Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Plows

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2001, 01:49 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im looking at getting a plow for my Cat. Is there a big differance between the differnat plows. I dont know what to get. I plan on getting a 50" becasue thats all I think I will need. How have the AC plows been, they are all plastic right? also are the Ac plows the only ones that have the remote angling controls and does it work good.
Thanks for the help

Old 06-15-2001, 03:36 AM
Pro Rider

Are you using it for mainly snow, or some dirt/gravel, other stuff during the "off season" months? Also, how big of an area will you be covering? I have no knowledge of the AC plows, but if they are plastic, I would steer away from it. You'd be surprised as to how much abuse a plow really takes, I wouldn't skimp on a well-built unit. As a result, I think the Moose plow is about the best model, sturdiest, heaviest duty you can get. The Cycle country plow is also a good unit, I just feel the Moose is stronger, built tougher. Also, unless you are doing very confined area's, I think you'd be surprised you might just be happier with the full 60". That extra width will definately make sure you "roll" the snow out from under the tires. Granted, you won't be able to do sidewalks as easily with the 60", but you can cover a lot more ground, getting the job done that much quicker. Don't worry, your 'Cat has plenty of power to move the larger unit as well. As for the angling, both units have side to side angling, several different positions. Whichever plow you decide, you'll definately want the heavy duty skid pads, and not sure if you saw my other tip about getting the thicker wear bar from a city rig. You'll have to cut it in half, then drill it out to fit your plow, but it will last easily twice as long as the normal "heavy duty" wear bars you can buy from any of the plow manufacturers for atv's.

Oh, and I can't remember who, but a few guys on here had some great pictures of plowing snow-some of them might even surprise you at what the atv w/plow can really do! Oh, www.hi-per.com has a couple different plow styles, prices, etc.

Best of luck,

Mike

Old 06-15-2001, 10:06 AM
Trailblazer

I've never seen a plastic plow but like the remote angling idea. I've been plowing 3 winters now and last year my piles were so big I needed a loader to come in a move them cause I was running out of room. I'm on my second Mooseplow in 5' and it's very sturdy compared to anything I've seen. If you plow snow over gravel it's btutal on the edge and wears it faster than pavement. I do both and use a warn Winch for the raising chore but that's hard on winch cable cause of the 90 degree turn of the cable over the roller fairlead. You ned power assist to lift a 5' plow especially when it's full of sticky wet snow. The Mooseplow has a bery short angle adjust lever on the new models which makes it hard to find once the machine is snow covered. Tires and traction are as important as the plow so don't forget that. Good luck!

Old 06-15-2001, 06:00 PM
Range Rover

I have had my 50" Moose plow the last two winters and it works really well. The dealer I bought my AC from sold Moose plows exclusively because of how well built they were. I bought two 50" Moose setups for friends of mine through my dealer this winter, they were $305 a piece for plow, pushtube, and mounting bracket.

I've looked at the AC plows some, but the plastic construction scares me. I've bent my mounting pins some from hitting stuff too hard, I think I would have damaged a plastic plow by now.

The remote angling would be nice, but for what I do I only change angles once or twice when I plow.

Anyway, there are some plowing pictures in my signature. If you have any more questions, I can sure try to answer them.

Old 06-15-2001, 08:48 PM
Trailblazer

I have the 50 in. Arctic Cat "plastic" plow. I have used it for 2 seasons now and I am very happy with it. It has a heavy steel constructed frame with the curved plastic in front with a steel wear bar as the cutting edge. It rolls the snow, even wet snow nicely. The pivot brackets are mounted high up under the foot rest so nothing hangs down when the blade is off. It is very easy to take off and on. My next door neighbor has a moose plow on his Cat. After seeing his blade and the way it mounted I was even more happy with mine. In my opinion the Moose plow is not as solid as the Arctic Cat plow. The mounting brackets also are mounted low so he gets hung up on things while riding without the plow. I use my blade all year around. I have used it to push dirt and spread gravel and it handled the jobs very well. Last year while plowing snow I hit a concrete parking curb with the corner of the plow. I hit it hard enough that the curb broke in half and I moved it about a foot. It made an awfull noise and about threw me off. After examining the blade only the very edge had bent but not enough to hurt anything. As you can see I am very happy with it and plan on having it as long as I own a Cat. Later....

Old 06-18-2001, 11:12 PM
Trailblazer

Stitch...I'm also looking for a plow, thought I'd get a jump on the crowd. Seems natural while cutting firewood to season. I had a Yamaha with a Cycle Country plow, 48". It plowed well but it was very light duty. If I overtaxed it, I think it would break. Also, with a manual lift, it would not raise too high and would bottom out when going over bumps. I tried out a Moose at a local dealer. It was nice but also heavy. That is good but using a manual lift would wear me out. So a winch or power plow lift kit would be needed. I have been meaning to call Cycle Country and ask them if they have redesigned their plows. I was the best to serve my needs (400' downhill drive-steep) and of course, get it cheap! As much as I complain about plowing or light duty plows, it was great compared to doing nothing (and having a skating rink all winter). Shoveling was out of the question. It would be Spring by the time I finished. Let me know if you find a good deal somewhere and I will do the same. Thanks Cowboy for your words of wisdom. You know, I'm almost $5000 poorer ('01 400 4x4) because of you. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Jeff