the reply! are you telling me on a manual 500 you can shift from high to low or back without stopping? I can understand how you can go in and out of 4-wheel drive while moving but not when you are actually changing your gear ratio. I figured it was like any truck transfer case in which they require you to stop(slight rolling)and go in or out of low to high. Also if the stock sticker stoppers are inadequate, could you refer me to any brands that are good in your opinion?

Old 06-04-2001, 12:12 AM
Pro Rider

Hey, no problem, sorry for the confussion there though-even with the manual, I would come to a stop to switch from high to low, or back again. You're right about the gearing thing, just like trucks. As far as the stick stoppers go, I have Cycle Country brand on mine, which have worked very well. The dealer gave them too me when I bought our 'Cats-kind of a little "extra" you could say. They work great, have definately done their job, saved my boots for over 1,100 miles now. Others are using a brand called Ox-Lites, which are quite a bit taller, or deeper, whatever you call it. I haven't checked prices lately, but last time I knew, the Ox-Lites were a little more expensive than the Cycle Country brand. I think at the time it was around $30 for the Cycle Countries to buy them, around $45 or so???? for the Ox-Lites, maybe a little more. Cabela's also has their own brand for around $45 as well. Either way, I haven't heard of a bad brand out there. The only complaints I've heard of are the amount of mud build-up with the deeper style, such as the Ox-Lites -it can be difficult to reach down in there and remove all the mud buildup over time. Still, it's cheap insurance when compared to the price of replacing a new cv joint.

Best of luck,

Mike

Old 06-04-2001, 02:45 AM
Pro Rider

ON a manual shifter you have to come to a complete or rolling stop to shift in and out of high and low range.

Old 06-04-2001, 09:34 AM
Pro Rider

I shift ranges all the time on the fly, up to 20mph on a 300. You have to be a little cowardinated but it's kinda like the old split shift trucks. For instance, to go from low to high, you would shift to 2nd Low, then downshift to 1st BUT you must hold the shifter down, so the clutch is free, then imediatly shift to high range. So you go L2 to H1 or any combination which give about equal speed eg; L3 to H2 or H2 to L3, SuperLow ranges you have to be going slower. Just remember to hold shifter up or down to enguage clutch till transaction is completed.

Quick Reply: I HAVE SEEN THE NEW '02 ARCTIC CATS!!!!!!!!!