Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

2002 Arctic Cat Brochure

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2001, 08:24 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Picked up a AC 2002 brochure from my local AC Dealer yesterday. She still had them in the big box, along with the other accessories she didn't get around to setting out yet. I found a quote inside that was kind of neat. It says, "In fact, the only thing we couldn't give an Arctic Cat ATV was the big name some of our competitors have. So we gave it bigger value. And isn't that what you'd rather ride."? Teri said that they sold a lot of 300's in the past, with the 400's becoming more popular. She thinks the new 375 will be a big seller. I myself am having a hard time deciding what I will get for my 1st quad. Either a 300, 375, 400, or 500. I would be pulling a 7 tooth spring tooth plow, and I would like to get a snowplow for whichever quad I buy. We have a 470 foot driveway with a slight incline that can get kinda nasty in the winter, or when we get a lot of rain, it likes to washout on the sides. That is where the springtooth plow comes in handy. Really dries the soil well then. What would you guys buy for plowing and pushing snow?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Would you go with a manual or a automatic? Thanks for the replies![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 06-29-2001, 01:03 AM
Range Rover

Ask Boner if you can, he is the true A/C GURU. In my opinion you need gears, if you read the reviews here even they say that for real utility work stick with gears. From what I've heard sounds like the 300 might be best for you with its 3 speed sub-transmission or if you want bigger the 400 or 500 I'm sure would work.

Old 06-29-2001, 09:07 AM
Trailblazer

I am mixed on this...for plowing snow I like an automatic, I have used a Sportsman 500 (my bro's) but when we have to do some serious grunt work pulling a heavy trailer or pushing dirt or gravel with a plow we use my Quadrunner 500 with the manual.....more torque and I have an easier time keeping the rpms up...tough choice....this sounds bad..Hondas Rubi may give you the best of both worlds...good luck!

Old 06-29-2001, 07:00 PM
Trailblazer

I am kind of in the same situation. My experiences and opinion are as follows.

First the good part.
I currently have a 98 Grizzly and LOVE it for plowing snow. No gears to worry about at all. Just drop the blade, shove it into low, then "gas and go". I have a 650' gravel driveway and although it should be work, plowing in the winter is a blast. The 60" Moose plow and Superwinch 2000 make it childs play and all of the neighboors like it too.

Now the bad part.
I also pull a 48" Cycle Country Rough cut mower around to keep about 4 acres mowed, as well as my trails through the woods, and that is REALLY hard on the Grizzly. First it is NOT liquid cooled and it gets VERY hot. Secondly the best speed for pulling the mower is about 3mph. Thats just about where the belt begins to engage. So I am constantly on and off the throttle trying to stop the mower from ******* down, while trying to keep the ATV moving.

Conclusion.
This previous winter I was having some electrical issues with the Grizzly, and it was taking the dealer a LONG, LONG, LONG, time to remedy. In the interm I kept bugging him for a loaner. He gave me a 2001 AC 500 manual equipped just like the Grizzly with a winch and a plow mount in hopes of making a sell. I had it for almost a month while he worked (or didn't work - another story) on fixing the Grizzly. Although I missed the automatic for plowing it wasn't that bad. The foot rocker shifter takes a little getting used to but after a while it become pretty routine. In summary I am going to be looking at a liquid cooled manual in my near future. It will probably be a 400 or 500 AC. I love the new Grizzly but I am done with automatics. I need a tractor of an ATV. 90% of my hours/miles are rolled up at less then 5mph.

Old 06-29-2001, 09:29 PM
Pro Rider

Even though my brother has a 2000 Kodiak 4+4, and my brother-in-law has a 99 Kawasaki Prairie 4+4, I think I would like a Manual AC 400 or 500 also. I just think I would enjoy shifting more, since I have a Pickup with a Auto in it, and a snowmobile. I just remembered all the fun I had when I was younger driving a 1964 Honda "Dream" 150, a Yamaha Maxim 400, and the time I drove my brother-in-laws 1977 Harley Sportster 1000! Fun going through the gears! I just think that for pulling a plow, and plowing snow on a hill, a manual would suit me just fine. Liquid cooled of course! A Ac 300 might be the perfect choice with the three range transmission, but I think that the 400 would probably be a better choice, with the extra weight behind the snowplowing. Have to decide between the 400irs or the ACT 400. Now I have to start saving up money! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 06-30-2001, 01:08 AM
Pro Rider

The AC 500 Manual transmission sounds like what you would need. It has alot more grunt than the 400 for pulling that plow and the lack of IRS will keep the tounge on the low to maximize it's use.

I don't really understand why AC doesn't atleast put a 500 piston in the 400. That would make it a true 402cc and GREATLY effect it's low end power. If they would do that I think I would recomend it alot more, but with it's rather lacking Low end power for a 400 class bike I don't like recomending it, espeacially for work applications.

Old 06-30-2001, 09:55 AM
Trailblazer

I plow over a mile,from the house to the county road. Heavy or light snow makes no matter,second or third gear is all I use,The A.C 500 is more than enough machine for just about anything. YOU WANT GRUNT!! YOU WANT A.C.
Jim

Old 06-30-2001, 11:07 PM
Pro Rider

Boner, The plow that I use is only 44" wide, and I use a clevis and small chain to hook it up. So tongue weight is no concern. I have used a John Deere GT275 Lawn Tractor (17 H.P.) to pull it with! When I really sink the plow deep(about 2or4 splines from the end, when I pull the handle down), the JD will start to spin out going downhill![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] But it works pretty good when I don't sink it down as deep. But this is one reason that I wan't a quad to pull it with, besides snowplowing. Save the wear and tear on the Lawn Tractor [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] More power and better traction! I am thinking that a 400 or 500 Manual AC would fit the bill. Thanks for your input! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]