Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

CV Boots!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2001, 10:28 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey all, I'm new to the ATV Connection Forum. Anyhow, to get to the point: am I having the world's worst luck with CV boots? I have had a torn boot at 70 miles (left front inner), 120 miles (right rear outer), and today at 135 miles (left front inner again). Today in frustration and due to the dealer closed for 2 days, I went to Autozone and found a CV boot kit that replaces the AC kit for only $10. This is 1/3 the cost of the AC kit. The P/N is 10056K, by New Alloy. It comes with grease and clamps. Also picked up a band tool ($6) and already had the retaining ring pliers.

FWIW, after the rear boot got torn, I put the steel wraparound boot guards on in an effort to prevent another. Looks like the front guards don't do a lot.

I ride in rugged territory, all either in Tellico or local old moonshiner's trails.

Old 07-09-2001, 10:57 AM
JKB
Pro Rider

This is the best part of the forum. The sharing of info. I have not yet torn a boot, I have broken the clamp loose on a couple of occasions but nothing other than that. I have had steel CV protectors on since day one. I now have 1800 miles on the original boots and still going. This bike has been very good so far. I spent less than $50 bucks on it other than regular scheduled maintenance.

Cheers Jim

Old 07-10-2001, 09:28 AM
sly
Trailblazer

Is the inner boot and the outer boots the same size?
And do you know if this will fit the 500 auto?
Thanks!!

Old 07-10-2001, 09:58 AM
Pro Rider

Yes inner & outer are the same. 500 & 300 fronts are the same. Not sure about 300 front & rear, have ripped 2 fronts, no rears.

Old 07-18-2001, 03:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

I am having the same trouble with the boots I tore a right inner. There is a auto boot that will match up with the AC boot, is this the part No. for an automobile. And by the way how often do you ride Tellico.

Old 07-18-2001, 05:23 PM
Pro Rider

Out of curiousity, are the guys that have been tearing the boots the most using aftermarket cv boot guards, like either cycle country, Oxlite, etc.??? They really provide a ton of protection to the cv area's, if you're using them, I'm just curious as to how you keep tearing them all the time??? I've had my cycle countries on since I bought the 'Cats, have around 1,200 with no problems what so ever. A lot of my riding is through fallen timber, lots of sharp sticks, branches, limbs, brush, crap like that. It was enough to pop one of the stock 489's, but have never torn a boot. I just ripped my boot for the first time the other day when I had my wreck, and blew out both ball joints. With the machine up in the air and the ball joints gone, the force of the tire falling ripped the joint out of the housing, and putting all that weight on the boot itself, causing it to tear. But, it would not have happened if I didn't blow out both ball joints and cause the rest of the damage to the 'Cat.

And, Tonebalone-is your dealer really charging you $30+ for the boot kit? I just repaired all my damage, the cost of the boot kit was right at $20. Still, that's twice what you paid for the aftermarket one, but at least it's not three times-that's crazy! Thanks for the part number though for future reference in case anything happens. Cheaper price is always nice. Been thinking of taking a cross-country atv trip, hitting some of the great spots in the states along the way and back again. Would like to re-design a new tool box to replace the small stock one, large enough to hold a few necessary goodies in case of breakdown, such as a new boot kit, a cv joint assembly, extra grease, oil, etc. Stuff like that in case something happened out on a trail somewhere, would be nice to have-and all the tools to fix it as well, like circlip pliers!

Anyway, Best of Luck guys, hope you figure something out to stop tearing boots so much!

Mike

Old 07-18-2001, 06:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

Cowboy: I was indicating that I had some extraordinarily bad luck with boots. I need to find some oxlites for the front, those stock front guards are lousy. Also, I think I paid $25 not $30 for the CV kit. Tennessee sales tax cranks it up to near $30 though. As far as a new tool box, you might try a .50 cal. ammo can for what you have in mind to carry.

Tellicocat: yes that was an automobile part number, from autozone. But just remember 1985 Nissan Pulsar inner boot. I would ride more often at Tellico if I can get somebody to ride with there. I plan on being there Aug. 22-26th, camping and riding but would go every other week if I could.

Old 07-18-2001, 06:33 PM
Pro Rider

Tonebalone-
If you haven't already found them, Highlifter has Oxlites I believe www.highlifter.com. Also, Cabelas sells a few different styles of guards at www.cabelas.com. I think Rocky Mountain has as well-www.rockymountainatv.com. I don't know who has the cheapest price lately-they'll range anywhere from $35-$70, with Oxlites being more expensive than most others. Course, they are a lot deeper than the rest. Sorry if I sounded weird there, was just curious how everybody was having bad luck with boots-seems like a bunch of people are having troubles-kind of weird.

As for the ammo box, I thought about that, but don't think it will fit the way I'd like it too. It looks like the stock box could be about 2-3" deeper (longer), and could come down another couple inches as well-that would work perfect. I could just throw everything either in the mortar box up front, or in my rear rack bag, but I kind of like keeping everything in their own "special place" heh heh heh i.e.-winch gear, straps, etc. up front, personal gear such as clothing, sleeping bags, tents, food, water, etc. in the rear, with atv parts/tools underneath. Picky b_stard ain't I! heh heh heh [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Anyway, Thanks for the help, Good luck finding something that will work-hope you have better luck with boots!

Mike

Old 07-18-2001, 06:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

You might find some big schedule 80 PVC pipe with a cap on one end, and a treaded cap on the other, if you want to stick it in place of the stock tool box.

Old 07-19-2001, 10:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

A FRIEND OF MINE HAS THE FACTORY AC BOOT GUARDS AND HAS TORN 2 BOOTS SINCE THAT TIME. TO ME BY JUST FEELING AND LOOKING AT THE AC STOCK BOOTS THEY ARE WAY TO THIN. I JAMMED A VERY SMALL I MEAN VERY SMALL LIMB THRU MY RIGHT REAR INNER BOOT, AND THE LIMB WAS EVEN ROTTEN. NOW IT COULD HAVE BEEN A FLUKE THAT JUST HIT AT THE RIGHT SPOT IN THE RIGHT CONDITION. I HOPE THAT IS ALL IT WAS I HAVE BEEN IN SOME VERY ROUGH AND ROCKY TRAILS SUCH AS THE UPPER TELLICO AREA AND HAVE NOT HAD ANY OTHER PROBLEMS AS OF YET. GOOD LUCK GOD BLESS AND RIDE SAFE[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: CV Boots!!