Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

BELT VS GEARS

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2001, 09:55 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been having these arguments now for a long time and would like to know everyone elses knowledge not thoughts. My fatherinlaw has a 2001 TRAXTER XT, and I have a 2000 Grizzly, he teases me all the time that my grizz could not do half the work his traxter could do, that I would burn a belt up, he says that a rubber belt will not work like gears or even go the distance. I have pulled really heavy loads with my grizz, like 1500 lbs with the trailer weight up in the mountains in low gear and it has never once had a problem.
When pulling is the belt taking all of that weight or is it just changing the gears in the bike. I know a geared machine seems stronger for pulling but is it. I've heard of other grizzly's with 6000 miles on the same belt that have been worked hard. This weekend we pulled 800-1000lbs of wood in a trailer with the Taxter out of the gully and to be honest I did wounder if my grizz would be up to it for the day like this traxer was.
Would an automatic work side by side with a Geared bike day in and day out without problems. Any one have knowledge of this. Now I know from experience that Yamaha has one of the most superior automatics out there but will it last like a geared bike.
Thanks
2000 Grizz
3600 Km's and not a problem.

Old 10-10-2001, 02:02 PM
Range Rover

After researching that subject I came to the conclusion that gears are better for work. If you have read some of the reviews on this site they even recommend gears for heavy-duty service. I plan on using mine for spraying applications, in which requires a very slow pace and I was concerned that I might always be right on the verge of belt engagement and that is what will hurt the belt the most. I haven't had luck with most variable speed drives utilizing belts. But I'm also sure that the material the belts are made of today is 10X better than say 18-20 years ago.Now on the other hand you have several people on here like Minehunter that has something like 3500 miles on the same belt and no sign of wear and Cowboy seems to give his 4X4 auto a test every time he goes out. (Particularly with the oversize tires he is running)One note for just trail riding and occasional work I would have probably bought the auto. I do like driving my nephew's 500HOJust my cents if I had any!

Old 10-10-2001, 02:53 PM
Pro Rider

Yam-
Here's my take on the subject-gears are stronger than rubber, no question about that. In the truck world, manuals have always been chosen over auto's for really heavy pulling-large trucks towing huge horse trailers and semi's pulling 53' trailers-manual has always been the way to go. However, with todays technology, auto's are becomming more and more the way to go-ease of use, and strong as hell. The new Duramax with the Allison 5 speed auto trans for heavy pulling applications out of a "light duty" truck-3/4 and one-ton trucks. A great setup for towing large loads. And, to further the notion, many semi's are now running automatic trannies as well-have been for a few years. What does this have to do what quads? I think like trucks, I have to agree hands down with Cummins that the belts have come a long way in technology as well.

Now, when the subject comes up as to "will my auto be able to work at all"?, I say yes. Will it work like a manual? I still say yes, simply from what I've done with my 'Cat. You are correct about the Yamaha having a superior belt design-Both AC and Yamaha have/had the best belt design on the market for quads, hands down. I don't know how the new Kaw 650 rates, so I can't comment on that-it might be just as good. However, I will say that I would not recommend it on the Polaris auto's-why? Simply because of belt engagement. On the Yammies and AC's, the belts are always engaged, however on the Polaris machine, they are more of a "snowmobile" style, in that it engages and releases constantly, giving "belt slap" from the sides. This is what leads to wear and eventually belt failure. Yammy and 'Cat don't do this-it is under tension at all times, so for the very slow pulls, where you may let off a bit, then gas it again shortly on uneven terrain, the Yammy and 'Cat will stay engaged, where the Polaris will engage, disengage, engage again, etc. This is basically my "theory", as you may question why the Polaris wins so many heavy weight pulls-think about it though-in that circumstance it isn't even fair to judge as a "working machine" as in a drag of weight, you hit the gas and go, achieving the furthest pull possible. You simply "hit the gas", which means the belt engages and does not disengage till you reach your maximum pull distance and either bury the machine or burn the belt. A working machine is almost never in that cirumstance-farm rigs especially-always low speed, low gear pulling heavy loads whereever.

How much work can an auto safely handle? I don't know really-I've pulled massive loads with my 'Cat in greatly varying terrain and under all conditions of weather and ground, never slipped a belt, never burned a belt, never had a problem with my belt. Cummins is right, my massive 'Claws do put a lot of extra tension on the machine at all times, and is just another "added strain/stress" when I run around all the time. Then, couple that with pulling heavy loads, it's a mixture for disaster in the belt department surely-or is it? With over 1,200 miles of this, I have yet to have a single belt related issue. How heavy of loads am I pulling? Large log bundles or single huge logs that I can't pick up myself, and frequently two guys cannot pick them up-that is fairly heavy I would say just to start with. Pulling a suburban up hill in over 2' of snow-now that is some serious drag resistance there! Should I mention the trailer was attached as well? If I was going to slip a belt, I should have done it there for sure. The other thing is, while pulling logs off of a choker line, I frequently get them lodged into other stumps, where it stops me dead in my tracks, instantly. A stump will NOT be moved by an atv-or most other machines short of a dozer for that matter, so when you do hit one in tow, it stops you immediately. I've done this on hard ground and either buried all four tires, sinking into the ground, or literally spinning all four tires on hardpack surface-now spinning 27" 'Claws on hardpack in the same spot-you'd surely think the belt would slip or burn before the tires would break loose-wouldn't you? I should add that while towing logs, I do so with a choker chain, so the logs are constantly being drug on the ground, digging trenches whereever I pull them-huge ground resistance there, coupled with the heavy weight of the load.

I'm sorry for the great length here, but I don't think I can honestly answer your question. I do think gears are stronger-but how much stronger is the question. I've been in so many positions and areas under so many different conditions with my 'Cat where the belt "should" have slipped or burnt under most peoples impressions, yet have had no problem what so ever. Simply put, if the 'Cat can pull the load, regardless of how heavy it is, it will. If it can't, it spins the tires or buries the machine to the ground-no belt problems ever. I personaly think that for ease of use with the auto, I would go that way from here on out. The next quad I purchase will be another auto, for the work I do and what my 'Cat has done, I just don't see the need for a manual. I love not worrying about which gear to be in, or loosing momentum and having to shift going uphill or through deep mud. Ease of operation is great-I just don't see a need for a manual in my circumstances.

I don't know if this has helped, or hindered your pondering thoughts, but if nothing else, it is something to think about.

Best of Luck,

Mike

Old 10-10-2001, 04:14 PM
TG1
Pro Rider

A little off the subject:
After riding several belt machines I now realize why more people are buying them than the traditional gearboxes. The auto always seems to be in the right gear at the right time. With a gear tranny the rider has to think (for a split second) before he/she reacts. There have been times when I've long for an auto (mud, water, hill climbs). However, I do like the idea of controlling a machine's tranny when going down steep hills, or over rough terrain. Not that anyone really cares... Just felt like voicing my opinon.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]