Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

New Cat

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2001, 01:20 PM
TG1
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cowboy,
The setup for the 500 4wd system sounds exactly like the 250's. My problem lies is with the camshaft and selector arm. The arm will move roughly a 1/16th of an inch from the diff along the camshaft. I tested the system last night by climbing a large gravel mound in both 2wd and 4wd. I'm just going to call the dealer and check with them. The foam pad supplied with the kit to protect the steering post frame had no sticky stuff. I did try using 3M-spray glue but that didn't work. So now I'm not even going to bother with the foam. If anything I'll use a couple of large wire ties to ensure the shift linkage rod does come into contact with the steering post.
As for Corndog, if you hate your machine then sell it and buy a Honda Recon or whatever makes you happy. I'm more than happy with my 250 4x4 and providing I remain happy I'll trade up to a 500i in a couple of years. Honda, Yamaha and rest all make excellent machine it all a matter of finding the one that suits your needs. I did plan on buying a Big Bear 4x4 or a Rancher but the price was more than I was willing to pay right now (yea I'm cheap). Besides I like having a machine that is a little more exotic!

Old 09-27-2001, 04:29 PM
TG1
Pro Rider

I did call the dealer about the 4wd shifter problem, all is normal. They told as long as the 4wd system is working then there's nothing to worry about.

Old 09-28-2001, 01:51 AM
Weekend Warrior

Corn Dog is always whining about his 250. He even got mad cuz his buddy's Honda rode the Mississippi on the bottom from the headwaters in Minnesota all the way to its mouth in the Gulf of Mexico. And all his Cat did was sink to the bottom.

Now, personally, I have ridden my AC all the way to the bottom of the Marianas trench (tens of thousands of feet deep) and the only problem I had was my registration papers got a little damp, and some barnacles stuck to my skid plate. Oh, and I got the bends too but a couple of San Miguels took care of them.

Old 09-28-2001, 02:13 AM
Pro Rider

Ha Ha Ha! LMFAO!

-sorry, couldn't resist, but that was funny. Sounds like you're pretty lucky to get rid of the bends, I hear that's pretty nasty stuff! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

TG1-
Glad to hear it's all worked out and was nothing to worry about!

Old 09-28-2001, 03:35 AM
Pro Rider

Ole corndung has more problems with his AC than anyone I have ever heard from.

He thinks Boner owns a dealership,I'm a factory engineer and his plastic is always cracking and breaking off. Just no pleasing some people.

Tonebalone were those San Magoos paper or painted label. Got to stay away from those paper ones.

Oh I long for Olongapo and a cold San Magoo.

Old 09-28-2001, 08:28 AM
TG1
Pro Rider

What a difference being able to choose 2wd or 4wd! The 250 feels much sportier when in 2wd. Last night I was able to do a 6 to 8 mile ride with no trouble. Now that I've experience IRS I'll never go without it again! So far so good.

Old 09-29-2001, 02:44 AM
Weekend Warrior

Minehunter, those were of course painted label. Everyone knows that the paper labels don't cure the bends.

I take it you were in the minesweepers. Myself, CVs. 22 yrs and retired.

Old 09-29-2001, 03:20 PM
Pro Rider

Tonebalone, I started out life as an Airedale. An ADJ to be precise, but the Navy in it's infinite wisdom said I would make a good Sonarman. The trouble is they never took into account the hearing that I lost being a Fkt Deck troubleshooter. So after the conversion the only sonars that I could work on were ones that you didn't have to hear. So I became a minehunter. 10 as an Airdale and 10 as a blackshoe.

I still have JP in the veins though.

Old 10-01-2001, 01:27 PM
TG1
Pro Rider

I was able to put on 45 miles this weekend and the cat performed for most part flawlessly. I did have one mishap. While making a water crossing the cat died in the last 10 feet. The cat would not start in the water (I only tried once… thinking maybe I didn’t need a tow). After pulling the cat out the rest of the way I checked the air box (found just a little water that might have amounted to 2 tablespoons). Next, I tried starting the engine, which coughed a spurted. Once the engine was running (sort of) I took out the drain plug for the muffler. After about five or ten minutes that cat was running fine. Everything should be ok, the oil is getting changed tonight and there was no water in the sight glass. You guys ever have any trouble? I think the cat died to the fact it was at sharp angle (the front being higher than the back) and I was barely moving (1st gear, low range). Any advise?

Old 10-01-2001, 02:06 PM
Pro Rider

A couple of things that will help on water crossings. Get some Dielectric grease and put it on the spark plug connection. It will help to keep the water off the plug and it's non-conductive.

The other is to keep the rev's a little higher when crossing water. It will keep water out of the exhaust system that way.