Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

ATV Jet Kit ???

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2001, 02:59 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone have any experience with the K&N ATV Jet Kit?

What is it? How does it work? DOES it work? Is it difficult to install? Will it have any negative effects?

They claim a 5% increase in power. It looks as though there is a drill bit included in the kit. Not sure I want to start drilling holes all over the place.

Thanks for the info.

Rob

Old 08-02-2001, 05:53 PM
Pro Rider

Usually the K&N kit has a new air filter, air filter filter (a pre-filter to keep the main filter cleaner longer), a bottle of cleaning solution, bottle of oiling solution, a new main jet along with new pilot and needle. Personnally, I don't think it's worth what they charge for the entire kit. A new main jet cost is less than $3.00 from your dealer, the pilot is around $4-5 I think, and the needle around $10-11 or so??? You can buy the air filter and "charger kit" for around $30-40 depending on where you go, so all this totals around $58 on the high end. What are they wanting for the kit, around $100??? Guess that means the directions are an additional $40.

I have never had a problem with the stock blue foam air filter on my 'Cat, so I just kept it, along with a "spare" in case mine gets really dirty while riding, I need to change it. I've heard problems from the race guys that the K&N's let too much of the really fine powder dust in, they've found dust get past the filter, so I've never had any reason to try a K&N on my 'Cat. Some guys do use them and haven't had a problem at all, guess it's in who you talk to. Some say "yes, there's a huge difference", while others say, no, nothing noticeable. My guess is that those that see the biggest differences are usually the younger "racer" kids who are just happy they got something new for their raptors and such. While more airflow is better for performance, I don't know how much more the K&N will allow over the stock blue foam-especially when you need a filter for your air filter. Others say altitude makes a big difference in the K&N's, that at higher altitudes, they seem to flow better, get more noticeable gains-this I can understand-the air is thinner up higher. The other thing is, even though the new air filter will breath easier, have higher flow rates, where does this air come from? Is there enough air flow through your airbox and the air intake to increase air supply to the new higher flow filter? Highly doubtful, which is why you see guys drilling several 1" holes into their existing airbox, or airbox lid-to allow more air into the box. In racing conditions, this is fine, but in our 4x4, mud, water, etc., I know I sure don't want any more holes in my airbox to allow for more air to get in-just lets water and mud in too! I doubt any air filter will hold up well submersed in mud and water.

As for the jets, I've replaced my main jet (stock 150) to a 145, as my stock jet was too rich. Since the replacement, it is running smoother, easier, and gets better fuel mileage-because it can now use all the fuel it gets, rather than being "force fed" more than it needs with the larger jet. You'll want to keep an eye on your spark plug though after full throttle runs, while killing the engine at full throttle, then letting off the gas. This will give you a proper plug check for the main jet.

Anyway, unless you get the K&N with the jet kit and pipe, I think the normal air filter and jet kit is just too overpriced. Oh, as for how it works, the idea is more air flow with the new air filter, "proper fuel ratio" with the new jets to combine for more power. I'm guessing you'll mostly notice a smoother running engine, better throttle response, rather than "seat of the pants" type power gains-that is, unless you get the pipe too. As for negative effects, it won't hurt anything unless the filter lets the really fine dust in, in which case you can replace your engine. Or, if you run too lean a jet, you can burn your piston. Ideally, no, there is no negative effects.

Hope that helps, and Best of Luck,

Mike

Old 08-03-2001, 11:18 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the info, Mike. The kit sells for $45 from Rocky Mountain ATV, but it does not include the air filter or air filter cover. I tried to make a link directly to that page on my first post but it doesn't seem to be working. Anyway, you're right. Purchasing the parts separately is less expensive.

Since I mostly ride in dusty conditions, I plan to stick with the stock foam filter. I certainly don't want to start drilling holes in the airbox. For a utility ATV, this doesn't seem to make much sense.

I'm still in the break-in period but I've noticed that I'm not getting very good gas mileage. Although, I'm not quite sure how accurate the fuel gauge is on the Cat. Last ride, it indicated that I used about 1/2 tank to go just 18 miles! When I looked in the tank, it seemed to be more than half full. I'm going to keep riding until I hit the reserve to see how many miles I'm getting from a tank. Don't know if it matters but I've been using Super Unleaded. I'm going to try using Regular to see if there's any difference. If this doesn't improve after another 100 miles, I may consider replacing the main jet.

BTW, that's an awesome buck. Congratulations!

Thanks again.

Rob

Old 08-03-2001, 12:03 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah, I tried your link there, but I think it was just the Rocky Mountain Home page that came up??? I didn't see the kit you were referring to so I just made an assumption to which one it was-sorry about that, I was thinking of a different kit! So I take it this one just comes with the jets and needle then??? If so, then yes again, I think that is definately overpriced. Like I said, simply changing your main jet for around $3.00 made a big difference in fuel consumption on my 'Cat. Before I did my tranny mod, I was getting better mileage out of my 'Cat with the huge 27" 'Claws, than my Dad's stock 'Cat! That's only going from a 150 down to a 145.

As for the gas guage, I kind of only look at that as a rough estimate-the guage is WAY off all the time. I think it is basically there just for somebody to say 'hey look, I got a gas guage', nothing more-it's not that useful really. For instance, I can ride about 30 miles (?) somewhere in there-before the guage tells me I'm empty. Then, I run another 30 or so before I have to switch to reserve (prior to jet change). I was getting I think around 90-95 miles per tank if I remember right. Ran completely out of reserve once, that was at about 95 miles, but did A LOT of towing logs and mud riding before I actually hit the trails. The new jet helped, when my Dad's machine says it has 1/4 tank left, mine says about 3/4 tank. So, yeah, don't worry about that 18 miles and 1/2 tank, you should get another 30-40 before the top is dry at least.

As for the deer-THANKS MAN! He was my very first buck, I'm still proud. Course, if you look at BigDCRed's latest pictures of those huge Mulies, my guy is just a baby in comparison! heh heh heh, like I said though, he's my first and I don't care what anybody says-I finally got one!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
I CAN'T WAIT for this coming hunting season, I'm itching like crazy for it to finally roll around. Bear and Cougar opened state wide yesterday, but I got permission to hunt a special area for bear, which doesn't open till Sep. 4th. Have about another month to wait. I guess that's fine though, as the coats aren't worth a darn on them right now anyway, they're all scraggly and shed out. Not that september will make that much difference, but maybe they'll start growing a little more hair if the weather changes, it starts to cool off again. I guess either right before hibernation or immediately after in the spring is the best time for a skin, but hey, I've never got a bear before, so I probably won't care what condition it's in if I do get one! heh heh heh. Unfortunately deer doesn't start till mid Oct., with elk starting a couple weeks later. I've still got a while for that. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] I've got my boy today so I think we're going to go shopping for a good cow call and maybe a new Mossy Oak camo long sleeve shirt just for fun. -I like shopping for hunting stuff [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Anyway, Best of Luck to ya, hope you enjoy that new 'Cat!

Mike